- High school girls and young women are feeling stress and the common denominator is expectations around high school, college, and choosing a career path.
- We put a lot of stress on ourselves (inner stressors) to measure up to expectations – ones that are put on us and ones that we create for ourselves.
- Pressure from outer sources (parents, society, administration, etc.) can cause stress, especially if we don't feel like we're measuring up to their expectations. We can feel like we're letting people down.
- Many times, we handle stress by expressing other emotions (sadness, anger, irritability, etc.), but not everyone experiences or handles stress in the same way.
- Being able to healthily cope with our own stress allows us to help others healthily cope with their stress.
"It's not unrealistic to dream and want big things for yourself." - Rachel
"Give 100% of your 80%." - Caroline
"You can do it – you just have to decide." - Barbara Hogan
- Create a game plan for how to handle stress when it comes up. Have a Plan B if you can't do Plan A. Keep them in your mental back pocket so they are readily available when they are needed!
- Find a person you can talk to daily about how you really feel and not just say "I'm fine."
Dr. Melinda Hubbard -
Sinclair Community College
fadedRED.com - born to serve, live to lead