The 18STRONG Podcast is a golf show that has its roots in fitness but has grown to include much more than just talking about exercise for golfers.
Whether you’re looking to win a club championship, trying to break 90, or just excited about an epic golf trip with your buddies, each episode contains powerful information you can immediately put into action, on and off the course, that will have a massive impact on your game.
Join Jeff Pelizzaro, Golf Digest Top 50 Golf Fitness Professional, Physical Therapist, and co-founder of 18STRONG, as he interviews and trades epic stories with the biggest names in golf (players, coaches, trainers, and other unique personalities) about what it means to be “18STRONG”.
321: Gary Nicol & Karl Morris [Revisited]: The Lost Art of Putting
This week we are revisiting one of my favorite episodes on The Lost Art of Putting, with two of the world’s leading experts when it comes to the flat stick and the mental game.
This episode was one of the ones that really changed my view on, not only what the short game should look like, but also who I am as a golfer and a putter.
Gary Nicol and Karl Morris are some of the best in the game, working with players from all over the world. They authored the book The Lost Art of Putting (as well as The Lost Art of Playing Golf) which is one of my go-to recommendations for every golfer.
And if you’re thinking this is going to be all about technique and what you’re doing with the putter, you are going to be in for a bit of a surprise because these guys tackle the old debate of technique vs. creating shots or creating your putt.
Karl Morris’ Background
* Karl has worked as a performance coach to some of the world’s best golfers with over 100 PGA Tour, European Tour, LPGA Tour and Ladies European Tour players including six major winners such as Louis Oosthuizen, Graeme McDowell, and Darren Clarke.* He is the co-author of the recently released book ‘The Lost Art of Putting’ as well as ‘Attention –the secret to YOU playing great golf’ and ‘Golf –The Mind Factor’ with Ryder Cup captain Darren Clarke.* He has personally trained over 1000 certified Mind Factor coaches worldwide.
Gary Nicol’s Background
* Born in Scotland, Gary Nicol turned professional in 1988.* Since then, he has traveled the world coaching golfers of all standards from weekend players to tour pros including Ryder Cup players, Olympians, and winners of major championships.* Gary is a certified TrackMan Master and Mind Factor coach and is based at the stunning Archerfield Links on Scotland’s Golf Coast.
Highlights From This Episode
* We kick off the episode diving into Karl and Gary’s book “The Lost Art of Putting,” and how the book approaches the technical aspect of putting in a different way than you might expect. * Karl and Gary talk about the common questions and mistakes they see from their readers and students.* Gary speaks to one of the six principles of putting they bring up in the book: Attention. It’s so easy for us to know what we should be doing, and yet our mind wonders and we whiff the putt (even though we nailed the same or harder putts earlier in the same game.) * Karl takes that and explains the different tactics to hone your attention in when going in for that crucial putt.* How their paths as teachers and coaches from two different areas of expertise crossed to culminate into their book.* They talk about what each has brought to the book and what they have discovered from each other/together, like the idea of the after-image when putting, and the difference between thinking positively and positive questions.
Caddy Shack or Happy Gilmore?
What’s you’re walk up song to the tee box?
Both: On Day’s Like These by Matt Monroe
If you could pick one person to play 18 holes of golf with, who would it be and where would you play?
Karl: Jack Nicklaus at Royal Lytham & St Annes
Gary: My Late Father, Seve Ballesteros, and Arnold Palmer at Anywhere.
Any last piece of advice for the 18Strong audience?
Karl: Be grateful for every opportunity you have to golf.
320: Ed MyLett [Revisited]: How to Build Confidence and Max Out Your Game
We like to say that the 18Strong show is more than a golf and fitness podcast, and you’re going to feel that exactly in this episode with Ed Mylett. Today, we are revisiting what I consider to be one of the most powerful interviews that we have ever done over the 300+ episodes of the 18STRONG Podcast.
For this week and possibly the next few weeks, I’m going to share a few of my personal favorite episodes. The ones that I tend to recommend over and over when I meet someone new.
Whether you’re a new listener or have been with us for a long time, these are episodes that I personally go back to on a regular basis because there is simply so much gold in them. And this one in particular has probably had the biggest impact on me out of all of the interviews I have done.
Ed Mylett is one of the top performance, personal development, and business coaches in the world right now and this episode is simply a master class on building your self-confidence in everything that you do. From the golf course to the gym, to the rest of your life; Ed breaks it all down to one very simple concept that has literally changed how I view any new goal or challenge. People literally pay thousands of dollars to be able to get this much time with Ed and you get to hear him speak and coach for free here on the 18STRONG Podcast. Enjoy!
