Cancel culture is the new rave in COVID 2020. One false move by a person, group or organization and you’re over, done with. Or as they say, you’re cancelled. But is cancel culture the way of kindness? Would Jesus be for it? If not, then how do we stand for what is right and still show uncommon kindness? That’s why we’ve invited pastor and author of Messy Grace, Caleb Kaltenbach to help us figure out how!
- Cancel culture is like the old west, there are no rules or goals.
- Cancel culture is about shaming and bullying.
- Cancel culture has become the very thing it sought out to get rid of.
- Brené Brown: “Guilt is doing something bad, shame is being a bad person.
- Cancel culture doesn’t allow for empathy
- Brené Brown: “Empathy is the ability to feel with another person.”
- You don’t to agree with someone to empathize.
- Caleb: “You can’t walk miles in someone else’s shoes, but you can walk miles with someone.”
- Brent Leggs: “We should not erase our history. At the same time, we don’t have to revere it.”
- Cancel culture dismisses, dehumanize, demonizes and doesn’t allow for dialogue.
- Our differences make us better - they should drive us to each other, not from.
- Kerry Patterson: “Dialogue happens in environments where people feel safe to be able to share and to exchange thoughts, opinions, ideas, views and values.”
- Arthur Brooks: “It’s not about disagreeing less, it’s about disagreeing better.”
Messy Grace found HERE (https://www.amazon.com/Messy-Grace-Parents-Sacrificing-Conviction/dp/1601427360/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Messy+grace&qid=1596228116&sr=8-1)
God of Tomorrow found HERE (https://www.amazon.com/God-Tomorrow-Overcome-Fears-Future/dp/0735289980/ref=sr_1_1?crid=25K86JT9029DT&dchild=1&keywords=god+of+tomorrow+caleb+kaltenbach&qid=1596228154&sprefix=God+of+tomorrow%2Caps%2C232&sr=8-1)
Messy Truth coming August 2021
Brené Brown’s Books:
- Dare To Lead found HERE (https://www.amazon.com/Dare-Lead-Brave-Conversations-Hearts/dp/0399592520/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=Dare+to+lead&qid=1596228227&sr=8-3)
- Gifts of Imperfection found HERE (https://www.amazon.com/Gifts-Imperfection-Think-Supposed-Embrace/dp/159285849X/ref=sr_1_1?crid=BRYYSAMUOHM1&dchild=1&keywords=gifts+of+imperfection+book+brene+brown&qid=1596228268&sprefix=Gifts+of+im%2Caps%2C511&sr=8-1)
Kerry Patterson’s Book:
- Crucial Conversations found HERE (https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-Conversations-Talking-Stakes-Second/dp/0071771328/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1XERS433XNF55&dchild=1&keywords=crucial+conversations&qid=1596228335&sprefix=Crucial%2Caps%2C359&sr=8-1)