The official podcast of The Financial Planning Training Academy. Hosted by Steve Martin and Damien Rylett. If you are Financial Adviser or Planner who is passionate about getting better, you have come to the right place. This is a series of conversations with the leading lights in financial services who are willing to share their knowledge.
Man’s search for Significance and Purpose - with Jason Butler
* We hear why Jason had to “move on” from the firm that he founded
* About the emotional toll before and after exit
* His 3 tips for exiting a business
* What he would have done differently
* How to not make it personal and keep the eyes on the prize.
“If at first you don’t succeed.....” - Marlene Outrim
* In this POD we learn about the two successful acquisitions UNIQ has made.
* We hear about the lessons learnt from the two that didn’t complete.
* We hear about the importance of having your own ship in order.
* The value of a really good lawyer
* The challenge of managing the former owner relationship.
Founder and Managing Director
UNIQ Family Wealth
True entrepreneurs seek and live for the challenge - with Michael Smith
* Why Michael started buying businesses as soon as he opened his business
* Why he is a true entrepreneur
* How he designs and maintains his culture
* Acquisition is not a solution for an underperforming business
* An update on the 25 year plan
It’s all the planning - Neil & Helen Bailey
Neil & Helen Bailey
Fortitude Financial Planning
It’s all in the planning
* Why a personal life plan is needed first to exit a business
* Why good business practice is needed no matter what option is chosen to exit
* How being honest and starting early will stand you in good stead
* Why shared values trump everything
Boiling The Frog Slowly - with Ruth Sturkey
* Learn how Ruth built The Red House
* Ruth explains the drivers behind and motivations for her exit
* She shares how Paradigm Norton were the firm for her
* The challenges she faced and biggest lessons and lots of tips
Lee Robertson - selling to the team, protecting the business for them and their clients
Lee's advice when you are planning to sell and exit your business
1. Start early
2. Have grown up discussions
3. Have those facilitated by the company lawyer
4. Decide on how and when to involve the team, don't wait for them to find out
5. Don't make it personal
6. Keep it honest and transparent
7. Pay for the best possible advice