EMplify June 2020
Multi-system Inflammatory Syndrome in Children (MIS-C) with COVID-19: An Interview with Dr. Ilene Claudius and Dr. Mohsen Saidinejad.
* What is it and when did we discover it as an entity?
* Have either of you treated anyone with the disease?
* Discussion of different cohorts of patients with MIS-C.
* Definition of MIS-C.
* Shock: cardiogenic and distributive shock presentations.
* Fever, is 4 days required?
* Discussion of where in the COVID-19 illness MIS-C occurs.
* Is clinical shock a requirement?
* Screening criteria (labs) and the Children’s Hospital Of Philadelphia pathway.
* What is available as treatment?
* A discussion of IVIG
* Cytokine blockers
* Why IVIG?
* Complications of the disease.
* Why are there more cases in New York?
* How has MIS-C changed your practice of testing children?
* Is there utility in testing for COVID-19 infection or antibodies in these cases?
Resources:EB Medicine Novel 2019 Coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19): An Updated Overview for Emergency Clinicians (https://www.ebmedicine.net/topics/infectious-disease/COVID-19)
EB Medicine COVID-19: The Impact on Pediatric Emergency Care (https://www.ebmedicine.net/topics/infectious-disease/COVID-19-Peds)
Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia Clinical Pathway for MIS-C. (https://www.chop.edu/clinical-pathway/multisystem-inflammatory-syndrome-mis-c-clinical-pathway)
Have questions or comments on the podcast? Leave us a voicemail at 678-336-8466, ext 128 or write us at email@example.com (mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org) .