What’s happening with digital media right now? This podcast provides a casual pulse on industry developments and applicable strategies for staying relevant in a rapidly evolving landscape. Marketers get a boost from digital marketing experts that solve real-time problems and help brands thrive.
Episode 5: Q4 Digital Marketing Report: The Ups, Downs, and The Unexpected
After a tumultuous year, the 4th quarter of 2020 brought some welcomed positive trends. Travel declines improved, retail continued to see strength, and there were signs of customers starting to venture back out to stores. Some unique conditions, like Prime Day in October, the presidential election, and increased COVID-19 cases, also led to some surprising trends. Andreah and Gaia sat down with Melissa Reilly to talk about Merkle’s Digital Marketing Report and learn how all of these factors influenced Q4 performance across search, paid social, and Amazon ads.
Access the Q4 2020 Digital Marketing Report
How Did the Digital Marketing Industry Fare in Q4 2020? (Blog)
Episode 4: Super Bowl Ads in 2021: The Year Big Brands Declined Commercial Spots
In addition to being the National Football League's championship game, the Super Bowl is also one of the biggest days for advertisers. It looked a little different this year, though. With many advertisers pulling back or not running commercials at all during the big game, it begs the question, "What did they do instead?" Andreah and Gaia sit down with Merkle's Katie Cottam to discuss and learn what strategies brands pivoted to instead of the typical TV spot.
Read the referenced blog post here.
Episode 3: 2021 SEO Strategy – The Next Evolution of Complexity
What’s up next for SEO in 2021? Gaia and Andreah talk with Merkle’s Melody Petulla about her predictions for search this year and how you can prepare.
Melody’s 2021 predictions for SEO:
• Next evolution of complexity of Google’s methods for understanding scoring websites, such as core web vitals or E-A-T signals
• Impacts to click-through-rate (CTR) will continue to be felt as Google continues to become a destination, not just a search engine
Melody’s 2021 predictions for digital marketing:
• Continued sophistication of digital marketing in terms of the overall landscape that will lead to more personalization of websites and targeting
Episode 2: Display & Paid Social Strategy in 2021 – Leaning into New Ways to Interact with Customers
What trends can marketers expect within display and paid social in 2021? How will these trends differ from 2020? Andreah and Gaia discuss marketing trends with Merkle’s Emily Roe and they get her thoughts on what’s up next for these channels.
Emily’s 2021 predictions for display and paid social:
• Expect to see a continuation of trends that started as big shifts in 2020 from the pandemic, but will see some reversions to pre-COVID-19 behavior in 2021 as vaccines become more widely available
• Brands will lean into innovative ways to interact with their customers, such as social commerce and virtual reality
• Going to see a continued increase in spend for display and paid social
Emily’s 2021 predictions for digital marketing:
• Privacy will transpire into targetability and measurement conversations and marketers will really start to feel the impact of these privacy changes
*Please note that CCPA stands for California Consumer Privacy Act
Episode 1: SEM Marketing Trends in 2021 – You Need to Adapt!
What sort of trends can we expect within paid search in 2021? How will these trends be different from those in 2020? Gaia and Andreah sit down with Merkle’s Matt Mierzejewski to discuss, and get his thoughts on, what search marketers can expect in 2021.
Matt’s 2021 predictions for SEM:
• Privacy will be key as marketers learn how it will impact their channels.
• Search practitioners need to adapt:
o Time investment in non-Google engines
o By working with different departments such as analytics and data science
Matt’s 2021 predictions for digital marketing:
• Expect to continue seeing a surge in visualized search
• Apple will reveal formal plans to launch its own search engine
Welcome to Digital Marketing Musings
What is Digital Marketing Musings? Hosts Gaia Read and Andreah McCartney share their plans for this podcast and vlog series, which touches on all things digital marketing. This new podcast series is perfect for anyone interested in digital marketing ― from hobbyists, to someone looking to get into the field or already working in the industry.