your weekly accounting podcast with a unique perspective. Join Taylor Arndt and Foster Brown as they talk about being blind tax professionals.
From Idea to Execution: A Journey to Starting Your Own Business(BookSight Episode 7)
Welcome to the BookSight Podcast, a weekly podcast dedicated to accounting, bookkeeping, and small business tasks. In this episode, Taylor Arndt and Michael Babcock start the long-awaited entrepreneurship series and discuss the things you need to know if you want to start your own business in 2023.Introduction:•Host: Taylor Arndt•Co-Host: Michael Babcock (Podcast Editor)•Topic: Starting a Business in 2023Key Points:1. Why January is a great time to start a business•New tax year and organized finances2. The importance of planning and preparing before starting a business•Defining what you want to serve and have a clear plan in place3. Evolution of a business: How Payown Media started and changed over time•Initially started with website work, then added voiceover work and expanded to live streaming and video media4. The flexibility to adapt and change as the business growsConclusion:Starting a business requires planning and preparation, but it's also important to be flexible and adapt as the business evolves. This entrepreneurship series will provide valuable insights and tips to help you get started on your own business journey in 2023.Thanks for tuning in to the BookSight Podcast. Make sure to tune in next week for another episode on accounting, bookkeeping, and small business tasks.
Overcoming Barriers: My Experience with Ultimate Tax and My Next Steps to Becoming an Enrolled Agent
Choosing the best tax preparation software is one of the most critical decisions for tax professionals. However, the lack of accessibility features offered in many of the existing tax software still presents a major challenge. Luckily, one innovative leader in this space support individuals and small businesses by providing an accessible service.
In this episode, I talk about my experience testing a tax preparation software that someone recommended to me, and how my views on this software ended up being surprisingly controversial. I also talk bout how to become an enrolled agent (EA), and I introduce you to the prep course that I would recommend to anyone considering becoming an enrolled agent. Tune in to learn more about this and other exciting topics!
| 3:01 | Discussing Ultimate Tax professional tax software | 10:44 | Tax professionals are demanding an accessible tax preparation software | 13:19 | Becoming an enrolled agent | 16:15 | TaxMama® - A pleasant surprise | 21:18 | Helping individuals who may be underrepresented | 25:17 | Interviews with family
· “I'm excited about Ultimate Tax because this opens up a door that I never thought I'd be able to go down. And that is becoming an enrolled agent.”
· “An enrolled agent is a very highly esteemed credential and having it will help you definitely stand out.”
· “If I can tell people that I can prepare their taxes, then they're going to be very happy because they're going to have someone who they can trust.”
· “Without my family's support, especially those who run businesses, I would not be in the position where I am because I know a lot because they've taught me.”
Connect with me:
Interview With My Grandmother Mary Arndt(BookSight Episode 5)
Welcome to BookSight, a weekly podcast dedicated to accounting, bookkeeping and small business tasks. In this bonus special episode, host Taylor Arndt interviews her grandmother, Mary Arndt, who runs her own business. Mary shares her story of how she got started in the world of entrepreneurship and how her business, an Aloette skincare and makeup line, grew from a hobby to a full-time job.Mary explains that she was introduced to Aloette by a friend, who gave her a sample of the products and she was immediately drawn to the organic and animal-free nature of the skincare line. She decided to start her own Aloette business and with the help of her husband, she grew her business and was eventually promoted to manager.Throughout the interview, Mary emphasizes the many benefits of being self-employed, including the freedom to make your own schedule and the ability to take vacation when you want. However, she also stresses the importance of understanding the responsibilities that come with being your own boss, such as having to make sure you are making enough money.Mary also shares her successful moments in her business, including being promoted to manager and earning trips and cruises through the company's rewards program. She also mentions that she was able to combine her love for travel with her business, as she was a tour guide for 23 years and enjoyed sharing the Aloette opportunity with many people while on tour.The conversation highlights the importance of believing in your product, and how having a great company to work with can make all the difference in being an entrepreneur.Links mentioned in this episodehttp://aloettebymary.com/https://www.facebook.com/stories/1556998724407552/UzpfSVNDOjczMjIzOTM2ODExOTU4Mw==/?view_single=truehttps://booksight.net/https://booksight.net/sponsor
"New Year Process Improvements(BookSight Episode 4)
Business bank accounts, accounting software, and payroll systems are all essential tools for managing the financial operations of a business. A business bank account is a dedicated account that allows a company to separate its business transactions from its personal finances. Accounting software is a computer program that helps businesses track and manage their financial transactions, such as invoices, expenses, and income. Payroll systems are used to process employee salaries and wages, manage tax withholding and benefits, and provide reports for HR and accounting purposes. Together, these tools help businesses efficiently manage their finances and stay organized and compliant with financial regulations.
