Tax Facts is a podcast from the law firm of Buchanan Ingersoll and Rooney about the world of tax law and new changes that affect businesses and investors alike.
What's New with Low-income Housing Tax Credits?
On the second episode of Buchanan Ingersoll and Rooney’s Tax Facts podcast, Becky Lando and Michelle Yarbrough-Korb discuss the latest in the utilization of low-income housing tax credits and how new changes have made these vehicles even more attractive for investors.
Becky Lando is a shareholder at Buchanan and a member of the firm’s real estate team. Michelle Yarbrough-Korb is also a shareholder at Buchanan with a practice focused on the affordable housing industry.
In the episode, Lando and Yarbrough-Korb discuss:
- What low-income housing tax credits are and how they work
- What changes the recent COVID-19 relief bills made to low-income housing tax credits and how changes affect those who want to invest in affordable housing construction
- How eviction moratoriums affect low-income housing tax credits and whether it’s good or bad news for landlords
- The Housing Choice Voucher Program, commonly referred to as Section 8, which also saw changes due to COVID-19 relief
- Expectations on future legislation or changes that would make affordable housing more or less of an attractive investment from a tax perspective
- The need to work with experienced counsel before jumping into the world of affordable housing investment
To learn more about Buchanan Ingersoll and Rooney’s expertise and experience in tax law and affordable housing, visit www.BIPC.com or BIPC.com/affordable-housing.
To learn more about Becky Lando, visit https://www.bipc.com/rebecca-lando.
To learn more about Michelle Yarbrough-Korb, visit https://www.bipc.com/michelle-korb.
The Future of Opportunity Zones
On this episode of Tax Facts, Lisa Starczewski and Lafe Metz of Buchanan Ingersoll & Rooney discuss the world of Opportunity Zones, important deadlines for the program, and what the future holds for this valuable tax-incentive-laden program.
Lisa Starczewski is a shareholder at Buchanan and chair of the firm's tax section as well as its Opportunity Zones Team. Lafe Metz is also a shareholder at Buchanan and chair of the firm’s real estate practice group.
In the episode, Starczewski and Metz cover:
- The history of Opportunity Zones and what the March 31, 2021 deadline actually means
- How investors can still take advantage of this program
- How the 2020 Census impacted the Opportunity Zones Program
- What changes the COVID-19 relief packages made to the Opportunity Zones Program
To learn more about Buchanan Ingersoll and Rooney’s expertise and experience in tax and real estate law, visit www.BIPC.com or BIPC.com/opportunity-zones.
To learn more about Liza Starczewski, visit https://www.bipc.com/lisa-starczewski
To learn more about Lafe Metz, visit https://www.bipc.com/b.-metz