“Professional on the Go” is a podcast that will give you the inspiration, tips and tools on how to win and live your best life as an independent professional. Your hosts are Barry Moltz, Small Business expert and Chinwe Onyeagoro, who is the CEO of PocketSuite which an office in your pocket for independent service professionals.
Episode #29: Dr. Ian Dunbar Shares His Story on Becoming a Top Dog Trainer
Dr. Ian Dunbar, the man who wrote the book on pet training and developed the first ever puppy-training courses in the country. Go to any local dog park in your city and most of the dogs there have been influenced by his work!
He has written six books with hundreds of thousands of copies in circulation. He has a Udemy course that has trained more than 40K pet parents and trainers. He was the founder of the Association of Pet Dog Trainers, which is now known as the Association of Professional Dog Trainers. Over the past 35 years, Dr. Dunbar has given over 1000 seminars and workshops around the world for dog trainers and veterinarians.
You will learn:
- How Ian found his way to dog training after going to veterinary school
- What Ian’s research taught him about how to train dogs
- The best ways Ian found to distribute his knowledge about puppy training
- Why Ian believes it’s so important to reach prospective puppy owners
- Ian’s advice for planning for retirement as a service professional
- Ian’s idea of the good life and how he lives it every day
Ian’s story is certainly an inspiration for anyone who has a dream of working for themselves and making a good living.
Episode #28: Nicole Stuart Shares Her Story on Becoming a Celebrity Fitness Trainer
On this episode of Professional-on-the-Go, we are talking to Nicole Stuart (https://nicolestuart.com/) who is a celebrity fitness trainer who has trained the likes of Kate Hudson, Portia de Rossi, Goldie Hawn, Anna Faris and Julia Ormond. Nicole practices a creative style of Pilates that blends dance, yoga, stretching and cross-training to help her clients benefit their bodies as well as their minds and spirits. Nicole has appeared on MSNBC and in numerous magazines, including People, W Magazine, US Weekly, InStyle, and Cosmopolitan. Her iPhone app is available on iTunes and is being sold worldwide.
You will hear about:
- What Nicole learned from her dance teacher at an early age that shaped her life
- How Nicole kept moving in spite of feeling lost in her life and career
- Nicole’s path from waitressing to fitness training
- How Nicole decided she was going to make a career out of training others in Pilates
- How Nicole got connected to Kate Hudson and began training her
- Is there a fundamental difference between making fitness training house calls for celebrities versus everyday stay at home moms?
- Nicole’s vision for creating her fitness app as a way to expand her service offerings
- How Nicole spends her time outside of fitness training and Pilates that gives her options for an exit strategy and fuels her creative spirit
There are over 300,000 certified fitness trainers in the U.S. and millions more who moonlight. Nicole’s story is an inspiration for anyone who has a dream of working for themselves and making a good living.
Episode #27: Kyra Sundance Shares Her Story on Becoming a Top Celebrity Dog Trick Trainer
On this episode of Professional-on-the-Go, we are talking to Kyra Sundance who is a dog trainer, performer, and author. Kyra quite literally wrote the book on “how to teach dogs to do tricks” called 101 Dog Tricks, which has over 1 million copies in print and has been translated into 22 languages. Her company, Do More With Your Dog (http://www.domorewithyourdog.com/), is the official sanctioning and organizing body for the sport of Dog Tricks and has certified over 20,000 successfully trained dogs. She is nationally ranked in competitive dog sports, trains dog actors, and has been featured on programs ranging from Ellen and The Tonight Show to the NBA halftime show.
