The Weird Growth Podcast is about the journey of growth which is often strange and unpredictable for founders. Startups don't grow in a linear fashion but in a weird way. In this podcast, we hear founders share their stories about taking the first steps towards finding early customers, finding the right marketing channels to grow, through to rapid expansion and success.
Weird Growth #23 - Keep an eye out for bugs - Alex Dunmow & John Nguyen
From a tech meetup to cofounding one of Perth's fastest growing development houses. Alex and John from Ninja Software have built a great company over the last 5 years. On this episode of Weird Growth we chatted about Synthetic Biology, Agile Software Development vs Fixed Fee, proof of concept apps and building a passionate dev team. They also run Tech Society a great podcast we've linked below in the show notes go and check it out.
- Tech Society Podcast - https://www.techsociety.fm/
- Ninja Software - https://www.ninjasoftware.com.au/
- Silicon Valley - https://www.hbo.com/silicon-valley
- Bubble - https://bubble.io/
- Adobe XD - https://www.adobe.com/au/products/xd.html
- The Game Changer Awards - https://www.gamechangerawards.com.au/
- Quake - https://store.steampowered.com/app/2310/QUAKE/
- The Snoo - https://happiestbaby.com.au/
Weird Growth #22 - Navigate Sales, Optimize and Grow - Cian Brennan
Cian gave us a great recap on how he started his business Quantum Contract Solutions and how he scaled through great business metrics. Cian's approach to sales is a great blueprint for service businesses and B2B. If you love sales, you'll love this episode of Weird Growth. More links in the show notes.
- Pipedrive - https://www.pipedrive.com/
- The Ultimate Blueprint - https://www.amazon.com.au/Ultimate-Blueprint-Insanely-Successful-Business-ebook/dp/B00770HKYU
- The Road Less Stupid - https://www.amazon.com.au/Road-Less-Stupid-Advice-Chairman-ebook/dp/B077NXPL4L
- The 1 Page Marketing Plan by Allan Dib - Successwise - https://successwise.com/
[LIVE] Weird Growth #21 - Push for purpose - Nick Hudson & Elizabeth Knight
We hosted our subscribers for a live episode at terraceloft studio in East Perth with two amazing founders Nick Hudson and Elizabeth Knight. Listen to these two founders share the ups and downs of startup life and how showing up and having a purpose driven venture has been the key to their success. Purposeful helps young people find direction in their lives after school. Elizabeth wants to help people graduates find confidence in their careers in a complex world. She's now participating in Plus Eight's Accelerator program to grow and get The Lost Button to market. Check out The Lost Button in the show notes.
Nick founded mental health charity event The Push-Up Challenge after a life changing experience and his own challenges with mental health. Here more about what drives him and all the great work his team has done in the mental health space. The Push-Up Challenge raised around $9 million this year. To date over 241 million push ups have been done as part of the event.
Weird Growth #20 - The fellowship of $125 million in rings - KC Holiday, Qalo, Solving Hollow, BetterLabs
KC Co-Founder of Qalo, built a new category of product from scratch, silicone wedding rings. What started as a way to wear a wedding ring at the gym quickly turned into an online business generating millions in revenue which was up to $125million when he sold it. The tipping point? KC knew he was onto something when a Qalo ring ended up on an NFL player’s finger on a TV showed which aired for millions across the US. Although KC didn’t get results from that initially, what followed was just as amazing. Listen in to hear how you can access great resources, education, knowledge and experience from KC himself. What he is all about, setting realistic expectations, responding to your community and challenging what you think it means to go online.
In this episode he gives some great advice on how to build an online store that thrives. Here are the main links from the episode.
- Qalo - https://qalo.com
- Solving hollow – https://www.solvinghollow.com
- Powerbalance – https://www.powerbalance.com
- Hard knocks - https://www.hbo.com/hard-knocks
- BetterLabs - https://www.betterlabsventures.com.au
- RAC - https://rac.com.au
- Skydio 2 Drone - https://www.skydio.com/skydio-2
- More on KC’s story - https://www.starterstory.com/stories/qalo
Weird Growth #19 - Find the bossy bitch within - Elsa Mitchell
A girl from the country, Elsa is a strong and successful business mentor. Elsa Mitchell runs digital marketing workshops for business owners in person (she's old-school). She enjoys connecting with people and being her own bossy bitch. Great episode if you are just starting out in digital and looking to grow/get your content to the next level.
Her first business was a hair salon which she started during the GFC, grew to solid client base, and sold it. Now, she mentors other business owners, especially in digital marketing, while also raising her family with her husband. You’ll often find them with their blended tribe of 4 kids refining their surf skills at Trigg Beach. Her 2 rules for business - 1) Be consistent and 2) Be a good human. Listen in to her from someone who has been through all the ups and downs of an entrepreneur and just some good of fashion honest advice with no sugar coating. *Language warning*
- Elsa's website - https://elsamitchell.com.au/
- The Bossy Bitch Facebook Group - https://www.facebook.com/groups/bossyb
- Komo Digital - https://www.komo.digital/
- Fiverr - https://www.fiverr.com/
- Instagram Reels - https://about.instagram.com/blog/announcements/introducing-instagram-reels-announcement
- Zencastr - https://zencastr.com/
- Omnystudio - https://omnystudio.com/learn
Weird Growth #18 - Money talks: Growing Fintechs, investing and helping the next generation - Dan Jovevski from WeMoney
Dan has been on both sides of the investment table for startups. Now he is leading one of Australia's fastest growing Fintechs, WeMoney. WeMoney helps Young Australians take control of their finances giving them a 360 view of their money.
Through education and a brilliant mobile app, WeMoney is on track to be a success. How did they get to this point? Listen and you'll find out along with some great growth marketing, money and startup tips.
- WeMoney - https://www.wemoney.com.au/
- WeMoney's Podcast, We talk cents - https://wemoney-wetalkcents.simplecast.com/
- Dan's Headphones (Sony XM4s) - https://www.sony.com.au/electronics/headband-headphones/wh-1000xm4
- WeMoney is hiring, reach out to Dan - https://www.linkedin.com/in/danieljovevski/
Great podcast to learn from founders
This podcast has given me loads of valuable tips for starting my own new business.
There’s heaps of success stories, but also failures, and most interesting to me is learning how founders go from identifying a problem, creating an idea - then turning that idea into a business people love.