In this episode we interview Sarah Sentilles, author of a newly released book by Random House titled Stranger Care. "Stranger Care" is a beautifully written book that captures the promise and often the failure of foster care. And it is a beautiful portrait of love with no promise of a future.
In this episode, we cover:
Beautifully written book that captures the promise and often the failure of foster care. And a beautiful portrait of love with no promise of a future.
· How did you come to the decision to become foster parents? And did you come to that decision or were you really trying to become an adoptive parent?
· Discussion of “ethically cleaner”.
· I appreciated how you showed Evelyn, the birth mom, to be human and to love her child. You did a good job of showing the nuances, which are hard to do, especially when you are the one losing the child. I very much enjoyed seeing how that relationship grew. What helped change it?
· Rooting for and against birth mom
· Love and yet not belonging to you
· The power of the state to remove kids should not be used without great care.
· What qualifies as good parenting and is “good enough” enough. Ex. of the car seat.
· Keeping siblings together.
· It is discouraging that organizations, such as Creating a Family exist to support people like you when you were first considering your options. And if we didn’t reach someone like you who is educated and I would assume someone who researches and gathers info then how in the world do we reach people. Education research focused woman are our demographic!
· How long has it been and do you know what has happened to Coco?
· How have you and your husband been changed by this experience?
· Is this book in part an attempt to reach out to Coco. Did you write it with an ear to her reading it later in life and you talking to her. Do you hope she will hear about it and read it?
· Did you decide to give up on fostering? What about adopting?
This podcast is produced by www.CreatingaFamily.org. We are a national non-profit with the mission to strengthen and inspire adoptive, foster & kinship parents and the professionals who support them. Creating a Family brings you the following trauma-informed, expert-based content:
Weekly podcastsWeekly articles/blog postsResource pages on all aspects of family building
Support the show (https://creatingafamily.org/donation/)