300 episodes

The Weekend Collective on Newstalk ZB is an intelligent and fun take on the life you live and what you love. Join Tim Wilson, Tim Roxborogh and a range of special expert guests talking about the week's big issues from politics to parenting, finance, wellness and property.

The Weekend Collective Newstalk ZB

    • News

The Weekend Collective on Newstalk ZB is an intelligent and fun take on the life you live and what you love. Join Tim Wilson, Tim Roxborogh and a range of special expert guests talking about the week's big issues from politics to parenting, finance, wellness and property.

    Chris Di Leva: You don't need to be rich to invest!

    Chris Di Leva: You don't need to be rich to invest!

    LISTEN ABOVE 

    • 39 min
    Kyle MacDonald: Does cannabis affect mental health?

    Kyle MacDonald: Does cannabis affect mental health?

    LISTEN ABOVE 

    • 38 min
    Charles Croucher: Donald Trump calls impeachment attempt to rewrite 2016 election

    Charles Croucher: Donald Trump calls impeachment attempt to rewrite 2016 election

    Donald Trump's legal team filed its formal response Saturday evening to the Senate summons of the President, offering the first glimpse into what will ultimately be the White House's impeachment defense.
    The response -- which calls the articles "constitutionally invalid" and says they are an attack on Americans -- argued both substantively, against the charges in the articles, and procedurally, against the House's impeachment inquiry.
    "President Trump categorically and unequivocally denies each and every allegation in both articles of impeachment," the document reads.
    The legal team argues that the first article of impeachment, abuse of power, "alleges no crime at all, let alone 'high crimes and Misdemeanors,' as required by the Constitution." The team cited Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky's repeated denials that he felt any pressure from Trump as evidence that Trump did not abuse his power during the July 25 phone call.
    The team pointed to the fact that the President released transcripts of both the July 25 phone call and an earlier one on April 21 to argue the conversations were "perfectly legal, completely appropriate and taken in furtherance of our national interest."
    Defending Trump against the second article of impeachment, obstruction of Congress, the legal team claimed the administration "replied appropriately to these subpoenas and identified their constitutional defects."
    The legal team highlighted the fact that House Democrats did not seek to enforce their subpoenas in court. Democrats have said they chose not to do so because they did not want the investigation to get bogged down in a months-long court battle when they felt they had collected sufficient evidence already.
    The legal team cast the White House's refusal to cooperate with the impeachment inquiry as an effort to exercise its executive branch authority, and accused the House of attempting to "bypass our Constitution's system of checks and balances."
    House Democrats argue Trump threatens 'national security'
    Meanwhile, House Democrats on Saturday released their argument for why President Donald Trump should be removed from office by the Senate in the upcoming impeachment trial, calling on the Senate to "eliminate the threat that the President poses to America's national security."
    The House impeachment managers filed to the Senate their trial brief, a summary explaining why the House passed two articles of impeachment last month charging Trump with abuse of power and obstruction of Congress ahead of the trial arguments kicking off next week.
    "President Trump's conduct is the Framers' worst nightmare," the managers wrote in the brief.
    The House managers made their case directly to the senators who will act as jurors in the impeachment trial.
    "History will judge each Senator's willingness to rise above partisan differences, view the facts honestly, and defend the Constitution," the managers wrote. "The outcome of these proceedings will determine whether generations to come will enjoy a safe and secure democracy in which the President is not a king, and in which no one, particularly the President, is above the law."
    Trump's legal team
    A source close to the White House who speaks to Donald Trump regularly said the President has appeared "distracted" by the impeachment trial that begins on Tuesday, telling people around him Friday night at Mar-a-Lago in Florida that he "can't understand why he is impeached."
    "Why are they doing this to me," the source quoted Trump as saying repeatedly.
    Trump has been telling associates and allies around him that he wanted a "high profile" legal team that can perform on television, the source said. It's simply who Trump is, the source continued, adding Trump loves having people who are on television working for him.
    This in part may explain why Kenneth Starr and Alan Dershowitz were added to the legal team representing th

    • 6 min
    Enda O'Brady: How will Harry and Meghan fund their lifestyle?

    Enda O'Brady: How will Harry and Meghan fund their lifestyle?

