This is a friendly talk with Ben Ballingall representative of Flux Party. Flux Party is an Australian Issues Based Direct Democracy political party, aiming to replace our government system with an issue based direct voting system.
In this talk, we will be talking about meeting a British citizen who told us about his experience with Brexit. From this background you will learn more about what is Issues Based Direct Democracy and Flux party as well as the potential pros and cons of such a system.
This was recorded on 2020-02-11
Flux Party Website: https://voteflux.org
Some of the questions we asked is about the IBDD system that Flux is implementing:
* Q: What Issue Based Direct Democracy
* Q: Citizen Juries vs Flux (Issues Based Direct Democracy)
* Q: People aren't engaged; not aware they're not in democracy; media doesn't tell them their choices. How to get to people if not aware of?
* Q: Is there an algorithm for selecting issues - as representative as possible?
We also talked about more Flux specific questions:
* Q: What is the theory and philosophy behind IBDD and Flux?
* Q: Will interest groups cause problems? How would you stop that in your proposal?
* Q: If you manage to get a representative into parliament, how is it going to work with the normal representative? (They're assumed to be an autonomous actor in the parliament.)
* Q: What sort of result would you need in the next elections before you can get a representative into parliament?
* Q: Is there an algorithm for selecting issues - as representative as possible of the public?