Welcome, welcome, welcome to EPISODE 200 of the Distraction Pieces Podcast with Scroobius Pip! Hardcore die-hard listeners (aka Team 3W) will have heard the word ‘welcome’ WELL over 600 times so far at the start of the podcast so add those three from just now to the pile… A huge, incredibly appreciative and gracious thank you to all of you for tuning in, and being a part of the 11 million plus listens to the podcast so far! Anyway, without inhaling our own exhausts too much here, let’s get going - this one’s an amazing one, and truly a chat for this milestone episode - please welcome Jess Thom, performer, comedian and founder of Tourettes Hero!
Tourettes affects people in all kinds of different ways, but a key feature is the ‘tic’ - an involuntary sound made by the person, with the ‘motor tic’ being an involuntary movement. Jess has spent most of her life living with both, the condition developing in her teens to how it currently manifests itself. So as you will hear, Jess has her own unique tics - her main one is the word “biscuit”, but you’ll also hear “hedgehog”, “sausage” and a good few more. The sound accompanying them is her tapping her chest, just so you know what’s happening. What makes this a truly unique conversation is listening to Jess talk with Pip, who has a stutter. Not only that, we get to hear so much about Jess and her life, what moves her, how she got involved in the arts, and the world outside of her own condition. It’s a valuable insight into disability too, as she offers some wisdom regarding how she moves within society, seeing the world through different perspectives, and whether or not she would take a ‘magic pill’ to eliminate the condition. If that’s not enough, hear her enlightening talking points about relaxed theatre and what that is exactly, how she got involved and her own theatre performance in ‘Not I’ by Samuel Beckett (and how she got that off the ground in the first place), including a British Sign Language translation - tics and all! It’s also interesting to hear her say her thoughts are “tic-free” too - it can be easy to forget that part. Oh, and find out what a “buildup of biscuits” is too. You might be surprised. Enjoy this episode with Jess Thom!
––––– ––––– –––––
THIS EPISODE'S LINKS:
• JESS THOM on TWITTER! • https://twitter.com/touretteshero
• TOURETTES HERO on THE INTERNET! • https://www.touretteshero.com/
• NOT I by SAMUEL BECKETT • https://www.touretteshero.com/2018/02/28/not-i-at-bac/
• JESS on THE RUSSELL HOWARD SHOW! • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8gOcbneQRQ
• SCROOBIUS PIP on TWITTER! • https://twitter.com/Scroobiuspipyo
• SCROOBIUS PIP on INSTAGRAM! • https://www.instagram.com/scroobiuspipyo
• SPEECH DEVELOPMENT RECORDS • https://scroobiuspip.backstreetmerch.com
• DISTRACTION PIECES NETWORK on FACEBOOK • https://www.facebook.com/distractionpiecespodcast
• DISTRACTION PIECES NETWORK on INSTAGRAM • https://www.instagram.com/distractionpiecesnetwork
• NEW LISTENERS TAKE NOTE!!! You can find the full DISTRACTION PIECES episode list HERE! • https://www.acast.com/distractionpieces
• FOLLOW AND ENJOY!!!
See acast.com/privacy for privacy and opt-out information.