DKROM is a Chicago based Sportswriter & sportscaster with a near encyclopedic knowledge of all things NFL. We here at Sports Krunch with DKrom enforce our “No Spin” policy 24/7/365, and do our absolute best to help all of you football fans cut through the spin and get to the truth. Sports Krunch will cover all the important stories you may have missed in the NFL universe. Sports Krunch will regularly have very influential and knowledgeable guests. So be on the lookout for the next episode and be sure to subscribe!
#337: Dash To The Draft 2022 (AFC East Draft Recap with Jeff Barnes)
-Can you see Sauce Gardner making a similar impact for the Jets his rookie year as Patrick Surtain did for the Broncos?
-What does Garrett Wilson bring to the Jets receiving corps that Elijah Moore and Corey Davis do not?
-With Jermaine Johnson now in the fold, would you be surprised if the Jets DL is regarded as the best such unit in the NFL either later this season or some time in 2023?
-How do you see Breece Hall and Michael Carter splitting the workload at RB this season?
-Thanks to the Tyreek Hill trade, the Dolphins cupboard of picks was pretty bare, as they did not pick until 102 overall. That said, I personally think they landed EXCELLENT value by selecting Georgia LB Channing Tindall with that pick. What were your thoughts on this pick and do you think Tindall will eventually outplay that draft slot?
-What was your pre-draft evaluation on Cole Strange and do you think he’ll be worth this pick long-term?
-Do you think Tyquan Thornton is an ideal target for Mac Jones in the passing game?
-Can you see the Patriots having a package of plays for Marcus Jones on offense this year?
-Does Kaiir Elam immediately upgrade that position and if so, why?
-How does James Cook make the high-powered Bills offense even more dangerous?
-Do you think Khalil Shakir should be able to stick around and eventually become a trusted target for Josh Allen in certain situations long-term?
5. Name a player (either drafted or UDFA) from each team we have not yet discussed that you think will have a successful NFL career
-Jets: Jeremy Ruckert
-Dolphins: Cameron Goode
-Patriots: Jack Jones
-Bills: Luke Tenuta
#336: Dash To The Draft 2022 (AFC West Draft Recap with Mark Schofield)
-Will Trent McDuffie change the paradigm for how the NFL views the cornerback position
-Do you think George Karlaftis will become a similar, dependable long-term player for the Chiefs as Brandon Graham has been for the Eagles?
-What does Skyy Moore bring to the Chiefs WR corps that Marquez Valdes-Scantling and JuJu Smith-Schuster do not? Can you see Moore becoming the #2 target for Patrick Mahomes at some point this season?
-Who will make a bigger impact for the Chiefs defense this season: Bryan Cook or Leo Chenal?
-A lot of Broncos fans and FANalysts were lukewarm about the Nik Bonitto selection. What reasons, if any, are there for those people to warm up to Bonitto?
-Is Greg Dulcich the ideal tight end for Russell Wilson?
-Who is more likely to become a long-term contributor for the Broncos: Damarri Mathis or Eyioma Uwazurike?
-With Zion Johnson now in the fold, how do you see the Chargers starting five on the offensive line looking like come Week 1?
-Do you share the view that J.T. Woods can be a similar third-round bargain for the Chargers as Justin Simmons turned out to be for the Broncos?
-Do you see Isaiah Spiller making an immediate impact this season and if so, how do you see him and Austin Ekeler splitting the workload at RB?
-Do you see Dylan Parham starting in Week 1? Is his best long term spot at center or guard?
-Would you be surprised if Zamir White emerges at the starter at RB for the Raiders at some point this season?
5. Players we didn't mention (either drafted or UDFA) on each AFC West team that Mark sees having long-term NFL careers
-Chiefs: Justyn Ross
-Broncos: Matt Henningsen
-Chargers: Zander Horvath
-Raiders: Thayer Munford, Jr. and Matthew Butler
#335: BEYOND THE CHAPS with the 2022 Denver Broncos Cheerleaders (Part I: McKenna)
1. Describe the DBC audition process in-depth and explain what makes it so unique
2. In a recent interview with Alexis Rae Perry on Broncos Country Connected, your amazing director Shawna Peters said she has shown some of the questions on that football test to players and they came away a bit surprised at how advanced some of them were. What was your score on the football test this year and can you recall some examples of such questions Shawna was alluding to?
