A podcast featuring messages preached at Calvary Bible Church in Neenah, WI. We focus on expository preaching of God's Word with an emphasize on discipleship.
My Servant Will Rule
Scripture tells us in Romans 1 and Genesis 49 that Jesus Christ, the Son of David and the Son of God, would powerfully and perfectly fulfill all of God’s promises given to His servant Jacob.
How does God break the power of generational sin?
A. Judah’s Misery (Gen. 37:26,27)
- In Judah we see our own frightening potential for evil
- “Come, let us sell him to the Ishmaelites…” (Gen. 37:27)
B. Judah’s Moment (Genesis 43:8,9)
- In Judah we see the transforming power of God’s grace
- “I will be a pledge of his safety…bear the blame forever” (Gen. 43:9)
C. Judah’s Mark (Genesis 49:8-12)
- In Judah we see Jesus (c/f Revelation 5:5, “Behold, the Lion of Judah has conquered”)
- Jesus, the Lion of Judah’s tribe, will forever hold the Scepter
Hear No Evil
Every person must decide what they will do with the knowledge that God provides them through Scripture, and that decision will determine if/how they will survive coming trials.
How do kingdom people survive the trials of life?
1. The wise way of hearing (vv. 24-25)
2. The foolish way of hearing (vv. 26-27)
The Ruin of Self-Deception
Every person must choose to obediently follow Jesus and true teaching or disobediently follow their own path and false teaching, with eternal impact.
How do Kingdom People discern genuine faith?
1. The Test of Saving Faith (vs 21)
2. The Tragedy of Wasted Faith (vs 22,23)
The Kingdom on Display
Text: Matthew 7:12-20
Kingdom people can trust God’s saving work in their lives because he gives external appearances to reflect internal reality.
Question: How can I be sure I am in the kingdom?
1. Receive the kingdom key
2. Walk the kingdom way
3. Pass the kingdom test
The Journey of Prevailing Prayer
Because our God is a good Father who desires to answer our prayers, Kingdom people should pray persistently and expectantly.
What should Kingdom People understand about prayer?
Kingdom People Pray Persistently (7,8)
• “Ask…seek…knock…” (7)
• Ask = given; seek = find; knock = opened (8)
Kingdom People Pray Expectantly (9-11)
• Longing for God
• Longing for Good
Judging Others #2
To judge others without examining and correcting oneself first is hypocritical and foolish, but it is also biblical and wise to discerningly judge others who (by their words and actions), twist, pervert or misuse God’s Word.
How should Kingdom People judge others?
Kingdom People are Truth-Tellers (6)
a. Dog-like behavior, “give dogs what is holy”
b. Pig-like behavior, “throw your pearls before pigs”
c. Results: trample…and attack you
Kingdom People are Teachable (3-5)
a. Practicing discernment, “first take the log out…you will see clearly” (5)
b. Let’s apply this truth:
- Spiritual discernment in Relationships
- Spiritual discernment with Truth (the Gospel)