Ed Mylett’s Background
* Ed Mylett grew up in Diamond Bar, CA. as the only boy in the family with three younger sisters. His father was his first example of what it takes to succeed in life.* Ed decided from a very young age that since he would have to work in life, he might as well work for himself and call his own shots. He realized right away that he was not going to spend his life working for someone else and building his or her dreams.* His wife Kristianna, who had been his sweetheart since they were teenagers, shared that same vision of life. Her father was an engineer who worked hard so her mother could stay home with her six children.* Mylett graduated from high school in Diamond Bar, California and attended the University of the Pacific in Stockton where he received a Bachelor of Arts degree in Communications. As a university student, Mylett balanced his studies in Communications with playing baseball for the NCAA Division 1 Pacific Tigers. He graduated from Pacific as a three-time All-American and the NCAA leader in stolen bases.* After graduating from college, he worked as a youth counselor for underprivileged boys.* In 2016, Mylett founded ED MYLETT SHOW, a Management Consulting Showbiz company located in Laguna Beach, California.* Mylett has been a business leader, peak performance expert, and a well-known keynote speaker in the business world. He coaches and mentors people in the business field. He has shared the stage and has very close personal relationships with other business legends such as Tony Robbins, John C. Maxwell, Phil Knight and many others.* In 2018, published the book #MAX OUT Your Life, A book on strategies for becoming an elite performer.
Highlights From This Episode:
* His background growing up, his business venture, how he started speaking to crowds, and his introduction to personal development at a young age that sparked his career.* They dynamic between him and his golfer son when they are out on the course: father to son, couch to athlete, and the major lesson he learned on the greens that revolutionized how he coached his son.* The idea of putting together little commitments, and utilizing fitness to both build your confidence and carry you to your goals. How being honest with yourself and setting physical goals that you can attain daily, weekly,
319: Drew “Sleezy” Stoltz: Taking Down Tour Pros, Talking Trash, and GOLF’s Subpar Podcast
Today we have Drew “Sleezy” Stoltz from GOLF’s Subpar Podcast. If you haven’t had a chance to listen to their show, they interview some of the most well-known names in the world of golf (Rickie Fowler, Gary Woodland, Jordan Spieth, Justin Thomas, just to name a few).
We had a blast talking with Drew about his background in golf, growing up playing the “Jicky Jacks” as he likes to call them, his pivot into the radio/media world and how he and Colt started their radio show and their massively popular podcast, GOLF’s SubPar pod.
Drew also sheds some insider light on living and playing in Scottsdale at Whisper Rock, a home to many tour pros, celebs, and athletes, along with some hilarious stories of taking down tour pros on the course and how talking trash is a secret weapon of his. Let’s just say we had a lot of fun on this episode.
Drew Stoltz’s Background
* Drew “Sleezy” Stoltz is a former semi-professional golfer turned radio/podcast host on the GOLF’s Subpar Podcast and Gravy and the Sleaze Show with his co-host Colt Knost.* Drew played collegiate golf at TCU and spent many years on the mini tours (aka Jicky Jacks)* Drew spends his days in Scottsdale Arizona with his wife and daughter, but frequents Whisper Rock Golf club where he, on occasion, takes money from PGA Tour players.
Highlights From This Episode:
* His history in the sport of golf and how he went from his semi-pro golf career to hosting one of the most popular golf radio shows and now podcasts with Colt Knost.* How he met and got to know Colt and the history of their radio show and podcast from it’s beginning to what it is now 2 hours a day 3 days a week. * He also talks about not only where his nickname comes from but how he likes to hand out nicknames that stick to tour players he plays with and his dream guest on his show.* He talks about why Scottsdale and more specifically Whisper Rock so special for not only its Upper course designed by Tom Fazio and Lower Course designed by Phil Mickelson, but for its mantra of leaving the ego at the door and treating all players as equals.* I ask my Drew vs. Colt questions to get a better idea for them as golf enthusiasts, players, and hosts like who would be a better host of Scottsdale, who is the bigger trashtalker, and what fitness/practice looks like to them.* The time he accidentally sent a trash-talking text to Jordan Spieth mid-round and he elaborates on his hit rap song “Scorpion Queen.”
Favorite Golf Movie? Tin Cup
Favorite Book? With Winning In Mind by Dr. Lanny Bassham
Walk-up song? What a man by Salt N Peppa
Bucket list course? Any where on the east coast of AustraliaOne course for the rest of your life? Pine ValleyWho is in your Dream Celebrity Foursome?