    Prince Harry and Meghan Markle have announced they will no longer receive taxpayer handouts once they ditch royal life - but there is speculation that Prince Charles will still fund their privileged lifestyle. 
    They are expected to continue to receive money from the Duchy of Cornwall via Prince Charles, which is currently thought to amount to £2.3 million a year.
    As part of today's bombshell announcement this evening that they are giving up their royal roles, Buckingham Palace revealed Harry and Meghan would give up their Sovereign Grant money - which equates to some £100,000 a year.
    The have also promised to repay the £2.4 million Sovereign Grant cash that was used for their Frogmore Cottage revamp.
    Despite making no mention of being bankrolled by Prince Charles, it is understood he will continue to subsidise their expenses.
    The Daily Mail's Royal Correspondent Rebecca English said Harry and Meghan will not receive any further public funding, "but will continue to receive funds from the Prince of Wales privately".
    Previously, a former aide told the Daily Mail: "Prince Charles's attitude is always just pay what needs to be paid and move on.
    "It's usually the path of least resistance when it's to do with the boys."
    However, the Daily Mail's Richard Kay reported that those familiar with some of the eye-watering numbers which have crossed the royal desk at Clarence House say
    One figure went so far as to say that the money he spends, not just on Harry and Meghan but also on financing William and Kate, was "draining him".
    However, UK correspondent Enda Brady told the Weekend Collective he doesn't think Prince Charles will continue to fund them either.
    "I think the Queen would have spoken to Charles at length in private, and I think Harry and Meghan made their decision." 
    Officially, the brothers and their households are funded out of Charles's Duchy of Cornwall estate, but, in fact, the Prince has at times had to dip into his own private reserves.
    At one stage he was paying the Sussexes more than William and his family.
    That figure is now understood to be around the same, with Harry and William each receiving approximately £2.5 million.
    However, the Prince has let it be known that his funds are not inexhaustible and that there is a limit to how far and how much he can pay.
    Insiders speak of the "hundreds of thousands of pounds" the Prince made available to furnish the couple's Windsor home after their decision to abandon Kensington Palace.
    According to a source, the figures involved in providing for both boys have in recent times been flagged up to the Prince by his accounting staff on more than one occasion.
    "There's usually a raised eyebrow, but the Prince always just signs them off," says the source.
    All the same, he has made it clear that while he will continue to fund his sons, there can be, as one courtier put it, "no blank cheque".
    The couple will now be free to do any commercial deals they like and appear to be continuing their 'Sussex Royal' brand, even though they are no long Royal Highnesses.
    If Meghan were to go back to acting she could be in for a princely sum of money, as she made £3million from appearing on American TV show Suits.
    A source said the couple will spend the majority of their time in North America, and had not signed any commercial agreements as yet.
     

    • 8 min
    Government spent almost $500,000 on advertising to get overseas teachers to NZ

    Government spent almost $500,000 on advertising to get overseas teachers to NZ

    The Government spent almost half a million dollars on foreign advertising in a bid to woo overseas teachers to come work in New Zealand as the country grapples with a teacher "supply crisis".
    Teachers' Unions say the Government needs to be doing more to train additional Kiwi teachers.
    But the Government says it inherited major issues with teachers supply when it won power in 2017 and has blamed the previous National Government for not training enough teachers.
    National's Education spokeswoman Nikki Kaye disagrees and said the Government has had two years to sort this issue out and blaming National was not good enough.
    Information, released under the Official Information Act (OIA), reveals that since June 2016, the Government has spent almost half a million dollars on advertising in a bid to attract overseas teachers to work in New Zealand.
    In the year to June, 2019 the Government spent a whisker under $200,000 on an advertising campaign to attract foreign teachers to the country.
    And it appears the campaign was a success.
    According to the Ministry of Education, more than 500 formally overseas teachers have been placed into roles since September 2018.
    As well as this, more than 860 overseas-based teachers have received relocation grants to take up teaching positions in New Zealand.
    "Following the campaign, there have been more than 17,000 applications from overseas teachers to work in New Zealand," the Ministry ofEducation's Deputy Secretary of Early Learning and Student Achievement Ellen MacGregor-Reid said.
    She added that there are currently close to 800 overseas teachers who have been screened and are ready for schools to interview.
    But NZEI President Liam Rutherford said the Government's focus should be on training teachers in New Zealand, not looking to bring in more from overseas.
    Although he welcomed overseas teachers coming to New Zealand, he said that should only be a short-term solution.
    Post Primary Teachers' Association (PPTA) President Jack Boyle said although the advertising campaign was "well worth the money" it is disappointing that it has got to the point where the Government had to look offshore for teachers.
    "Due to a range of factors, including people leaving the workforce and an increase in the student population, we found ourselves with some pretty desperate shortages, particularly in secondary schools in Auckland."
    He said the Government needed to do something to get sufficient teachers as quickly as possible to cover the shortfall.
    On behalf of the Minister of Education, Duty Minister Jenny Salesa said the Government inherited a "teacher supply crisis" when it came into office in 2017.
    Teacher enrolments were down by 40 per cent, she said.
    However, she said the Government has been working to turn that trend around and Education NZ's overseas requirement drive is part of that plan.
    She said that scheme was a "short-term measure to fill current gaps".
    "We also have a comprehensive set of teacher supply initiatives to grow the number of New Zealand trained teachers in the medium to long-term."
    Kaye said there has been "serious issues for some time" about how the Government attracts and retains quality teachers.
    She said if National wins this year's election, it will put in place financial incentives which would help address both of those issues.
    She added that there was a case to be made about having overseas teachers, but it is important that the balance is right.
     

    • 3 min
    Emily Writes: Are the school holidays too long?

    Emily Writes: Are the school holidays too long?

    Parenting blogger Emily Writes joins The Parenting Squad on The Weekend Collective to share her thoughts on school holidays continuing into early February and if they should be cut back.
    LISTEN TO THE AUDIO ABOVE

    • 31 min

Top Podcasts In News

Listeners Also Subscribed To