Trevor talks to Ana about how hiding her intense depression, social anxiety, and eating disorder led to fear and despair, ultimately resulting in a suicide attempt during her first semester at college.
Ana is joined by her parents Rafael and Patty, who candidly discuss the warning signs they missed, what they wish they had done differently, and how their family has used their own experience to help other families better understand adolescent mental health.
– Rafael, Ana’s dad, talks about how mental illness is viewed in Venezuela, his native country (13:30)
– Ana’s mother Patty explains how she missed the signs of her daughter’s illness (01:06:18)
– Ana describes the immense pressure she was under while in high school (01:15:30)
– Ana’s story: mclean.link/oik
– Running Against Stigma, Not Away From It: mclean.link/bju
– Ana Febres-Cordero of Concord ‘Made it out Alive,’ Wants to Inspire Others: mclean.link/a50
– ‘Outrunning the Demons’ Profiles Deconstructing Stigma Participant Ana Febres-Cordero: mclean.link/vnj
Read the episode transcript: mclean.link/p8s
- - -
The McLean Hospital podcast Mindful Things is intended to provide general information and to help listeners learn about mental health, educational opportunities and research initiatives. This podcast is not an attempt to practice medicine or to provide specific medical advice.
© 2019 McLean Hospital. All Rights Reserved.