My guests today is Kyle Turman who is the the Director of Product Design at Retool and previously led design teams at Slack, Dropbox, and Etsy.
Interview Video: https://youtu.be/CPnSHrk9e6U
In this episode, we discuss the following:
- Why I'm interviewing Kyle Turman
- Why is it hard for IC designers to switch into a design manager role?
- What changes when you become a design manager from an IC designer?
- Imposter Syndrome being a first time Design Manager
- How do you measure output as a design manager?
- How does a Design Manager track their progress?
- Importance of focusing on business impact as a Design Manager
- Why should a Design Manager pay attention to the existing company culture?
- Why you should not micro manage your direct reports as a Design Manager?
- Should you give feedback to your Design Manager if they are micromanaging you?
- What are the long term impacts of not delegating work?
- Why do you have to motivate your direct reports as a Design Manager?
- How do you motivate designers at a company?
- How to figure out what motivates designers on your team?
- Why you should encourage your direct reports to double down on their strenghts as a Design Manager?
- How do you grow as a Design Manager?
- Asking for help from stakeholders as a Design Manager
- How to be productive as a Design Manager?
For show notes, guest bio, and more, please visit: