Uzo Osikhena, former Senior Program Manager with Clinton Health Access Initiative and currently with Aspen Management Partnership for Health (AMP Health), describes what working in the field of International Development (Global Health is like).
Uzo has an MBA from The Wharton School, with a focus on Finance and Management.
Some of the things that Uzo touches upon in this episode include:
1. How Uzo's work in the international development practice at Accenture exposed her to the field and ultimately convinced her to work in Global Health full time
2. How there are several disciplines within International Development - Global Health, Finance, Agriculture, Public Policy & Governance, Environment, etc.
3. Examples of the kind of projects that someone would work in International Development
4. How to think about the kind of roles you can pursue in International Development
5. Uzo describes a project she worked on as part of the Clinton Health Access Initiative - Increasing access to family planning for women in Nigeria
6. How her project involved changing people's attitude towards family planning, and why that was challenging
7. Potential frustrations of working in International Development - financial tradeoffs vs other jobs such as banking, career trajectory can potentially plateau, it's not always the most efficient sector
8. How to identify what problems to work on: Go to the website of a large donor such as Gates foundation, and start researching the areas you see there to see what aligns with your interests.
9. Skills needed to do well on the job - Writing skills, ability to partner and build a sense of community, influence, communication and lots of compassion
10. Resources: devex.com , developmentaid.org - https://www.developmentaid.org/#!/home , websites of orgs such as WHO, Unicef, Gates Foundation
Thank you for listening!!
Follow the show on Twitter @LED_Curator
Like us on FaceBook at www.facebook.com/learneducatediscover/
Email us at hello@learneducatediscover. We will reply!!
Subscribe to the show on iTunes itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/learn…ver/id1049159321