Kyra Sundance’s story is an inspiration for anyone who has a dream of working for themselves and making a good living. You will learn:
- What inspired Kyra’s super unique career path of becoming a dog trainer
- How Kyra learned how to train dogs to do tricks (and how you can, too)
- Why passion is a great tool for growing and marketing your business
- How Kyra transitioned from her full-time job to running her dog training business, and how that business evolved over time into the one it is today
- The power of focusing on the important versus the urgent in growing your business
- How to maintain passion and joy throughout different stages of business
- Why you need to think about an “exit strategy” as an entrepreneur and independent service professional
Episode #26: Harry Josh Shares His Story on Becoming a Top Celebrity Hair Stylist
On this episode of Professional-on-the-Go, we are talking to Harry Josh who is a legend in the hairstyling, beauty, and fashion industry not only because of his tremendous skill in dressing the hair of celebrities like Jennifer Garner, Gwyneth Paltrow, Tina Fey, Ellen Pompeo, Gisele Bundchen, but also because of his super successful product line, called Harry Josh Pro Tools, including the most instagrammed hairdryer in the world, the Harry Josh Pro Dryer.
This episode is an inspiration for anyone who has a dream of working for themselves and making a good living. You will hear about:
- Harry’s journey from working at a hair salon in Vancouver to achieving his dream of being a model and celebrity hair stylist in New York City and beyond. His hunger, hustle, passion and inspiration comes through so powerfully every step of the way.
- The pivotal decisions and unobvious connections Harry made along the way that ultimately lead him to his dream.
- Harry’s lessons learned on the way to achieving his dream, including the importance of always working toward the bigger picture, even if it looks like a lateral or backwards move sometimes.
- Why Harry decided to start building his business and iconic brand of hair tools, Harry Josh Pro Tools, and how he built his brand and business model with an emphasis on quality and sustainability.
- Harry’s idea of the good life and how he lives it every day.
Episode #25: The Business of Yoga from Expert Teacher Trainer
Yoga is a big part of the health and wellness industry. 36 million Americans practice yoga and spend $16 billion on yoga classes, clothing, equipment, and accessories each year. The number of Americans doing yoga grew by 50% between 2012 and 2016 alone! On this episode of Professional-on-the-Go, we explore:
- What makes yoga so popular and why the recent boom in popularity?
- How much do Yoga Instructors make?
- What is the secret to making more as a Yoga instructor?
- What changes do people have to make when they want to take yoga instruction from a hobby to a career?
- What are the licensing and certification requirements for yoga instructors?
- How yoga professionals can ensure they have the training needed to protect their clients from injury
- Who is Yoga Alliance and what is their role within the yoga industry?
- What is the best advice for someone who is looking to grow their yoga practice and income?
Here to help us learn more about the yoga industry is Kerry Maiorca, the founder of Bloom Yoga Studio in Chicago. A yoga teacher for more than 20 years, Kerry is passionate about making yoga unintimidating and accessible for each unique student, and she also provides an online mentorship program for yoga teachers. Her writing has been featured on The Huffington Post, Elephant Journal, and Mindbodygreen, among others, and she explores the intersection of yoga and daily life on her Thinking Yogi blog.
For free continuing ed offerings for yoga teachers and great discounts, check out https://www.yogaalliance.org/ where there are lots of helpful resources for making yoga instruction into a viable business.
Episode #24: From Gangster to Fitness Trainer
Our featured guest on this episode of Professional-on-the-Go is Rocco Castellano.
Rocco started out his adult life serving time in jail. He tells us the amazing story of how he, determined to make a better life for himself, went from one "family business" to another. Out of jail, Rocco bought his cousins' gym, leading him down the path to a very successful Personal Training career (with some surprises along the way, as you'll hear).
Ultimately, Rocco retired from his successful Personal Training Career to start a media company that helped fitness professionals get media attention. Join us on this journey through Rocco's life as he shares the lessons he's learned as a gangster turned independent service professional.
Thank you for empowering + inspiring the soloprenuer!
It’s great to hear from real people that figured out their unique path as a solopreneur. From the practical to the inspirational, this show is for those of us that want to take control of our careers and income and not leave it in the hands of others.
Who built this for small business!
Nuff said. Very high quality speakers, they cover a wide range of interesting topics relevant to me as a small business owner and mostly things you won’t find in the news. A few audio issues otherwise very promising and I’m sure that will get better with time.