3. If you had to pick your most memorable moment as a DBC so far, what would it be and why?
4. As we mentioned at the top of the program, your full-time job is an Early Intervention Senior Service Coordinator. Describe the basic roles and responsibilities of that job for us
5. You and I have a mutual friend who has been on this podcast multiple times before…and was a teammate of yours in 2016, your DBC rookie season. Of course, I’m talking about Romi Bean, who is now a world-class sports reporter and anchor for CBS Denver. Did you learn anything specifically from Romi during your time on the team together that has stuck with you ever since?
6. When Romi came on this program last summer, she described what the 2015 Super Bowl-winning season was like. She told me that from start to finish, you could feel a vibe from top to bottom in the organization that suggested something special was going on and that we can win the whole thing. She also said that the cheerleaders had the same kind of special chemistry as the players did that year and implied that literally EVERYONE in the organization cranked their game up to 11. Now fast forward to this season where the Broncos have Russell Wilson now in the fold. Can you sense a similar vibe throughout the organization that Romi did in 2015?
7. How many community service hours are you required to perform per year and what are some of your favorite causes to support in the Denver and Colorado community?
8. COUNTRY MUSIC SUPERLATIVES
-Best song to get you fired up before a game: “Throw It Back” by Keith Urban & Breland
-Best song to celebrate a Broncos TD to: Anything by Kane Brown
-Best song to celebrate a Broncos victory to: “Proud of the House We Built” by Brooks & Dunn
-Best Luke Combs song to perform a Quarter Break routine to (a song you haven’t performed to as of yet): Beer Never Broke My Heart
-Song that best describes the person you are: “When It Rains It Pours” by Luke Combs
9. How would you define the word cheerleader?
(Photo of McKenna by Rob Hawthorne)
#334: SPORTS KRUNCH SPECIAL (Prelude To BEYOND THE CHAPS)
This summer, we will be interviewing several of the 2022 Denver Broncos Cheerleaders. But before then, I wanted to share my personal story as to just how much the women on this team past and present have meant to me
#333: SPORTS KRUNCH SPECIAL (An Interview with Chicago Bears Pro Bowl OL Cody Whitehair)
1. As you know, we are just a few days away from the 2022 NFL Draft. Hundreds of young men will see their dreams come true as they will get drafted to play in America’s biggest professional sports league. But the pre-draft process, as I’m sure you’d agree having gone through it yourself, is the grind of grinds with all the training, the Combine, Pro Days, top-30 team visits, etc. Describe what a day in the life of a prospect looks like in the days leading up to the draft
2. A few weeks ago, you and your Bears teammates became your 2022 offseason program with a completely new regime in place. What are your early impressions of new Head Coach Matt Eberflus and new GM Ryan Poles?
3. Even though the Bears are currently undergoing a major roster overhaul that will take some time, there is still a lot of optimism amongst Bears fans because of the promising young QB you block for in Justin Fields. In addition, you have a new OC in Luke Getsy, someone that Aaron Rodgers and Davante Adams RAVED about and valued highly during their time together in Green Bay. How will Getsy’s offense get the most out of Justin Fields?
4. For the first three years of your pro career, you got to be in the same building with one of the most renowned coaches in modern NFL history, Vic Fangio. As of right now, his defense is the most popular scheme around the entire league. Why do you think that is the case and how does Fangio’s D make life extra difficult on an offense?
5. There is a hot center prospect in this year’s draft in Tyler Linderbaum from Iowa. He may be the most talented center to enter the league in quite some time. However, there is buzz that suggests that he may fall out of the first round at least in part because he’s strictly a center with little-to-no experience at guard. Why does the NFL put such a huge premium on interior offensive linemen that can play both center and guard like yourself?
6. As you can tell by the background in my room, I am a huge Denver Broncos fan. And I believe you may know a certain someone on the Broncos. Of course, I’m talking about your fellow K-State offensive linemen Dalton Risner. Do you know Dalton and if so, how often do you communicate these days? How will the Nathaniel Hackett offense (which likely has several similarities to Getsy’s) allow Dalton to play the best ball of his career this season?
7. How does the job of an OL change when blocking for an athletic QB known for extending plays like a Justin Fields or Russell Wilson?
