Pacific Northwest aficionados, AJ Barse and Chris Powell are your hosts each week talking about their views and interests in technology, travel, gear and watches. Recorded in Bellingham or on location (typically in their favorite local coffee establishments) in City of Subdued Excitement. Bellingham Washington. This show is also available on-air on Bellingham's KMRE 102.3FM.
Ep. 181 "Tech that taught us something new in the pandemic" #tech #watchfam
For the week of February 21, 2021
* Archive.org (http://archive.org/) now has all episodes
* 5 years of the show - Episode 1 = March 1, 2016....a leap year!
* One of the most asked questions I’ve had professionally all pandemic
* Pro-cam/iPhone as a webcam- https://www.ajbarse.com/pro-camera-as-your-web-camera/
* A watchgeeks’s approach to a connected (s)mart watch
* Garmin Instinct https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/621802/pn/010-02064-00
* Baltic Aquascaphe Bronze - https://baltic-watches.com/en/products/aquascaphe-bronze-blue-gilt
What I learned during the Pandemic - “Be it ever so humble, there’s no place like home” (https://balladofamerica.org/home-sweet-home/)
*Coffee Shop Life in 2021*
*Three tough questions to ask when going to a coffee shop*
* What am I there to do online?
* Are you connecting a device from work to a public wi-fi network?
* If so, are you willing to have the conversation with your boss about getting your laptop hacked, stolen, or damaged due to coffee spillage from those diminutive-sozed tables *meant for a coffee cup and a phone?*
* Do you really need to connect your personal mobile phone to a public wi-fi network?
*Consider a Paid VPN*
* Mullvad VPN - $6/month (https://mullvad.net/en/)
* No email needed to sign up. Website auto-generates a 16-digit number for you to use as an account
* Pay one-month fee via prepaid credit card?
* Install Mullvad software application, connect to a nearby city’s VPN server, off ya go
* Commafeed (https://www.commafeed.com/#/welcome) - “A bloat-free RSS reader”
* Stick your toe in the RSS pool. Free account, bookmark the webpage in your browser of choice, enjoy distraction free headlines
* anoni.sh (https://anoni.sh/) - A URL shortener with no logs of usage. For fans of bit.ly
* Canvas Insider Podcast (https://open.spotify.com/show/3fPJ8cMqRq9ptk8d77b9zE) - 30+ episodes about your favorite LMS, plus some helpful tech ideas for your online life
* Anchor SoundCore Mini (older version); $25, 15hrs on a charge w/ BT, SD, and Radio (must use USB cable for antenna- very clever) https://www.anker.com/products/variant/soundcore-mini/A3101111
3-Day-Weekend Station Break; and nerd out about the U.M.H.B.
Ep. 180 "Low-Fi Audiophilia" (Pt.2)
Definitive Albums of note
*Listening background*: Listened to a lot of oldies/country growing up. Later got into jazz/classical/folk in HS because of my own guitar playing and needing to find something to study to that wasn’t the Red Hot Chili Peppers
* Mason William 1968 Classical Gas
* Classic Sinatra (Hits and great performances 1953-1960) (https://music.apple.com/us/album/classic-sinatra-his-great-performances-1953-1960/730297130)
* Classical Guitar Masters: Variations in Measure (https://www.allmusic.com/album/classical-guitar-masters-variations-in-measure-mw0001352040);
* The Postal Service: Give Up (https://thepostalservice.bandcamp.com/album/give-up)
* John Gorka: The Company you Keep (https://www.johngorka.com/product/the-company-you-keep/)
* Chillhop (pretty much any album) but would point to Sleepy Fish: Everything Fades to Blue (https://chillhop.bandcamp.com/album/everything-fades-to-blue) (and the other two albums in the three part series) to start anyone out in Low-Fi
*Listening background*: 1950s Jazz thanks to my Dad, classical thanks to middle school band, then rock thanks to MTV’s Headbangers Ball
* Bruce Springsteen - Born in the U.S.A. - first cassette ever purchased.