Ricky Gervais, Bill Burr, Larry David or Dave Chappelle
Who is in your Dream Athlete Foursome?
Nick Van Exel, Jason Williams, and Ladainian Tomlinson
Last Piece of Advice?
Get uncomfortable and love to compete
Where to Find Drew Stoltz:
TwitterGOLF’s Subpar Podcast
318: Michael Losier: How to RESET Your “Golf Vibes” and Get the Results You Want
If you feel like you are in a rut or not getting the results you want on or off the golf course, I want you to pay very close attention to this episode because our guest, Michael Losier, is literally the world’s foremost expert on teaching people how to get what they want.
Michael is known as the “how-to guy” for teaching the law of attraction. He is the best-selling author of 3 books: The Law of Attraction, The Law of Connection, and You Life’s Purpose. And his book, The Law of Attraction: The Science of Attracting More of What You Want and Less of What You Don’t (which we are really going to dive into in today’s episode) has sold over 3.5 million copies in over 37 languages.
But does what Michael teaches work for golf and all of the goals you are working toward in your life? The answer is definitely “YES” As you’ll hear Michael explain, we get what we focus on and it all boils down to what questions your asking yourself over and over again.
Michael Losier’s Background
* Michael Losier (low-zee-eh) , known as the how-to-guy for teaching Law of Attraction, is a best-selling author of the three (3) books: Law of Attraction, Law of Connection, and Your Life’s Purpose.* Law of Attraction has sold over 3.5 million copies in 37 languages. Michael caught the attention of Oprah Winfrey, who interviewed him four times on her Soul Series™ radio show on Sirius/XM. Oprah invited him to have his own show her Oprah & Friends Radio.* He has certified 550 Law of Attraction Facilitators in 17 countries, teaching them how to use Accelerated Learning Techniques when teaching Law of Attraction.* He lives n beautiful Victoria, BC, on Canada’s west coast.
Highlights From This Episode:
* Michael defines NLP and shares the background story of how his interest and dedication to learning and teaching the principles of the Law of Attraction led to him becoming a best-selling author and highly sought-after speaker.* He defines NLP and how he got to where he is today and what led him to write his three successful books.* He goes over his 5 point quiz to help us visualize how we already see and recognize the law of attraction in our own lives and how we can harness that to manifest the self you want to be.* Understanding and interpreting “Vibes”: how being able to decipher what our gut feelings are telling us about people, places, and actions to help us make the choices and tweak to get to where we want and what we want.* The importance of resetting the way you frame negatives to focus less on what you don’t have or want and more on outcomes and things you do.
Where to Find Michael Losier:
Law of Attraction Book
LINKSOUL: For your 20% discount on LINKSOUL gear, go to 18strong.com/linksoul or click the logo above.
LivPur: For your 15% discount on LivPur products, go to a href="http://18strong.
317: Jake Hutt: How to Hit it “Purina” and Suck Less at Golf . . .
Jake Hutt (Jake Hutt Golf and co-Founder of Dryvebox) was a hockey player growing up through his high school and college years but turned into a teaching pro and golf instructor that decided he was going to do things a little differently than any other instructor out there.
Because of his unique style, Jake’s golf content is exploding on social media right now. You see, Jake wants to grow the game like every other golf pro, but he also wants to break down the notion that the game has to be stuffy and serious all the time. Between the flatbill caps, his long hair (known as “flow” or “lettuce” or “salad” in the hockey world), and his instruction videos that are more like freestyle raps, Jake is killing it when it comes to content that is both helping and entertaining amateur golfers out there.
And it’s not just content that Jake is doing differently. His new company, Dryvebox, brings the driving range to you with a truck/trailer fully outfitted with a simulator and Trackman in the back. So in this world of craziness right now, you can literally play Augusta National or take a golf lesson in your driveway or the nearest parking lot!
