Why I rejected the Trinity and accepted Tawhid
1 Say, “He is God, One; God, The Eternal, The Sustainer. He neither begets, nor was born. And there is nothing comparable to Him.” [Quran 112]
2 Similarities between the Bible and the Quran.
* “Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one.” [Deuteronomy 6:4]
* “... Jesus (says), ‘…Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one.’ “ [Mark 12:29]
* “You shall have no other gods before Me. You shall not make for yourself an image in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, …” [Exodus 20:3-5]
* “… You have never heard his voice nor seen his form,..” [John 5:37]
* “… God, the Blessed and only Ruler, the King of kings and Lord of lords, who alone is immortal … and who is unseen and cannot be seen… “ [1 Timothy 6:16]
3 Definition/meaning of Trinity
* One God with three personalities (Father, son and holy ghost) i.e. co-equal, co-eternal, omnipresent, all-powerful, all-knowing
* Regarding omnipresence – “As it is, you are looking for a way to kill me (Jesus), a man who has told you the truth that I heard from God, Abraham did not do such things.” [John 8:40]
* Regarding All-Knowing – “But about that day or hour, no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the son, but only the Father.” [Matthew 24:36]
* Regarding All-Powerful – “By myself (Jesus) I can do nothing; I judge only as I hear, and my judgement is just, for I seek not to please myself but Him who sent me.” [John 5:30]
* Jesus testifies many times that miracles are testimony to God’s power, not his own, as did all the prophets before similarly testify in the Bible.
* “… it is by the Spirit of God that i drive out demons, …” [Matthew 12:28] “But if drive out demons by the finger of God,…” [Luke 11:20]
4 Is there historic precedence for the Trinity in the first 300 years after Christ
* Council of Nicaea – Constantine
* Pagan Mithraism commonalities with Christianity
* Church Father (scholar) Tertullian tries to defend Christianity’s similarities to Mithraism
* Inclusion of Holy Spirit at First Council of Constantinople AD 381
5 In his words, is Jesus God?
* “Now this is eternal life: that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent.” [John 17:3]
6 ‘Ho theos’ not ‘ton theon’ [John 1:1] [John 1:18] [John 20:28] [2 Corinthians 4:4]