This week Aaron and Tracy chat with Brad Rodriguez of Fix This, Build That about ways to establish your DIY confidence and potentially transition it into a business.
You can always call and leave your questions and comments on our voicemail!
NOTABLE MOMENTS :
- Brad was in corporate America for 17 years before he went this route.
- He sets defined goals and thinks ahead for what he wants to accomplish daily in the shop to make his time more efficient.
- His philosophy for Fix This, Build That is: Educate, Inspire, Entertain.
- In terms of getting your feet wet with DIY, Brad suggests: “Start with something you’re going to have success with”.
- A skill Brad wants to add to his arsenal is metal working.
- His favorite wood to work with is walnut.
- This is Brad’s favorite project to date (a side-board cabinet): https://fixthisbuildthat.com/diy-sideboard-cabinet-woodworking-plans-2/
- Tool Must-Haves for the beginner: 3 piece cordless 18 volt set (drill, driver, circular saw), orbital sander, tape measure, pencil, carpenter square.
- Brad recommends letting other people know you’re into woodworking, because people will cycle through tools and pass them on or give you a heads up about estate sales etc.
- Some of Brad’s favorite resources are Pinterest and Google image searches. He’s also inspired by hotels.
Q: As a maker is it hard to stay on top of personal work for your home and family?
A: It absolutely is. Brad also talked about the guilt of balancing projects between children.
Q: What is your “woulda shoulda been” career?
A: Brad’s always thought he would be a good litigators.
Q: Now that you do your hobby as a business, what do you do for fun?
A: Brad enjoys the business side of the making (the analytics etc.), but is working hard to step away from the business and focus on hobbies again. Right now the down time is dedicated to the kids and occasional Netflix.
Website | https://www.fixthisbuildthat.com
The Gram | https://www.instagram.com/fixthisbuildthat
Podcast | https://madeforprofit.com/episodes
YouTube | http://youtube.com/c/fixthisbuildthat
FOLLOW US on Social Media:
Website | https://howtohome.com/
Instagram | http://bit.ly/2WqVfSp
Twitter | http://bit.ly/2RRyYij
Facebook | http://bit.ly/2MC3Hdc
Youtube | http://bit.ly/2SifqTH
SUBSCRIBE to the How to Home Podcast:
Itunes | https://apple.co/2DL0lSp
Android | http://bit.ly/2B9k7Fm
Stitcher | http://bit.ly/2DM0W6c
Spotify | https://spoti.fi/2GcRCKo
THANK YOU TO OUR SPONSOR FILTERBUY.COM