* Pet Shop Boys - West End Girls - first 45 single ever purchased, because MTV
* George Thorogood - Live - first compact disc ever purchased.
* Ted Nugent - S/T - first LP album ever purchased, at a garage sale
* Dave Brubeck - Bravo Brubeck - live in mexico
* Wynton Marsalis - Marsalis Standard Time, Volume 1
* Vivaldi’s Four Seasons
* Nowadays - that would be a year’s worth of podcasts to discuss what I listen to at work, at home, in the car, in the gym, walking the dog, etc.
9128.Live - 24/7 streaming Ambient station https://9128.live/
Bellingham’s record shop: EM (Everyday Music) http://www.everydaymusic.com/
Global search for your local record store: https://recordstores.love/
Ep. 179 "Hi-Fi Audiophilia" (Pt.1)
Helen Jane Long: Perspective (https://helenjanelong.com/product/perspective-12-inch-vinyl/)
Heyday Turntable (https://www.target.com/p/heyday-8482-turntable-gray/-/A-53734379)(bluetooth) to a Vizio soundbar (bluetooth) (https://www.vizio.com/home-theater-system/sb2920d6.html)and wireless sub.
Analog/Digital sound quality debate
Vox: “Vinyl’s great, but its not better (https://www.vox.com/2014/4/19/5626058/vinyls-great-but-its-not-better-than-cds)“
CNET: “engineer says lp is the most accessible high res music format (https://www.cnet.com/news/mastering-engineer-says-the-lp-is-the-most-accessible-high-resolution-music-format/)“
FLAC (https://www.cnet.com/news/what-is-flac-the-high-def-mp3-explained/) : TL;DR MP3 and AAC are lossy data compression algorithms for sound files.
A Strangely Isolated Place - https://www.astrangelyisolatedplace.com/home
Neither seen nor heard - A journey through Ambient Music - https://www.astrangelyisolatedplace.com/blog/2014/10/12/neither-scene-nor-heard-a-journey-through-ambient-music
* Bandcamp (https://bandcamp.com/)
Ep. 178 Sustainable, Minimal, and Save Money? pt. 2
*Episode 178 for the week of January 24, 2021*
Sustainable and Minimal, Part 2 - Reduce - Reuse - Repair - Recycle
We got links in our Show Notes (Drink!)
Comfortable Safety Razor
Nothing new shoes
Finisterre Pampa Recycled Boots
24/6 - The Power of Unplugging one day a week
Ep. 177 Sustainable, Minimal, and Save Money? pt. 1
*Episode 177 ** **For the week of January 17, 2021*
Sustainable & Minimal, Part 1: Reduce - Reuse - Repair - Recycle
We got links in our Show Notes (Drink!)
Why is it brands insist on boxing these days?
Oris Watches Clean Ocean Limited Edition diver watch
Oak and Oscar Olmsted Matte
The Source Zero
(https://sustainableconnections.org/programs/think-local/) in Bellingham
Reusable produce bags
Reusable Utensils from Mightynest.com.
Data Detox Kit
Levi “Save The World” Hildebrand
Customer ReviewsSee All
A blend of PNW life and gear
What started off as a technology podcast now a local variety show on the topics that interest the hosts. Chris as 'captian minimal' and AJ the avid 'timelord', best when listning with a good cup of coffee in the PNW.
Fun, Easy Going, and Informative!
If you're looking for the latest tech analysis from a different angle, then you're listening to the right podcast!
Technologists that don't worship at the alter of Apple or Google give great tips and tricks while also giving you the rundown off all the happenings in and around Bellingham.
Listen once and you'll be hooked!
This podcast started out cool where they did interviews if people and places in the PNW. I binge-listened for awhile. Then all the sudden he started talking about watches....honestly dude rename your podcast if your just going to go on and on about watches. Bring back the old stuff. The good stuff!! Till then!