The last word in podcasting news... every Thursday in Podland, James Cridland from Podnews in Australia and Sam Sethi, from Sam Talks Technology in the UK, join forces to review and analyse some of the weeks top podcasting news from around the world. They also interview some of the biggest names making the news. This podcast is sponsored by Buzzsprout and Riverside FM.
Dr Brian of London talks Web 3, Podping, Hive and Dairy Cows? James now speaks fluent Spanish thanks to Veritone MARVEL․ai and Genevieve Hassan's podcast takes off with 5M Virgin Atlantic passengers.
Listen to James Cridland and Sam Sethi they talk to
Dr Brian of London about his work on Podping and Hive. Genevieve Hassan about her podcast Celebrity Catch Up: Life After That Thing I DidNEWS:
Sounds Profitable en Español starts today, as Bryan Barletta explains in Sounds Profitable with Podsights. The podcast adtech newsletter will be translated and produced using technology from Veritone MARVEL․ai: and so will the Sounds Profitable en Español podcast, with Bryan sounding as if he speaks Spanish fluently… but he doesn’t.
Using the same synthetic voice technology, you can hear James Cridland, speaking Spanish (he doesn’t speak it either) in our podcast today. It’s quite a thing.
Exclusive: Spotify is closing in on Apple Podcasts and indie podcast apps are becoming less popular, according to new data released to Podnews by Podtrac today. Calculated from over a billion US podcast downloads in September, for monthly audience, Spotify is now less than three percentage points away from Apple. But, for monthly streams/downloads, Apple is more than seven times larger - and that number’s growing.
Facebook has launched an “Audio” hub on their mobile apps, including podcasts and live audio rooms. You’ll find it in the “Watch” tab (obviously). It’s available only within the US.
Spotify have released their first UK video podcast, which can be watched on the app itself. Internet Sensation is already a popular podcast series by ImAllexx, and it's becoming a Spotify exclusive - are Spotify attempting to take on YouTube? Watch now >>
Spotify has launched two new shows about Spotify this month. Spotify: Mic Check launches on Oct 19 with “intimate conversations with musicians and podcasters from around the world, sharing exclusive recordings and personal stories in their own words”.
We’re told that the other, Spotify: Discover This, is brand new and launches today, though you’ll spot 11 episodes that have been published in the past year. It promises fresh insights on music, podcasting, cultural moments, and trends.Buzzsprout Podcast hosting and a whole lot moreRiverside.FM Podcast recording made simple. The easiest way to record podcasts in studio quality from anywhere.
Chris Messina talks about Spotify Ads, the history of open formats on the social web and how ActivityPub could impact the future of Podcasting?
Listen to James Cridland and Sam Sethi as they talk to Chris Messina about his work on OpenWeb Standards such as ActivityStreams that became ActivityPub. He wrote this seminal post on Medium about ActivityStreams and ActivityPub in 2008
GUEST: Chris Messina is the inventor of the hashtag as it is currently used on social media platforms. In a 2007 tweet, Messina proposed vertical/associational grouping of messages, trends, and events on Twitter by the means of hashtags.
Spotify has made a series of announcements about podcast monetisation. First up, top Anchor podcasters in the US can now be part of the Spotify Audience Network. These ads are called “Automated ads” since they’ll be automatically inserted: if you’re with Anchor, you can join the waitlist today.
Anchor has also launched “Premium sponsorships”, where they sell host-read sponsor credits on your behalf: you’ll be contacted if you qualify.
Anchor’s original Anchor Sponsorships is now rebranded “Ambassador ads”, where you spread the word about Anchor to your listeners.
Spotify Ad Studio, Spotify’s self-serve ad buying service, will offer podcast ad buying “in our podcast network” (again, for the US only).
Spotify has also announced it’s joined the Global Alliance of Responsible Media, added the ability to exclude sensitive topics, and improved their contextual targeting tools.
Separately, Spotify has published a whitepaper on the evolution of podcast advertising, including a short and selective section on podcasting’s history, which doesn’t mention Adam Curry nor Apple.
First look: Supercast has opened their integration with Spotify Open Access, which enables publishers to offer gated content within Spotify’s app. It’s the first subscription platform to offer the Spotify Open Access integration to all its users.
Open RSS rated good by Acast. Closed Apple Podcast app rated bad by its users. #Discuss
Listen to James Cridland and Sam Sethi as they celebrate 'International Podcast Day'.
GUESTS:: Ross Adams and Johan Billgren from Acast
1. Twitter has launched crypto-tipping using the lightning network: the same tool used by Podcasting 2.0 Value4Value apps. The tool uses the Strike API. It’s “rolling out” on iOS.
2. iOS 15's “Private Relay” has gone live: but what effect will it have on your podcast stats, and on ad-tech? There’s also a new 1.25x playback speed control in Apple Podcasts in iOS 15.
3. Love Apple Podcasts? You can now rate and review inbuilt iOS apps like Apple Podcasts. At the time of writing, Apple Podcasts was the company's worst-rated app with just 2.0 stars after 152 ratings.
4. Apple Podcasts has published its most popular paid subscriptions channels, and most popular free ones. They have never done this before.
5. The world’s #3 podcast app, Google Podcasts, is getting a full Material You update. “Material You” will be the new style for Android 12, which is shortly to be released.
6. Research company Statistia has published a map of where podcasts are most popular. We tell you who are the top 3.
7. IMDb.com have created a great landing page for all of the winners and nominees from five years of British Podcast Awards!
8. A new podcast audio checking service called Vib3s has launched.
9. Podcast hosting company Transistor.fm has teased their upcoming dynamic audio insertion tool. The system will offer pre-roll and post-roll.
