Destination Earth is a high precision digital model of the Earth. It is the EU’s flagship initiative to create a digital replica of our entire planet. "This replica is a Digital Twin in fact. It’s a gigantic task, that requires the world’s biggest computing to create the most precise data to tackle climate change.” That’s how Dr. Peter Bauer describes this 7 billion Euro project which he heads.
It's part of the EU’s Green Deal to tackle climate change and it is meant to provide pinpoint evidence-based support to enable Member States to implement the green transformation. Destination Earth aims to provide the complex software and hardware environment needed for the next generation of very high-resolution prediction models. By 2030, it is expected to have been achieved.
DestinE Actors: EU Commission, European Space Agency, European Centre for Medium-Range Weather Forecasts and European Organisation for the Exploitation of Meteorological Satellites
Peter Bauer talks about:
- How Destination Earth can help the planet to heal - first digitally, then in reality
- How to improve our understanding of climate change and enable solutions at global, regional and local level
- How to predict where to live safely for the next five decades
- What Destination Earth has in common with the Metaverse
- Obstacles and finances including the impact of the energy crisis