In this episode, we kick it with Owen Williams, ( https://owenwillia.ms/ ) most recognized for his previous work as an editor at The Next Web and maker of the well-regarded technology newsletter re:Charged ( https://char.gd/ ). From his broad experience as a journalist and software engineer, we’re going to discuss his latest product launch, Write Together. ( https://writetogether.space/ )
We cover a broad range of topics including:
* the evolution of content creation
* why it's important to write every day
* PHP frameworks
* his super nifty Slack hack
* and much more
Lean more about Makers Weekly and what we're working on here ( https://makersweekly.io/ ).
Vanmoof ( https://www.vanmoof.com/ ) (2:45) - awesome futuristic smart bikes
Product Hunt ( https://www.producthunt.com/ ) (3:19) - a daily list of new products around the web
Ryan Hoover ( https://twitter.com/rrhoover ) (11:47) - founder of Product Hunt
Medium ( https://medium.com/ ) (6:25) - a modern, social blogging platform
Github streaks ( https://www.google.com/search?q=github+streaks&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjV64bEtpHhAhVIpZ4KHRHcB6UQ_AUIDigB&biw=1355&bih=925#imgrc=k2f99G4SefB4cM: ) (8:10) - a visual indicator of the frequency a developer commits code to a project
Lean Startup ( http://productdevelopment/ ) (12:30) - a product development methodology (and book) that focuses on rapid prototyping and constant product iteration with the goal to capture learnings cheap, fast, and often.
Laravel ( https://laravel.com/ ) and their billing framework, Cashier ( https://laravel.com/docs/5.8/billing ) (14:50)
Getstream ( https://getstream.io/ ) (15:39) - out of the box social networking features, like news feeds and timelines.
Stripe ( https://stripe.com/ ) (16:10) - credit card processor for internet products
Segment ( https://segment.com/ ) (16:11) - data analytics platform
Chart Mogul ( https://chartmogul.com/ ) (16:17) - out of the box operations portal for SaaS businesses
Bear Metrics ( https://baremetrics.com/ ) (16:27) - similar to Chart Mogul but a bit more robust and more expensive
Google's Startup Program ( https://cloud.google.com/developers/startups/ ) (16:43) - free cloud hosting!!
Sentry ( https://sentry.io/welcome/ ) (17:15) - Error tracking, Owen integrates with Slack for alerts
Slack ( https://slack.com/ ) (17:16) - Owen routes all of his alerts into a Slack via their API, check out all slack integrations ( https://slack.com/apps )
MailChimp ( https://mailchimp.com/ ) (23:00) - email distribution and marketing platform
Google Reader ( https://www.google.com/reader/about/ ) (23:16) - RIP
* *How do you become a better writer? Well, you need to write.* This is the premise of the Write Together product. Here's a great article ( https://medium.com/the-mission/how-writing-1000-words-a-day-changed-my-life-cf72453b8fef ) (and interesting story) about how consistent writing can provide meaningful benefits over time; it has over 20k claps on Medium. I specifically enjoyed the sections called "Be Prolific" and "Learn to Recognize Patterns."
* *Network effects (23:16)* - in the product development world, this is a term that refers to features that incrementally get better (or provide greater value) the more they're used. If you're working on a product, this is a must-know concept. Here's the perfect resource to learn all about network ( https://a16z.com/2016/03/07/all-about-network-effects/ ) effects (check out the slide deck at the bottom).
*It's with tons of love that I ask you... if you find this interesting at all and want to support this project, please pass this along to a few friends. Thank you and enjoy!*