Jeffrey Shaw is the go-to portrait photographer for exclusive clientele. His portraits have been featured on The Oprah Winfrey Show, in O Magazine and People, and on CBS News. He is a business coach who serves massively talented creatives who struggle with the business side. He lives on an island just off Manhattan, New York, and gets to work by cable car.
Determining Your Lane
* What is the most important thing you can share about pricing?
* Pick a lane.
* Be aligned through your whole process – pricing, brand image, brand value.
* Strategically building a business is based on determining who you are serving first, and then focusing on serving them.
* Most people go in business backwards.
* Misalignment with regard to pricing is common.
* By looking at a brick and mortar business, you can determine whether or not you want to go inside just by looking at it.
* Why are you a photographer?
* Jeffrey went into business as a photographer when he was 20.
* He was not conscious of the business he was building then but seemed to have good business instincts.
* He does not look at what others are doing in his industry because he wants to zag when everyone else is zigging.
* He is out to take photos of “third children” since he does not have any pictures of himself growing up as a third child.
* Once he became conscious of his passion, it was easy to align.
* His 20-year old daughter had to put down her 8-year old horse.
* The man who put down the horse explained that he got into the business because his experience having a horse put down was handled poorly.
* His why made it an honor for Jeffrey's family to pay him.
* There is a true value in explaining your why.
* Why do you offer a performance guarantee?
* If you offer a money back guarantee, you are supporting someone's failure. Jeffrey wants to support someone's success.
* His “I will not let you fail” guarantee promises that if you are not happy, he will work even harder to make it satisfactory.
* The responsibility of success comes back to the entrepreneur.
* If you can look inward at your accountability and determine how you could do it differently, you gain the most control over your business and life.
* Jeffrey will fight harder to make the transformation that his customer is looking for; he will show up deeper.
* He has never returned a dollar in any of his businesses because he always approaches it with a commitment to success.
[clickToTweet tweet=”Building a business is determining who you are serving, and focusing on serving them.” quote=”Building a business is determining who you are serving, and focusing on serving them.”]
Pricing for Your Lane
* How do you price your services to create margin?
* The best thing you can do for your customers is to charge the maximum amount of money and get paid upfront.
* When you know you have margin, you can go the extra mile and the value created for the customer is tremendous.
* If you are paid before the service, you have an energetic level of freedom that empowers a healthier working relationship.
* When you get the money conversation out of the way, it frees you up to do your best work for the customer.
* The experience is different when you are pushed into making a sale.
* What is the typical way to price photography?
* The healthiest way of doing business is when there is a broad price ra...