This week’s interview is with Katie, who initially came on board my business as my virtual assistant. Now, she’s so much more than that. As well as sharing our journey, we talk about how to find a VA for your own business. We cover 5 things that you can do within your own business to help improve your organisation, which is what Katie does for me on a day to day basis. The episode is a light-hearted and honest discussion about what I do well and what I am not so great at, making it another one of my favourite episodes so far.
Key Takeaways Covered in the Podcast
• Project management platforms are perfect for a business hub, as you can see exactly what you’re doing and when. Not only that, but it gives you confidence that you’re on the right track.
• If you can, try not to keep more than one notebook. Once you’ve written your meeting notes down, transfer them into your business hub and project management platform.
• Try to keep everything in one place if you can.
• Use your calendar to dedicate time to certain tasks. Block it out and be as disciplined as you can. If you don’t, overwhelm will start to kick in.
• It’s important to be flexible, but you need to be as strict as you possibly can.
• Have a daily or weekly review to look over everything. Look at where you are, what has slipped and what you need to look at in the following week. Not only that but think about what has gone well.
• You need to get your business to a place where you can feel comfortable enough to leave. Whether it’s for a day or for a two-week vacation, you can’t be IN your business all the time.
• If you want a team to give you the freedom to step away, start now.
• Recording your screen when you’re carrying out important business processes is a great way to pass important training on to your team.
• In order to achieve points 1, 2, 3 and 4, you need to build habits to make things stick. Whilst that means giving things time, it will be worth it in the end.
• Don’t give your ideas and time away for free.
One thing you need to remember above all else…
Unless you have the foundations in place to make your business succeed, it won’t work. You can have incredible ideas but without the systems there to back you up, chances are they won’t come to light.
Highlights you Simply Can’t Miss
• Introducing Katie - 02:56
• How Katie Plays a Huge Park in my Business - 07:20
• #1 Build Your Business Hub – 19:35
• #2 Be Organised and Intentional About How You Spend Your Time – 26:36
• #3 Stay in Control of Your Business - 32:44
• #4 Ensure You Have Systems and Processes in Place - 35:50
• #5 Build Habits to Make Things Stick – 42:20