Nkem Nwankwo, Senior Product Manager at BetterCloud, describes what he does to excel as a Product Manager. Nkem has over 5 years of experience as a PM. His educational background consists of a B.S. in Computer Science from Georgia Tech and MBA from Ross School of Business.
Some of the areas that Nkem touches upon include:
1. What Nkem focuses on - Ruthless prioritization, Time Management, Stakeholder management, Personal management
2. For prioritization, Nkem uses a whiteboard that forces him to focus on only the most important items each day
3. How he comes to office 3 hours before everyone else to get work done
4. How he does not go for meetings unless explicitly asked to
5. How having an understanding of the informal networks in your organization can really help get things done - since a lot of this job requires influencing people
6. Communication - bad news should flow faster in an organization than good news
7. Staying up to date with the industry and exposing himself to new ideas through reading and listening to podcasts
8. Mistakes Nkem sees business school candidates make when recruiting for PM roles
9. How you can add value in a variety of ways as a PM - being technical is not necessary. Eg: You can excel at communication and a thorough understanding of the user.
Thank you for listening!!
Follow the show on Twitter @LED_Curator
Like us on FaceBook at www.facebook.com/learneducatediscover/
Email us at hello@learneducatediscover. We will reply!!
Subscribe to the show on iTunes itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/learn…ver/id1049159321