This week Aaron and Tracy chat with Zac Ruiz of Den For Our Cubs. They discuss how he and his wife made the decision to leave their life in Southern California to live in a tent in New Mexico- and Zac’s philosophy on living a life you love.
You can always call and leave your questions and comments on our voicemail!
QUICK FACTS ABOUT ZAC’S HOME:
- They currently live in New Mexico.
- They transitioned from apartment, to camper and then to the tent.
- The canvas home is 300 sq ft and 12 ft tall.
- They built a platform and then a frame, then essentially just slid the tent on.
- They have polycarbonate sheets on the front of the tent to let in sunlight.
- They heat the tent with a propane heater. This is the one he mentioned: https://www.mrheater.com/big-buddy-portable-heater.html
- They have a water well and use their Berkey to filter it. https://www.berkeyfilters.com
- The house cost $5,000 to build.
- They have a composting toilet. This is the one thing Zac mentioned not enjoying in terms of upkeep.
- They’re not off the grid, they go into “town” for normal activities.
“If you don’t like your life- try something. If you still don’t like it- try something else!”
The Etsy Shop:
- Zac sells custom lights for homes and businesses.
- He builds in shipping container.
Q: Did you ever have a moment where it was so overwhelming and you felt like you made the wrong choice?
A: There are always doubts/fears but he was so tired of California and ready for a change that this life is refreshing.
Q: Do you plan on homeschooling?
A: Yes. Zac and his siblings were homeschooled and they plan on doing the same.
Q: Are bugs a problem?
A: Surprisingly, NO!
Q: Do you grow your own vegetables?
A: Yes, but not a full farm lifestyle. They try to buy local as much as possible.
Website | https://denforourcubs.wordpress.com
The Gram | https://www.instagram.com/DENFOROURCUBS/
Etsy | https://www.etsy.com/shop/MoonStoneFox
FOLLOW US on social media:
Website | https://howtohome.com/
Instagram | http://bit.ly/2WqVfSp
Twitter | http://bit.ly/2RRyYij
Facebook | http://bit.ly/2MC3Hdc
Youtube | http://bit.ly/2SifqTH
SUBSCRIBE to the How to Home Podcast:
Itunes | https://apple.co/2DL0lSp
Android | http://bit.ly/2B9k7Fm
Stitcher | http://bit.ly/2DM0W6c
Spotify | https://spoti.fi/2GcRCKo
THANK YOU TO OUR SPONSOR FILTERBUY.COM