Ian Murdock, Senor Manager of Marketing Analytics at cloud communications platform company, Twilio, describes in detail what a Marketing Analyst in Tech does. Good listen for anyone interested in Data and Tech.
Ian has a B.S. in Electrical Engineering from University of Houston, and MBA from Wharton, University of Pennsylvania.
Some of the areas that Ian touches upon include:
1. Why Ian got interested in Analytics
2. What is Marketing Analytics
3. Examples of projects someone in this function might work on
4. Stages in a typical project
5. How analytics should drive decision making
6. Typical day in the life
7. How is success measured - timeliness, quality of analysis and ability to communicate
8. Interesting and challenging aspects of the job
9. Examples of tools he uses - R, SQL, Python, Visualization tools
10. Not so interesting aspects of this job - how if your insights are unexpected, there can be a lot of resistance, and you really need to figure out how to persuade people
11. Difference between Analytics and Data Science
12. Career progression
13. Skills/Qualities in someone who is good at this job - comfort with numbers, ability to learn new tools and languages needed for the job, communication and curiosity
14. Typical background
15. Helpful resources for interested candidates
16. 3 questions you can ask yourself to assess if you will like the job
17. Tips for applying for similar jobs
Thank you for listening!!
Follow the show on Twitter @LED_Curator
Like us on FaceBook at www.facebook.com/learneducatediscover/
Email us at hello@learneducatediscover. We will reply!!
Subscribe to the show on iTunes itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/learn…ver/id1049159321