This podcast follows Tim Wojnar, Owner of Home Inspections Geeks which is located in Chicago, as he interviews experts from the real estate and home renovation and repair industries around the City to take a deeper dive into topics homeowners really need to know. Typical guests will be contractors, electricians, plumbers, real estate agents, insurance agents, and many more. Thanks for tuning in!
#17 - Inspector Mailbag: Plumbing, Electrical Much More
In this Episode, Tim goes solo to answer some questions from followers. Included in this episode, Tim answers:
1) What is the Best Way for a Homeowner to Tell their AC Unit is starting to deteriorate?
2) What causes white powder on brickwork?
3) What are some maintenance items for your plumbing system?
4) How can you tell if a fuse is overused?
5) Can soffit vent and new gutters improve your homes value.
#16 - How to Reduce Your Property Taxes (with Charles Hutchinson)
Charles Hutchinson , Esp. stopped by the podcast to talk about property taxes and what every homeowner can do to reduce them. Some of the topics we discussed were:
1) How is your property tax amount determined?
2) Where does your property tax money go to?
3) What is involved in the property tax appeal process?
4) How often should you appeal your taxes?
Charles Hutchinson has lived in Wilmette since 2011 with his wife, three children, and two dogs. He started his own practice, The Law Offices of Charles E. Hutchinson, immediately following his graduation from Chicago's John Marshall Law School and focuses his practice in the areas of Property Tax Appeals, Estate Planning, and Small Business Help.
Charles is a member of the Illinois State Bar Association, Phi Delta Phi honorary Legal Society, the Chicago Estate Planning Council, and the Wilmette/Kenilworth Chamber of Commerce. He also serves as the Chairman of the Wilmette Historical Preservation Commission.
When Charles isn't in the office, you might find him coaching one of his children's soccer teams, baseball or softball teams.
#15 - How to Properly Maintain your Air Conditioning Unit (with Anthony Pizano)
Anthony Pizano, co-owner of Phoenix HVAC, stopped by to talk to Tim about Air Conditioning related topics. Among topics discussed were:
1) How does your typical split-unit AC unit work?
2) How do you properly maintain your AC unit to get the most life from it?
3) What are common issues that AC units face over their lifespan?
4) Some solution for easily retrofitting older homes to have Central AC.
Anthony Pizano has been in the HVAC industry since 2005 and worked for a number of organizations over that time. He decided to venture into his own company in 2018 due to a deep need for seeing change in the industry. Leading with his concept of a 'Customer Focused Industry Based on Education' he, with the help of his business partner Bob McCarthy has built a huge following of very loyal customers which continues to grow through word of mouth.
Anthony keeps himself busy in work and out with a blended family of six children, hobbies of gardening and riding his motorcycle and the ever dreaded home improvement projects.
Running this family owned and operated business requires a lot more than just Anthony! His business partner Bob impacts the team by overseeing the Sales & Service side of things and Tony's sister Maggie runs the Office. Along with a team of 3 technicians on the road Phoenix is ready to tackle all of your HVAC needs!
Phoenix HVAC's Contact
Office Manager: Maggie
Phone Number: 224-829-HVAC
#14 - Mythbusting with a Mold Expert (Dylan McIntosh)
Dylan McIntosh from Indoor Sciences stopped by the podcast to talk about Mold in homes with Tim. Some topics discussed were:
What is mold and what makes it a health concern?Different types of mold and which are the most concerning?What causes mold to form in your home and how to prevent it?What are the different ways to test for mold and when you should call a professional?
The Dylan Indoor Science Contact
Phone: (773) 934-8068
#13 - Why Getting your Sewer Checked Can Save you a Crap Ton of Money
Will from Sewerviewer LLC stopped by the podcast to talk about why it is important to have a sewer inspection completed prior to purchasing any property. Some items that were discussed are:
1) What can be found during a sewer inspection.
2) What not to flush down your toilet.
3) How you can potentially have the City pay for your sewer repair (at least in Chicago)
4) When should you consider having your sewer scoped as a maintenance activity.
If you are interested in connecting with Will and Sewerviewer you can do so via the following means:
#12 - Riding the Emotional Rollercoaster of Buying a Home (with Adele Lang)
Chicago Realtor and my personal friend Adele Lang stopped by the podcast to talk about the emotional rollercoaster that is the home buying process. Adele is as good as any realtor I know at this and uses her degree in psychology to help her clients navigates the many ups and downs that come with homeownership. Some items we discussed:
1) When do you know you are ready to buy a home?
2) How not to get too high when searching for properties.
3) Wading the emotional lows of the inspection period.
4) Preparing for the unexpected during the closing day and beyond.
Adele Lang is a Chicago Realtor and Cofounder of the Two Door Group at Compass. Having served over 100 clients during the purchase and sale of their properties, she knows a thing or two about the emotional rollercoaster that awaits both buyers and sellers. Although she is a Realtor in profession, she is a nurturer and educator at heart with a background in Physchology. She takes her role as your steadfast support through every phase of the moving process very seriously. She provides whole process support from as early as the financial planning and preparation for a home purchase, all the way to moving day.
Adele's Contact Info