10. Podcast hosting company Captivate Audio Ltd revealed their new embeddable podcast player - it’s completely screenreader accessible, responsive and has a fully customisable design. The company also promises “a big reveal” later today on International Podcast Day. (Podland's host is an advisor.)
11. Wondery has launched a kids podcast subscription service, Wondery+ Kids. For $4.99, the service provides early access to new episodes and exclusive access to select episodes of favourite shows.
Buzzsprout Podcast hosting and a whole lot moreRiverside.FM Podcast recording made simple. The easiest way to record podcasts in studio quality from anywhere.
Research, research everywhere but who is right? Nielsen says podcasting is still growing. eMarketer says Spotify has overtaken Apple Podcasts and Arete Research says Spotify's management needs to change!
Listen to James Cridland and Sam Sethi
- Richard Kramer - Arete Research
- Bruce Supovitz - Nielsen
- Arica McKinnon - Nielsen
1. Edison Research - whilst podcast listening has grown, 44% of US Latinos haven’t yet listened to a podcast.
2. Triton Digital - US Podcasting Report for August. Downloads are up 11% from July, as the Apple bugfix rolled out. Stitcher is #1 for podcasts.
3. The New York Times - Cuban podcasts are booming
4. Interview: Nielsen released their 'Podcasting Today' Report.
5. WARC Research - 31% of consumer media consumption is now audio - but only 8.8% of the average media advertising budget is allocated to audio, says new research from
6. Apple's iOS 15 is here
7. eMarketer suggests that Spotify will overtake Apple Podcasts
8. Interview: Richard Kramer says Spotify exclusives don't work and they need to change their management.
9. The History of British podcasting
10. Podcast Index - Phase 3 is closed (1st June 2021) and Phase 4 is now open (closes on 1st Dec 2021). One tag we discuss is the new namespace tag.
11. Podcastfestival 2021: Sep 23 · Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands
12. Trade Secrets with the multi-award-winning team – Performing Artist and Podcaster George the Poet & Producer Benbrick: Sep 29 · Virtual
13. She Podcasts LIVE 2021: Oct 14 · Scottsdale, Arizona, USA
14. The Ambies are open.
#podcast #marketing #events #events #ios #podland
In our opinion, we need better listener tools - Clips, Comments and Content moderation. Oscar Merry talks about Fountain App, Alex Jacobi talks about the Open Podcast Analytics Format and will Podcasting Kill the Radio Star?
Listen to James Cridland and Sam Sethi
Oscar Merry - talks about Fountain App (clips, boostergrams and chapters)Alex Jacobi - talks about OPAF (Open Podcast Analytics Format) SHOW NOTES
In a client note, Richard Kramer, an analyst from Arete Research has criticised Spotify.
Our Editor asked Spotify for all his personal data, to discover Spotify knows what kind of car he drives, and what length podcast he prefers - and why Spotify will never know as much as Apple or Google.
Meanwhile, 9to5Mac says Spotify falls short as a podcast app. (Hasn’t stopped it from being #1 in many markets).
The number of podcasts in Spanish grew 6.8 times last year, according to iVoox.
Simplecast founder and CEO Brad Smith has been promoted he’s been named Head of Podcast Products for SiriusXM.
"Podcasting Killed the Radio Star" - River Radio, a radio station in the UK, is working with podcast company Whooshkaa to be a “podcast-first radio station”. The station has around twenty subject-focused hour-long shows.
Moon lets you transfer sats into a single-use VISA card
JustCast now supports value4value and soundbites
PodFest Origins: Nov 4-5 at the Amalie Arena in Tampa FL
She Podcasts LIVE 2021: Oct 14 - Scottsdale, Arizona
Radiodays Europe: Oct 9-11 - Lisbon, Portugal
Passing the RSS buck! Is unmoderated podcasting spreading misinformation? Do podcasting apps need better content moderation reporting tools? Twitter to support Value4Value boosts.
Listen to James Cridland and Sam Sethi
Valerie Wirtschafter - The Brookings InstitutionAndrew Craissati - AuddyNEWS HEADLINES:
Podcasting is "an ideal tool to inject false or misleading information into mainstream discourse while going undetected", according to research from Valerie Wirtschafter
The Australian High Court found that, by running the Facebook pages, the media groups participated in communicating defamatory material posted by third parties and were therefore responsible for the comments.
Apple has been forced to allow media apps to link to websites for payment. The change should allow simpler methods to pay for third-party content that isn’t subject to Apple’s 30% commission. The new policy takes effect in early 2022.
RedCircle has landed $6m in funding. The company monetises podcasts, selling host-read ads or programmatic advertising, as well as a method of selling podcast subscriptions.
In Germany, Alex Jacobi criticises the state of podcast statistics: notably, the lack of standard data export and APIs from podcast hosts for statistics. He has proposed OPAF data exchange standard (Open Podcast Analytics Format).
Podnews has published its first ranker - the people and companies who we’ve written about over the past 90 days.
PodNews updated their guide on how to earn value4value from your podcast.
Twitter has confirmed that it is working on a tipping process using Bitcoin and the lightning network. This is of interest for podcasters because it uses the same technology as value4value listening, including 'boosts’. “If every Twitter user has a lightning wallet, the listener onboarding problem gets solved overnight,” said Podcast Index’s Dave Jones.
Podcast consultant Dave Jackson’s wonderful new Podcast ‘Leading The Bleeding’ talks about podcasting and Bitcoin. In EP2 James mentioned building something with the Podcast Index API to show only podcasts with Value4Value - podnews.net/search