8. What are some of your favorite causes off the field to champion and why?
9. COUNTRY MUSIC SUPERLATIVES
-Best pre-game warm-up song: “The Boys Of Fall” –Kenny Chesney
-Best TD song: “They Don’t Know” –Jason Aldean
-Best song to help cope with a loss: “Till You Can’t” –Cody Johnson
-Best victory song: “Proud Of This House We Built” –Brooks & Dunn
-Best song for a first dance at a wedding: “Who I Am With You” –Chris Young
#332: Dash To The Draft 2022 (Last Minute Draft Rumors + Mock Draft 5.0 with Carmen Vitali)
1. As you know this spring in the NFL can be summed up in one word: trades. We have seen star player after star player get traded for a bounty of draft picks…and we may not be done. As ESPN’s Jeff Darlington reported on Wednesday, 49ers star WR Deebo Samuel has asked for a trade. While the Niners apparently do not intend to honor that request at this time, you know as well as anybody that things in the NFL can change in a flash. Can you see Deebo getting traded either right before or during the draft?
2. Regardless of how the situation with Deebo Samuel unfolds, Peter King said in his Football Morning in America column a week or so ago that he sees a lot of trades going down during the draft. Saints GM Mickey Loomis told King that since the consensus on draft boards across the league is the smallest it has been in a long time, maybe ever, he expects a player the Saints have graded in their top-20 to be within striking distance for them at 49 overall. Another GM said he could see teams without a first-round pick this year trade next year’s first and second to move as far up the board as possible. Just how robust do you see the trade market being on Draft Day itself?
3. To summarize how much I LOVE football, both my favorite professional sports period are NFL teams. One is the Denver Broncos, and the other (I believe they’re your favorite NFL team) the Chicago Bears. What is the latest intel you’re hearing about the draft plans of both of those teams?
4. LISTENER QUESTION: The Packers have historically preferred to wait until the second round to draft a WR. Do you think Green Bay actually drafts a WR in the first round this year?
5. While this year’s QB class is very underwhelming, quarterbacks still figure to be a central theme for how the first round unfolds. We will very likely see three signal callers get their names called next Thursday night, if not more. The only mystery is when exactly they’ll come off the board. So here’s a hypothetical. Let’s say the Panthers at six stay put and draft one of the top three OT’s, when would you anticipate the first QB being selected? How many QB’s do you think go in the first round when all is set and done?
6. With just a week before the draft, we always tend to get hot buzz about certain players rising up boards and others falling down the boards. Which players do you believe will get drafted much earlier than anticipated, and which players do you believe will be drafted much later than anticipated?
7. MOCK DRAFT 5.0
-Jaguars: Aidan Hutchinson
-Lions: Kayvon Thibodeaux
-Texans: Travon Walker
-Jets: Sauce Gardner
-Giants: Evan Neal
-Panthers: Ikem Ekwonu
-Chargers [from Giants]: Charles Cross
-Falcons: Kyle Hamilton
-Seahawks: Malik Willis
-Jets: Drake London
-Commanders: Derek Stingley, Jr.
-Vikings: Garrett Wilson
-Texans: Trevor Penning
-Ravens: Jermaine Johnson
-Eagles: Devonte Wyatt
-Saints: Jameson Williams
-Giants (from Chargers): Zion Johnson
-Eagles: Chris Olave
-Saints: Kenny Pickett
-Steelers: Desmond Ridder
-Patriots: Trent McDuffie
-Packers: Jordan Davis
-Cardinals: Andrew Booth, Jr.
-Cowboys: George Karlaftis
-Bills: Jahan Dotson
-Titans: Bernhard Raimann
-Bucs: Tyler Linderbaum
-Packers: Christian Watson
-Chiefs: Treylon Burks
-Chiefs: Devin Lloyd
-Bengals: Kenyon Green
-Lions: Lewis Cine
More Fantasy Football podcasts
Great podcast with Dave Richard from CBS FFT. More episodes like this would be great
Informative, interesting and insightful.
After listening I cannot wait for football season to begin! This guy sure knows his stuff.
All the NFL knowledge you need is here
This podcast is great and keeps all NFL lovers and Fantasy players in the know. Great recap of the draft. Look forward to listening to more episodes.