Jake Hutt’s Background:
* Jake Hutt Played junior hockey for 3 years in the NAHL Topeka Roadrunners * Played College Hockey at Salve Regina in Rhode Island * He is a Class A teaching pro * Did apprenticeship at Stanford and taught there For 6 years * Jake has a passion and background in music, which he has used to separate his teaching from the rest via his uniques style of content on Instagram* Jake is the cofounder of Dryvebox, a mobile golf simulator company that “brings golf to everyone”
Highlights From This Episode:
* His background in hockey and golf and what led him to the level of golf instruction he is at now. * He also dives into his style of learning and how reading the essential Jack Niklaus and Ben Hogan literature and learning the physics and anatomy of the golf swing led to his creative and modern instruction videos.* The sheer volume of information that goes into a golf swing and how the average golfer can be overwhelmed trying to think of the biomechanics and physics of a golf swing so Jake likes to keep things as simple as possible and apply it in the most simple way. * He also talks on the focus with his videos of taking out the fluff and just getting the pertinent tips and ideas in a funny, engaging, and creative way.* Why he has an emphasis on how his swing looks, the juxtaposition of moving like a hockey player vs. moving like a golfer and what skills and techniques can cross over, and what needs to stay separate.* The conception and idea behind his company Dryvebox: a simulator out of a trailer that aims to make golf and golf instruction with leading technology more accessible.
Favorite Golf Movie? Happy Gilmore
Inspirational Book? The Talent code by Daniel Coyle
What is your walk-up song to the first teebox? Tu y Yo by Rogelio Martinez
If you could play anywhere in the world with any 3 people, who would it be and where would you play? Shia Lebeouf, Matthew McConaughey and Leonardo DiCaprio at CyprusIf you could only play one course for the rest of your life where would it be? Cypress Point
Where to Find Jake Hutt Golf and Dryvebox:
316: Lt Col Dan Rooney: High Speed, Low Drag Lessons for Golf and Life
In this week’s episode I have the privilege of sitting down with Lt Col Dan Rooney, the founder of Folds of Honor, one of the most successful charitable organizations in the game of golf.
Folds of Honor, provides educational scholarships to families of fallen or disabled service members and it was started back in 2007 as a basic fundraiser charity tournament and now has provided over $145 million dollars worth of scholarships to families.
Dan is also the only person on the planet that is both a fighter pilot AND PGA teaching professional so there is a lot of stuff to talk about on today’s episode. On top of that he is also the author of the new book Fly Into the Wind, so this episode is probably going to be one where you pull over the car, grab a pen and paper because there is definitely notes and insight to be taken from Dan on how his lessons as fighter pilot have guided so many of the decisions and habits of his life in the plane, on the course, and everywhere else.
Lt. Col. Dan Rooney’s Background:
* Lt Col Dan Rooney is the founder of the Folds of Honor, an F-16 Fighter Pilot (1,800 hours of flight time) with 3 combat tours in Iraq, and a PGA Golf Professional. * He is a Fox News contributor and host of the Fox Nation’s series Fly Into the Wind. * As an author he has written two books, A Patriot’s Calling: Living Life between Fear and Faith and Fly Into the Wind: How to Harness Faith and Fearlessness On Your Ascent to Greatness. * Lt Col Rooney was the motivational team speaker for two US Ryder Cup teams.* He has been recognized as one of People magazine’s”Heroes of the Year”, Money magazine’s”Hero of the Year” and ABC World News Tonight’s “Persons of the Year.” * He was a CNN Hero and awarded the Fox Nation Ultimate Patriot Award.* He lives in Owasso, Oklahoma with his wife, five daughters, and three dogs.
Highlights From This Episode:
* His background and how the synchronicity of chance and purpose led him to be both a fighter pilot and PGA Professional. * He talks on the parallels he has seen between the two spheres of his life and how his experience as a fighter pilot has improved his golf game and vice versa.* The inception of Folds of Honor, it’s humble beginnings to what it is now, its purpose and mission to help families of fallen or disable service members and it’s reach to date.* What led to him starting and founding Patriot Golf Day and how it has raised $58 million in its 13 years and how he is re-opening his fathers golf course as American Dunes with the help and design of Jack Niklaus this May.* He talks on the inspiration behind his new book Fly Into the Wind and the need of resistance to ascend to reach our goals and aspirations. * We also go through a few of the lines of effort from the book that helps in re-framing your life.
Favorite Golf Movie? Caddy Shack
Inspirational Book? The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle
What is your walk-up song to the first teebox? I’m Alright by Kenny Loggins
If you could play anywhere in the world with any 3 people, who would it be and where would you play? My Dad, My Grandfather and Jack Niklaus at Bandon Dunes (or anywhere on the water)
Where to Find Lt. Col. Dan Rooney, Folds of Honor, and his book:
Folds of Honor
Greatness invites Greatness
Jeff is the most humble of the top 50 golf fitness instructors. He invites the best and learns from them (allowing us listeners to learn even more)
Found this podcast. Right time and right place. Help gave me the motivation to start a journey in fixing my body
Needs to strengthen his ethics
Wish this guy the best, but not at the expense of others...