Our guest this episode is LA mastering engineer John Greenham who just won a Grammy for his work on Billie Eilish’s album. We talk to him about how he came to work with Billie, and dig into his work on the album in depth, discussing topics including:
* John’s mastering chain and philosophy
* Whether “Xanny” is the loudest song ever
* How to get RMS levels above zero (!)
* Loudness, confidence and client relations
* Are loud mixes a problem for mastering engineers ?
* What it’s like to win a Grammy