Family Friday is a show that we do every Friday where we talk about raising our families and parenting our children according to God's design. Our goal is present you with thought-provoking information about what God's Word says about family and practical advice for raising your children.
In this episode, we address one of the more difficult aspects of parenting - when and how should we talk to our children about sex? We address that question head on - as well as WHY this is such a vital role that we play in our children's lives.
Our outline for talking about sex with our children:
1. Pray together for unity and clarity.
2. Read and discuss Genesis 1:27 (God created us male and female).
3. Read and discuss Genesis 2:18-25 (God's desire for community, the institution of marriage, and becoming one in marriage).
4. Talk about what it means to "become one" in marriage.
5. Talk about the gift of sex that God gave to us as a pleasurable act of worship within marriage and a means of having babies.
6. Talk about the physical mechanics of having sex.
7. Recap how the physical mechanics of having sex reflect our oneness within marriage.
8. Talk about what purity means and why it is important.
9. Talk practically about how your son/daughter can live a lifestyle of purity - what your expectations are and what God's expectations are for purity.
10. Talk about the reality of how the world looks at sex and perverts it.
11. Talk about pornography - what it is, why it exists, and why it dishonors sex, marriage, and God.
12. Talk practically about what to do if anyone (a predator) tries to approach your son/daughter sexually.
13. Talk practically about what your son/daughter should do when (not if) they are exposed to pornographic material.
14. Ask them for their questions and thoughts THROUGHOUT. Reiterate to them that you are proud of them growing older and that this conversation is a reflection of their growing maturity.
Support this podcast: https://anchor.fm/marriagebydesign/support