1 hr 10 min

Scott Deluzio | Seeing Red: A Gold Star Brother & Brothers in Arms Grieving Voices

    • Self-Improvement

Less than 1% of Americans serve in the U.S. military. That leaves 99% of Americans who will never understand the cost of serving their country, particularly during wartime.

Scott shares his path to emotional freedom from the scars of war after deploying to Afghanistan with his brother, Steven. Rather than Scott celebrating homecoming with his brother, he accompanied Steven, killed in action, in a casket draped with the American flag.

Although Scott was scheduled to return to Afghanistan two short weeks after his brother's funeral, the mayor of Connecticut declared that he would not return to duty with his National Guard unit in Afghanistan because the family should have to endure the potential of another loss.

 But there is so much more to Scott's story. Because coming home after being in a war, doesn't necessarily feel like you're home. Scott put his grief to the side and picked up anger, and over the years, his grief ate away the core of his very being. He became someone he didn't recognize. His drinking got out of control, along with his anger, and he realized he could no longer go it alone and sought support.

Like many grievers and veterans, Scott thought he was doing okay after a couple of years of therapy and stopped going. However, a life-threatening event with his spouse would occur, and he would later find his old patterns resurfacing. He sought support again and learned that growth and healing are ongoing processes.

Whether you've served in the military, know or love someone who is serving or has served, or not, please listen to Scott's story. It may help bring a deeper understanding of the scars and costs of war - and America's 1%.

RESOURCES:
Podcast | Drive On PodcastBook | Surviving Son: An Afghanistan War Veteran Reveals His Nightmare Of Becoming A Gold Star BrotherVeteran ResourcesCONNECT:
 InstagramFacebookTwitterThe real divide in the U.S. is that only one percent of us fight in war, and the rest don't understand the true cost of conflict. - an op-ed piece by "60 Minutes" producer Henry Schuster, Operation Proper Exit
______

NEED HELP?
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255Crisis Text Line provides free, 24/7 support via text message. Text HOME to 741741 to connect with a trained Crisis CounselorIf you or anyone you know is struggling with grief due to any of the 40+ losses, free resources are available HERE.
Are you enjoying the podcast? You may also enjoy my bi-weekly newsletter, The Unleashed Letters.
CONNECT WITH
Support the showThis episode is sponsored by Do Grief Differently™️, my twelve-week, one-on-one, in-person/online program for grievers who have suffered any type of loss to feel better. Click here to learn new tools, grief education, and the only evidence-based method for moving beyond the pain of grief.

Less than 1% of Americans serve in the U.S. military. That leaves 99% of Americans who will never understand the cost of serving their country, particularly during wartime.

Scott shares his path to emotional freedom from the scars of war after deploying to Afghanistan with his brother, Steven. Rather than Scott celebrating homecoming with his brother, he accompanied Steven, killed in action, in a casket draped with the American flag.

Although Scott was scheduled to return to Afghanistan two short weeks after his brother's funeral, the mayor of Connecticut declared that he would not return to duty with his National Guard unit in Afghanistan because the family should have to endure the potential of another loss.

 But there is so much more to Scott's story. Because coming home after being in a war, doesn't necessarily feel like you're home. Scott put his grief to the side and picked up anger, and over the years, his grief ate away the core of his very being. He became someone he didn't recognize. His drinking got out of control, along with his anger, and he realized he could no longer go it alone and sought support.

Like many grievers and veterans, Scott thought he was doing okay after a couple of years of therapy and stopped going. However, a life-threatening event with his spouse would occur, and he would later find his old patterns resurfacing. He sought support again and learned that growth and healing are ongoing processes.

Whether you've served in the military, know or love someone who is serving or has served, or not, please listen to Scott's story. It may help bring a deeper understanding of the scars and costs of war - and America's 1%.

RESOURCES:
Podcast | Drive On PodcastBook | Surviving Son: An Afghanistan War Veteran Reveals His Nightmare Of Becoming A Gold Star BrotherVeteran ResourcesCONNECT:
 InstagramFacebookTwitterThe real divide in the U.S. is that only one percent of us fight in war, and the rest don't understand the true cost of conflict. - an op-ed piece by "60 Minutes" producer Henry Schuster, Operation Proper Exit
______

NEED HELP?
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255Crisis Text Line provides free, 24/7 support via text message. Text HOME to 741741 to connect with a trained Crisis CounselorIf you or anyone you know is struggling with grief due to any of the 40+ losses, free resources are available HERE.
Are you enjoying the podcast? You may also enjoy my bi-weekly newsletter, The Unleashed Letters.
CONNECT WITH
Support the showThis episode is sponsored by Do Grief Differently™️, my twelve-week, one-on-one, in-person/online program for grievers who have suffered any type of loss to feel better. Click here to learn new tools, grief education, and the only evidence-based method for moving beyond the pain of grief.

1 hr 10 min