Welcome to the Glenn Mackintosh Show - A fun EVIDENCE-BASED health psychology podcast where we talk everything eating, exercise, weight & body image! You won’t find weight loss hacks or other fictional tales here! You will find MIND-BENDING interviews, Glenn’s YouTube Q&A Thursday Therapy Podcastified & so much awesome stuff to help you make peace with food, love moving your body, embrace body positivity & generally kill it at life! Subscribe & let Glenn regularly bring YOU stigma-busting therapy! Learn more & get show notes & transcripts at www.weightmanagementpsychology.com.au/podcast
The BMI Lie (podcast from Thinsanity Audiobook)
In this special excerpt from the Thinsanity audiobook, I share the surprising truth about the Body Mass Index, from its unexpected origins to its unethical manipulation by big business to turn a profit. I then explore a re-interpretation of BMI categories based on actual science (not paid-for/company sponsored science), and the possibility that we’re all (finally) ready to be free of it …
If you’d like to learn more about the new way forward that we are all ready for that I talk about at the end of the podcast, I’d like to invite you to download a copy of the audiobook for yourself!
Order Thinsanity audiobook on Audible*: https://bit.ly/2HhWj8d
Order Thinsanity audiobook on Apple Books: https://apple.co/35gL08x
Order Thinsanity audiobook on Kobo: https://bit.ly/2HdgGUy
Order Thinsanity audiobook on Google Play: https://bit.ly/3oOXflB
*Australian link provided. To purchase Thinsanity in your area, please go to your local Audible website and search ‘Thinsanity’!
Selected Links from Podcast:
Podcast page (showing diagrams): https://bit.ly/3fv2mU3
Supplementary materials from audiobook: https://bit.ly/369Hs9O
Coping with COVID-19 - Webinar with Twelve Month Transformation participants
I speak with my Twelve Month Transformation Online participants about coping with COVID-19. In this recorded webinar – which becomes a bit like group therapy – the group and I discuss:
✔︎ Applying the ‘3Ps’ of optimism in a global pandemic
✔︎ Reducing stress and emotional eating while social distancing
✔︎ What to do about health goals during this unprecedented crisis
Selected Links from Podcast:
‘Thinsanity: 7 Steps to Transform Your Mindset and Say Goodbye to Dieting Forever’: https://glennmackintosh.com/thinsanity/
Twelve Month Transformation Online Program: https://www.weightmanagementpsychology.com.au/tmt-online/
Video of Webinar: https://www.weightmanagementpsychology.com.au/coping-with-covid-19-webinar-with-twelve-month-transformation-participants/
Our Facebook Support Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/WeightManagementPsychology/
‘Learned Optimism’ by Martin Seligman: https://www.amazon.com.au/Learned-Optimism-Change-Your-Mind-ebook/dp/B005DB6S7K
Louise Green podcast: https://glennmackintosh.com/louisegreen/
Louise Green 30 Days Free Offer: https://bigfitgirlfitness.vhx.tv/checkout/subscribe/purchase?campaign=30daysfree
Yoga with Adriene: https://www.youtube.com/user/yogawithadriene
Dr. Gina Cleo - Creating Healthy Habits
Research suggests that half of everything we do is habitual. But most attempts to improve our health actually focus on changing behaviours rather than habits, meaning we still need to consciously use effort and willpower in order to continue our improvements into the long-term. Our next guest has identified this huge problem and made it her life’s work to research some amazingly simple ways to create healthy habits that last for life.
In this playful and lively interview, Australia’s only full-time habits researcher Dr Gina Cleo and I discuss:
- The difference between behaviours and habits.
- Setting the record straight on how long it takes to create a habit.
- Gina likes variety, Glenn likes routine (and what this means for you!)
- You only need motivation to get started (habits keep you going!)
- Changing habits WITHOUT a diet or exercise plan (no yo-yo!)
- How habit change is NOT sexy, but it IS life-changing.
- Creating micro-habits to re-wire the brain’s pathways.
- Breaking habits through ‘restructuring’ and ‘reprogramming’.
- How to make new habits that are as rewarding as old habits!
Selected Links from Podcast:
Pre-Order Thinsanity: https://www.weightmanagementpsychology.com.au/thinsanity
Sum Sanos Program: https://www.sumsanos.com/
Dr. Gina’s Website: https://www.drginacleo.com/
The Ten Top Tips: http://www.weightconcern.org.uk/sites/all/themes/weightcon/images/OriginalTTTLeaflet.pdf
Video with Lyndi Cohen about adding, not subtracting: https://www.weightmanagementpsychology.com.au/episode-34-combining-intuitive-eating-and-nutritious-eating/
Lyndi Cohen – From Shame to Fame - A personal story of non-dieting
Do you like the sound of body positivity and intuitive eating, but struggle to make them work for you in real life? Living in a crazy culture of weight obsession makes it pretty hard. But today’s guest has overcome her own personal struggles with food and her body, and made it her life’s mission to help others do the same.
In this heartwarming interview, leading non-diet and Today show dietitian Lyndi Cohen and I discuss:
- Lyndi’s personal story of dieting since before age 11.
- How Lyndi did the OPPOSITE of what she was taught as a dietitian.
- Moving from “control” to “choice”.
- The importance of enjoyment (using salad dressing as an example!)
- How Lyndi invests in mental health and manages anxiety.
