Julia Galef (@juliagalef), author of The Scout Mindset, joins Erik on this episode to discuss:
- Why everyone, including entrepreneurs, should want to see reality more clearly.
- The fact that the bottleneck to more rationality is not lack of knowledge, but lack of motivation to see the world as it really is.
- Why the “soldier mindset” is the default mindset and why signalling keeps it that way.
- Why thinking probabilistically has a calming psychological effect.
- How to adopt the scout mindset by thinking in bets, considering what you’d do if another person was in your shoes, and noticing where you’re defensive of your beliefs.
- How to get your organization to adopt a scout mindset.
- Her thoughts on changing minds with mistake theory vs. conflict theory.
- The evolution of the rationality space over time.
Thanks for listening — if you like what you hear, please review us on your favorite podcast platform.
Check us out on the web at www.villageglobal.vc or get in touch with us on Twitter @villageglobal.
Want to get updates from us? Subscribe to get a peek inside the Village. We’ll send you reading recommendations, exclusive event invites, and commentary on the latest happenings in Silicon Valley. www.villageglobal.vc/signup