For many of us, it’s hard to think of almost any videogame without our minds conjuring up the music that accompanied it. Over the decades they’ve evolved from simplistic monaural beeps and bloops to full orchestral scores recorded in 7.1 surround, but from their earliest days right up to today, soundtracks have played an integral part of our memories of the games we played, and the times in our lives when we were playing them.
What we aim to bring you with Sound of Play is a diverse sample of our favourites pieces from the many air-punching, spine-tingling, tear-jerking and grin-inducing videogame soundtracks we’ve heard over the years.
Sound of Play: 300 – the videogame music podcast
Joining Leon Cox in Sound of Play 300 are Jay Taylor and Ryan Hamann
Music featured in Sound of Play 300:
1. Sugaan Essena by The Hu - Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order, 2019
2. Tri Force Heroes Title Theme by Ryo Nagamatsu - The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes, 2015
3. Sunshine Airport by Atsuko Asahi - Mario Kart 8, 2014
4. Dragov’s Promise by Ola Strandh/Simon Koudriavtsev - Tom Clancy’s The Division 2: Warlords of New York, 2020
5. Apotos - Day by Fumie Kumatani - Sonic Unleashed, 2008
6. The Tail of Beta Lyrae - Philip Price, 1983
7. Forgotten Song by Ilan Eshkeri/Shigeru Umebayashi - Ghost of Tsushima, 2020
8. Honeybee by Steam Powered Giraffe - SteamWorld Heist, 2015
9. Brave Hunters by Satoshi Hori - Monster Hunter Rise, 2021
Edited by Jay Taylor
Sound of Play: 299 – the videogame music podcast
Leon Cox is your host for this week's Sound of Play podcast
Tracks featured in this Sound of Play podcast:
1. Atsui Kodou by Setsuo Yamamoto, vocal by Isao Bito - Rival Schools: United by Fate, 1998
2. Anxious Heart by Nobuo Uematsu - Final Fantasy VII, 1997
3. Mario’s Cement Factory by Hirokazu Tanaka Game & Watch Gallery 4, 2002
4. The Veil of Night by Tomohito Nishiura - Professor Layton And The Curious Village, 2007
5. Welcome To Heaven by Damjan Mravunac - The Talos Principle, 2014
6. Revenge Is A Dish Best Eaten by Mario Batkovic/Woody Jackson - Red Dead Redemption II, 2018
7. Noosphere by Guillaume David - Warhammer 40,000: Mechanicus, 2018
8. Beach Buds (Short Hike) by Mark Sparling - A Short Hike, 2019
9. Slayer Gates by Mick Gordon - DOOM Eternal, 2020
Sound of Play 299 edited by Jay Taylor
Sound of Play: 298 – the videogame music podcast
For this week’s Sound of Play podcast Ryan Hamann is joined by Sean Bell of The Computer Game Show.
Tracks featured in this Sound of Play:
1. You're Hired by Dabu - Winding Worlds, 2020
2. One Who Craves Souls by Bill Hemstapat - Demon's Souls (2020), 2020
3. Welcome by Barry 'Epoch' Topping - Paradise Killer, 2020
4. Shroudbroken by Robin Beanland - Sea of Thieves, 2019
5. Becalmed by Robin Beanland - Sea of Thieves, 2019
6. VS. Souther by Haruyoshi Tomita - Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise, 2018
7. Overlooking Hyrule - Prelude to Calamity by Kumi Tanioka, Reo Uratani, Ryotaro Yagi, & Haruki Yamada - Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity, 2020
8. Frogphone by Archie Pelago - Off-Peak, 2015
9. Isometric Air by Brian Aspey - Cyberpunk 2077, 2020
Sound of Play 298 was edited by Ryan Hamann
Sound of Play: 297 – the videogame music podcast
For this week's Sound of Play podcast Leon Cox is joined by fellow Cane and Rinse (and Video Wizards) stalwart, Michiel Kroder.
Tracks featured in this Sound of Play:
1. Zone 2 Hellfire Hamlet Stage 2 by Masato Kouda/Kento Hasegawa/Ryuta Hida, original by Tamayo Kawamoto - Ghosts ’n Goblins Resurrection, 2021
2. Battle 06 by Akira Senju - Project Triangle Strategy, 2021
3. Expendable Blockade DX (Stage 3) by Ed Tremblay - [...], 2021
4. Days of Sunshine (Tokugawa Ieyasu's Theme) by Yoko Kanno - Nobunaga’s Ambition: Haouden, 1992
5. The Monster’s Lair by Shinichi Sakamoto - Wonder Boy III: The Dragon’s Trap, 1989
6. A Scattered Moment by Hidenori Shoji - Yakuza Kiwami 2, 2017
7. Tail Cave (Level 1 Dungeon) by Ryo Nagamatsu, original by Kazumi Totaka/Minako Hamano/Kozue Ishikawa - The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening, 2019
8. Sanctuary of Mana Theme (Decision Bell) by Hiroki Kikuta - Trials of Mana, 2020
9. Precious Heart (Sakura Theme) by Shinji Hosoe - Street Fighter EX Plus Alpha, 1997
Sound of Play 297 edited by Jay Taylor
Sound of Play: 296 – the videogame music podcast
Ryan shares the next year in game history medley, featuring music from 146 games from the year 2007.
Sound of Play 296 was edited by Ryan Hamann.
Sound of Play: 295 – the videogame music podcast
This week, Leon Cox goes it alone with an all community request Sound of Play.
Every Wednesday in Sound of Play, we bring you some of our, and your, favourite pieces from the many videogame soundtracks we’ve enjoyed over the decades.
Tracks featured in Sound of Play 295:1. Overworld Theme by Nobuo Uematsu - Final Fantasy, 19872. Dire, Dire Docks by Koji Kondo - Super Mario 64, 19963. Last Decisive Battle - Big Tenrai by Noriyuki Asakura - Tenchu: Wrath of Heaven, 20034. Ocean World: Abyss Suspense by Christophe Héral/Billy Martin - Rayman Origins, 20115. Main Menu by Gustavo Santolalla - The Last of Us, 20136. The Last Array by Marty O'Donnell/Michael Salvatori/C. Paul Johnson - Destiny, 20147. V Has Come To by Ludvig Forssell - Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, 20158. Bubble by Hidenori Shoji and all SEGA Sound team - Ry? ga Gotoku Zero: Chikai No Basho, 20159. Velen - Spitfire Bluff (Day / Night) by Martin Przyby?owicz - The Witcher III: Wild Hunt, 2015Sound of Play 295 edited by Jay Taylor
Great little podcast
Some really good songs on here and unusual selections that mostly work
Host chat a bit too much but 9 songs a cast
Songs are listed in the description or a link
Sound of play
I would definitely suggest sound of play, I love the music and 24/7 I’m just listening to it!😄😄😄😍😍😍
As good as it gets
If its video game music podcasts you are after you can't get any better than Sound of Play. Different guests, total mixed bag of music and great hosts.
Definitely subscribe. You won't regret it.