On Scaling Ambition you’ll hear from the founders looking to fulfil their potential by starting a globally ambitious company. In the process you'll discover the principles needed to succeed as an entrepreneur - not from abstract advice or sweeping statements but from real stories of people who made the leap and overcame the challenges on their path to start and scale a game-changing business.
Special Episode: Lavina Tien on Launching EF Hong Kong and the HK Startup Ecosystem
EF Co founder and CEO Matt Clifford interviews EF Hong Kong General Manager Lavina Tien exploring her background and the Hong Kong startup ecosystem. In this episode they discuss:
- Lavina’s background and why she was excited by EF’s mission
- The Hong Kong startup ecosystem and the opportunities in the area
- Ef’s partnership with HAX, the world’s leading early stage hardware investor
This was a great conversation with some great insight into Lavina’s story and the Hong Kong ecosystem.
#22 Joe White on Pioneering SAAS in the UK and Picking the Right VC
Joe White is an entrepreneur and the CFO and General Partner at Entrepreneur First.In this episode Joe and I discuss:
- The early days of Moonfruit and the UK startup scene
- How Joe helped steer the company through the dot com bubble
- What startups should look for in a VC
We also get into Joe’s advice for dealing with the ups and downs of the startup journey based on his own experience as a founder and with the companies he’s advised and invested in.
#21 Sai Ranganathan of SensorFlow on Making Buildings Energy Efficient through IoT
Sai Ranganathan is the Co-Founder of SensorFlow, a company making buildings energy efficient at zero upfront cost. In this episode we discuss:
- Why he left Goldman Sachs to start a company with EF
- How Sai has learned to filter advice from third parties
- The key hiring lesson Sai learned the hard way that has made a huge difference to growing his team
This was a great conversation packed full of useful insights whether you’re interested in IoT or looking for advice to grow your business.
#20 Entrepreneur First VP Chris Mairs on The Art of Angel Investing and Pre-Internet Entrepreneurship
Chris Mairs is an entrepreneur, Angel Investor and Venture Partner at EF. In this episode we discuss:
- The lessons he learned from building MetaSwitch, including a visit from Microsoft Founder Bill Gates
- The red flags that turn him off a co-founding team as an angel investor
- How EF’s Companies have evolved since he got involved on the first cohort
We also get into the tech trends Chris is most excited about, his perspective on AI and blockchain and how he’s overcome the challenges he’s faced.
Special Episode: Esha Tiwary on Launching EF Bangalore and the Indian Startup Ecosystem
Today’s conversation is a special one to celebrate the opening of EF Bangalore and in it, EF CEO Matt Clifford interviews EF Bangalore General Manager Esha Tiwary, exploring:
- Esha’s background and why she was so excited by EF’s mission
- The Indian startup ecosystem and the opportunities in Bangalore
- The comparative advantages of the different startup ecosystems that EF is involved in and the global community it’s building
#18 Tom Pocock of CreditMint on Decentralising Corporate Lending and the Death of Utility Tokens
Tom Pocock is the Co-Founder of Credit Mint, a company that’s decentralising corporate lending by using a public blockchain as the shared ledger for corporate debt. In this episode we discuss:
- Why Tom left the finance industry to start a crypto business
- The current state of the crypto space and future predictions
- Tom’s lessons on raising money after fundraising
So if you’re curious about what it takes to start a blockchain business or the future of finance this episode has you covered.