Welcome to Episode 63 of the Indie Business Podcast! Today's Maker Story introduces you to Kayla Fioravanti of Ology Essentials and Work+Shop Create outside Nashville, Tennessee. For many of you, this may be a re-introduction, since Kayla has been a guest on Indie Business Podcast a few years back when her business was going in a different direction. If you missed it, you can listen to that episode here. Today, Kayla is in the midst of a massive shift, and this episode will be useful to you if your business (and your life!) is encountering shifts of its own. I highly recommend that you listen to my previous interview with Kayla so you can get a really good foundation for how she got where she is today.
Kayla is a serial entrepreneur, having sold one business several years ago, and then taking a little break while her children were in their early teen years, and today, launching two new brands at the same time. Kayla has a wealth of insight and experience, and she drops some really great golden nuggets in this episode. Enjoy my interview with Kayla NOW!
Click the Arrow to Enjoy the Indie Business Podcast
Episode Show Notes
Here are the topics discussed in this episode, with time stamps to help you find the information that most interests you:
* Basic introduction to the brands Kayla is currently managing. (starting at 2:57)
* What does it feel like to raise a baby (your business), and then when someone else buys it, let it go completely, and what did Kayla do next? (starting at 7:00)
* Just because you had one successful business, does not mean you know how to build a brand new one in a different field. (starting at 12:00)
* How attending Maker Mastermind Live and going through the Indie Method helped Kayla begin to build her new brands. (starting at 14:00)
* A typical day in Kayla's life, and the things she does that are foundational and super important (hint: blogging, engaging via social media) . (starting at 16:00)
* Kayla's take on the importance of having a geographical physical component to your business, and how they all fit together and provide entrepreneurial leverage — each for the other. (starting at 20:00)
* Some things to consider when you enter into business partnerships. (starting at 28:00)
* Top mistakes new entrepreneurs make when they are getting started in business. (starting at 33:14)
* Tips for failing well. (starting at 38:26)
* Kayla shares what she sees on the horizon for Makers, Handmade, and Artisan Entrepreneurs. (starting at 42:40)
* Kayla's thoughts on the tension between “showing up personally” for your customers, and enjoying the freedom and flexibility that entrepreneurship produces in your life. (starting at 46:45)
Kayla Fioravanti, Ology Essentials and Work+Shop Create
Episode 62: Resources and Links Mentioned in this Episode
In this episode, Kayla and I mentioned the following resources.
* Kayla's personal brand website: Kayla Fioravanti
* Kayla's aromatherapy website: Ology Essentials
* Kayla's retail store in Franklin, Tennessee: Work+Shop Create, visit at 1020 Westhaven Blvd., Franklin, Tennessee.
* Entrepreneurial training curriculum: Indie Method