Created by a Father-Daughter team, E and Me is designed to help other families have honest conversations about important topics. E is 12, and she talks each episode with her Dad about things like relationships, body image, faith, doubt, and the difficulties of growing up. Above all, E and Me is about love and sharing truth.
Shelter in Place
This episode, which was recorded just before the Shelter in Place order started in Illinois, E and Me talk about their fears, anxieties, and disappointments surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic.
Some of the questions we ponder:
1. How is the shelter-in-pace affected you? Is your mood different? How are you handling the initial disappointment surrounding all that has been cancelled?
2. Name some of the fears we share. Not in order to panic one another, but to be honest about what is happening.
3. How do you respond to fear?
We kick off season 2 with a special guest: Lucy! Our biggest podcast fan is E's little sister, so she joined us for this episode, and the topic was her idea too. We talk about sibling rivalry, jealousy over attention among friends and over stuff, and how to deal with jealous feelings.
Some of the questions we ponder:
1. How does jealousy effect siblings and friends?
2. What are the items (like shoes or phones) that make kids jealous at school?
In episode 4, we talk about the future. No, not flying cars or colonies on Mars. More like, what E wants to be when she grows up. Growing up, finding talents, and being involved with activities can become stressful. How do we navigate all the activities? How do you decide what you want to be?
Some questions we ponder:
1. What do/did you want to be when you grow/grew up?
2. What are the things that you love to do, that make you who you are?
Relationships, part 2
This is Relationships, part 2. Also known as "I like like you." We talk about having a crush, when our relationships with boys/girls shifted. Plus, Robb talks about the idea of meeting a boy Ellie brings home with a shot gun. Spoiler Alert: It's stupid. We also talk about the importance of loving and being kind to kids who are discovering that they are LGBTQ.
Some of the questions we ask:
1. When was your first crush?
2. What was your relationship with boys/girls like before you started getting crushes? How did it change?
3. When we tell girls that "that boy who is being mean to you really likes you," what are we saying to our girls? What are we saying to our boys?
Relationships, part 1
This is Relationships, part 1. Also known as "I like you." Next episode will be "I like like you." In this episode we talk about friendships, the importance of trust, and how to rise above the drama. Friendships are an important part of growing up, so there are chances to talk about jealousy, trust, bullying, and drama magnets.
We ask an important question: How can you tell the difference between good friends and toxic friends?
Body image and fitness
In this first episode of the E and Me Podcast, we introduce the concept of the show. Then we get into three segments: Beauty, Body image and self love, and fitness. We pause twice for a few important questions
What is beautiful? What do you see when you look in the mirror? When did you start to criticize your body?
Great listen for dads
As a relatively new dad (my son is two, and Baby #2 is due in Sept.) this is a beautiful example of open and honest conversation between parent and child. Thank you, Rob and Elle, for modeling a loving parent/child relationship and how to have meaningful, respectful conversations.
This is a great way for kids and parents to grow closer together. The conversation breaks help make this the most interactive podcast I know.
First 4 episodes
Great podcast!! Very real conversations about life and growing up.