Podcasts are a great way for a business to spread its message in an engaging way.Creating a podcast is open to anyone. However, the podcast launch and consistently producing content is not necessarily easy. You need to create a show that’s not only interesting and informative, but also attracts a loyal audience that will keep coming back.
Fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on what you read), there’s a lot of advice out there for podcasting newbies looking to for a successful podcast launch. From planning out your content to marketing your brand, here are eight tips we start with as we on-board our podcast clients to Circle270Media.
1. For A Successful Podcast Launch, Do Your ResearchCurrently, there are more than 1.5 million podcasts, with over 5000 added per day (this according to https://mypodcastreviews.com/podcast-industry-statistics/ (mypodcastreviews.com)). They are all vying for listener attention. Our advice - don’t leave marketing to chance. Create a marketing strategy. People can’t listen if they can’t find you.
2. Determine A Structure For Your ShowOrganize your podcast into a show with parts and predictability. Why? So that your guests and audience know what to expect. Listeners will come to expect a certain rhythm and flow to your show over time.
3. Create A Content CalendarPrior to your podcast launch, plan your content and decide how many episodes you want to publish in a month. Establish a content calendar. Have a clear idea of what you need to accomplish. Follow an outline so you won’t get off topic.
You might have to have a rough script initially, until you get more comfortable with your podcast style and rhythm. Or minimally, script your intro and outro so you feel comfortable beginning and ending each episode.
Remember, the plan should to build on the brand you are creating or have created. Everything you do is aligned with that in mind.
4. Make Your Show About Your ListenersKnow your goal and purpose for doing a podcast. It will be a lot of work, and that's why so many podcasters turn to podcast consultants or podcast managers like Circle270Media Podcast Consultants.
Your podcast is a marketing and sales tool that can softly lead prospects to work with you and your company.
Find ways to make the show about the listener. Provide your listeners with a value that keeps them engaged and wanting to know more about you.
5. Prepare Your Show Guests I usually send my guests a list of the questions that will be asked, but I always provide an outline for the show's flow. This gives them an idea of how to prepare without being too prepared.
6. Ask For Listener ReviewsOne of the techniques that I have seen work very well with growing your podcast is asking your listeners for reviews. This should start to happen from the first episode of your podcast launch.
And I'm not talking about reviews on social media.
Drive your listeners to review your podcast and podcast episodes on your podcast website. The podcasting market is saturated with a lot of different choices. In order to stand out and differentiate your podcast from the market noise, ask your viewers to leave reviews, no matter how small your audience.
This gives you the opportunity to learn what your listeners like or dislike about your podcast. As well as creating an opportunity for listener engagement.
7. Get Objective Feedback On Your Speaking AbilitiesJoin a speakers club like Toastmasters. This will give you the opportunity to get insightful and empowering feedback. Filler words can be distracting. Like “so,” “you know” and “um.”
These can be irritating to your listeners.
They are to you, right?
Writing and speaking are different. You may have to start practicing and focusing on how you speak, so you know how that's going to sound good.
8. StartIt’s easy for our first-time podcaster clients to get analysis paralysis