In this episode, I discuss business bank accounts, the Quickbook accounting software, and payroll systems. I share recommendations for finding a bank, tips to know if the bank fits your business needs, and strategies for choosing the right accounting software. I also talk about how you can choose the right payroll software for your needs. Tune in to learn more!
[02:20] Business bank accounts
[07:32] How to make Quickbook accounting software better
[07:56] Recommendations for finding a new bank
[10:56] Knowing if a bank fits your needs
[13:11] Choosing the right patrol software
[18:57] The ADP accounting software
[20:11] Tips for choosing the right accounting software
[22:41] Liscio - A cloud practice management software for accountants and bookkeepers
● “The first fundamental part of your business is your bank account. Having a great bank account can scale your business.”
● “Just because you bank with a bank that is a good personal fit, it does not mean that it is a good business fit.”
● “January is the best time to switch payroll software.”
Connect with me:
The State Of Accessibility Of Professional Tax Software
The state of professional tax software for blind tax prepares is an important topic to consider, as it affects the ability of blind individuals to enter and succeed in the tax preparation industry. While there have been some advances in recent years in terms of accessible tax software for the blind, there are still challenges and limitations that need to be addressed.
In this episode, I talk about the major challenges in many popular tax software programs, the importance of tax software for blind tax preparers, and why I can’t use Turbo Tax for professional purposes. I also share some tips for handling the problem of inaccessible tax software for the blind. Tune in to learn more about this and other exciting topics!
[00:16] The news section
[02:34] About Chat GPT
[05:37] Tax software that accountants and other people use
[06:17] The biggest problem with taxes
[07:11] The importance of tax softwares for blind tax preparers
[09:29] What we can do about tax software for the blind
[11:17] Why I can’t use Turbo Tax for professional purposes
[15:13] Tips for handling the problem of inaccessible tax software for the blind
[16:17] Advice to blind tax preparers
[20:20] Call to action
● “The main problem with taxes is, no tax software is accessible for someone who is blind if they want to pursue tax preparation.”
● “Turbo Tax is the best tax software option for the blind.”
● “The safest and most effective way to make tax preparation software accessible will be to use what we already have, which is Turbo Tax.”
● “If you want to be a blind tax preparer, there is no tax software accessible right now for a blind person to prepare returns.”
Connect with me:
Become our donors:
Accounting Conferences and Tech Updates
Welcome to the second episode of theBookSight Podcast, a weekly show hosted by myself, Taylor Arndt, and it’s dedicated to accounting, bookkeeping, and small business tasks. In this episode, I will talk about how I’m planning to make the podcast better for all the listeners, but first, I’ll talk about my blindness and my new refreshableMantis Q40 Braille Display device that helps me write notes and keep me organized.
Since I want to be a champion of accessibility, I have decided to include transcripts for my podcasts so that people who are deaf or hard of hearing can be able to enjoy my content, as well as others who maybe are in the car or who don't want to listen to the sound but want to read a text transcript. Please stay tuned for this and much more updates!
[00:00:55] Today’s sponsor for the Podcast: Taylor’s Financial Services
[00:01:27] The format for upcoming BookSight podcasts
[00:02:33] Upcoming conferences and QuickBooks Connect updates
[00:08:57] Taylor talks about her blindness
[00:11:28] Taylor’s new refreshable braille display device
[00:13:02] Podcast editor: Michael Babcock
[00:15:18] The microphone Taylor is using
[00:16:13] Transcripts for all the BookSight podcasts
[00:18:18] The BookSight Podcast website
[00:23:07] Setting your Business Up for Success in the New Year series, January 2023
● Using braille is how people who are blind can read, and it helps me to be able to be more efficient because I won't have to listen to speech in my ear constantly; I can be able to reference this Braille and have my notes.
● The Mantis Q40 is helpful because I can write notes down and keep myself more organized.
● If you guys have a podcast and want to help make sure it sounds good, I don't know of a better person to check out than PayOwn Media.
● But the way I view it, transcripts are an accessibility feature, and I want my podcast to be a role model of accessibility in the bookkeeping and financial industry.
● I will be a champion of accessibility, and so one of those areas of accessibility that I want to make sure that I live up to is including transcripts of my podcasts so that people who are deaf or hard of hearing can be able to enjoy my content, as well as others who maybe are in the car, or who don't want to listen to the sound but want to read a text transcript.
Mantis Q40 Braille Display:Mantis Q40 Braille Display
PayOwn Media Website:PayOwn Media
ATR2100 Audio-Technica Microphone:ATR2100 Audio-Technica Microphone
CPA Site Solutions Website:https://www.cpasitesolutions.com/
The BookSight Podcast:
To connect with Taylor:
To connect with Michael Babcock: