Dr. Phillip Cary sheds light on Plato’s philosophy in this latest edition of The Robin & Boom Show. In this podcast you will learn why the ideas of a thinker from the 5th century BC are more relevant today than ever before. Plato offers a valuable antidote to a culture in which goodness, truth, and beauty are so often perceived to be located in the purely immanent. Questions addressed in this podcast include:
* Was Plato a proto-Gnostic?
* Did Plato hate the material body?
* What is the relation between body and soul within Plato’s thought?
* How did Plato’s spiritual psychology become more complex as he matured?
* Does Plato’s spiritual psychology shed light on issues we face in the modern world?
* How do human bodies reflect the forms of ultimate things?
* How did Socrates influence Plato at the beginning of his career, and Aristotle towards the end of his career?
* Does erotic love have spiritual value?
* What is the role of desire in truth-seeking?
* What role did neoplatonism play in in Eastern Orthodox theology?
* How did St. Augustine appropriate Plato’s philosophy for the West?
* Can a contemporary appropriation of neoplatonism shed light on modern issues like malls and movies?
View all Episodes of The Robin & Boom Show