- Why Lyndi and I both see psychologists.
- Balancing body positivity and the desire to lose weight.
- Lyndi’s 20 kilogram weight loss (the part people don’t focus on).
- Using your high willpower self to support your low willpower self.
- Stamp collecting healthy habits and the power of imperfect action!
- The important difference between a meal plan and meal planning.
- How-tos and troubleshooting (Q&A from my Facebook Group).
- Creating a health-supportive environment (without restricting).
- Dealing with afternoon snacking and overeating when stressed.
- Differentiating habit cravings from “want it” cravings.
- Lyndi’s advice on “losing stubborn body fat” (client question).
- The “building a bridge” metaphor of health change (I love this!)
- Lyndi’s advice for dealing with weight comments and body bullies.
Selected Links from Podcast:
Twelve Month Transformation Online Program
Lyndi's Back to Basics Program
Lyndi and Glenn’s video on combining intuitive eating with nutritious eating.
The Nude Nutritionist Book
Our Psychology of Eating, Movement, Weight, & Body-image Support Group.
See more at: https://www.weightmanagementpsychology.com.au/podcast/
Dr. Julie T. Anné - Stop self-sabotage and end binge eating
Working on mindset and developing the ability to intuitively eat are so important for cultivating a healthy relationship with food. But research suggests they are only 50% of the puzzle for people who have deeper issues underlying their eating struggles. If you are one of these people, resolving these issues can help you completely heal your relationship with food and end binge eating for good.
In this goosebump-giving interview world-leading eating disorders and trauma expert, Dr. Julie T. Anné and I discuss:
- That a FULL recovery from disordered eating is possible.
- The difference between emotional eating, binging, & just poor eating habits.
- The underlying psychological reasons why we binge.
- How to identify if you’ll benefit from doing “deeper work”.
- The three pillars of psychological wellness that protect against binge eating:
- A loving relationship with yourself.
- A healthy relationship with your emotions, &
- Safe supportive personal relationships.
- What creates a positive emotional foundation.
- How childhood experiences and trauma affect your emotional foundation.
- “Reworking history” and developing a new emotional foundation.
- How changing yourself creates intergenerational
- Practical steps you can take to start working on deeper issues.
- What therapy looks like and how to find someone to support you.
Links from Podcast:
- Weight Management Psychology Team (Skype sessions available all over Australia)
- A New Beginning - Arizona’s Premier Eating Disorder Treatment Clinic
- The Healthy Weigh Out - Revolutionary Emotional and Binge Eating Program
- Psychology of Eating, Movement, Weight, & Body Image Facebook Support Group
- Dr. Julie & Dr. Ashley’s YouTube Channel
- Our mutual friend Taryn Brumfitt
- Dr Julie on Instagram & Facebook
- Dr Ashley on Instagram
- Feelings, Wants, & Needs List (from free resources section of our website)
Where to find a psychologist to help you do this work: see information on this page https://www.weightmanagementpsychology.com.au/drjulietanne
Dr. Peta Stapleton - The Science Behind Tapping
Emotional Freedom Techniques, often called EFT or Tapping, is an amazing therapy that’s been scientifically shown to reduce food cravings, improve emotional wellbeing, and lead to weight loss without dieting. So what is tapping, why does it work, and how can YOU get the most out of this innovative and easy-to-learn technique?
In this mind-opening interview world-leading researcher and master trainer in tapping for food and weight management, Dr. Peta Stapleton and I discuss:
- What tapping actually is.
- The new science revealing why tapping works.
- Why people who tap are so damn lovely!
- What areas (other than food and weight) tapping works for.
- How to make the most out of the technique.
- Tapping is part of the “Fourth Wave” of psychology.
- A sneak peek into Peta’s new book “The Science of Tapping” (out now!): https://www.amazon.com/Science-behind-Tapping-Management-Technique/dp/1401955738/
- The 3 steps required to free yourself of old baggage.
- Troubleshooting tapping!
If you loved this chat and feel like you need a helping hand to embrace the power of tapping to help you transform your eating, physical activity, weight, and body-image, we have a fully online program that will help you eliminate food cravings while still being able to eat your favourite foods, lose weight without dieting, and eat well without willpower. Find out more (and don’t forget to use the coupon code “GMACK” for 10% off!): https://www.weightmanagementpsychology.com.au/onlinecourses/tappingforweightmanagement
Selected Links from Podcast:
Dr. Peta Stapleton: https://petastapleton.com/
The Science Behind Tapping Book – Available Now: https://www.amazon.com/Science-behind-Tapping-Management-Technique/dp/1401955738/
Tapping for Weight Management Online Program: https://www.weightmanagementpsychology.com.au/onlinecourses/tappingforweightmanagement
Want free vids, all the podcasts, articles & special offers? Join our mailing list now! http://eepurl.com/-whnD
Customer ReviewsSee All
A big YES to this podcast
Glenn has a way with his spoken word that just gets you excited and motivated to be better, I love it. Some really purposeful and practical content for such a new podcast. Big fan, high fives mate!
Love Glenn’s voice
Love Glenn’s voice but also enjoying the content and find such eye opening conversations. Very interesting and lots of ahar moments
This podcast is so easy to listen to! Glenn’s way of talking really invites you into the space of the conversation and inspires curiosity. Great to see more content from health professionals who actually know they are talking about and also give a damn! Looking forward to the next one 👍🏼