Podcast by Amy Medling
Podcast by Amy Medling
128 - Master Your PCOS Genetics
There is, without a doubt, a genetic component of Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS). But did you know that the latest research says there is something we can do about it? The field of epigenetics is growing fast, and we are learning to control how genetics behave and even how things are transmitted from generation to generation. Listen in (or read the transcript) as Dr. Fiona McCulloch and I discuss:
- What is epigenetics?
- Tips for changing how your genes are expressed
- The profound impact of a father’s genetics & health on a child's health
- Why the 1 year before trying to conceive is a critical time
- Importance of sleep and circadian rhythm, especially for women with PCOS
How late shift work impacts PCOS
127 - PCOS Meal Planning with a Pro
I can't stress enough that the more that you plan, the more that you get yourself prepared and organized, the more likely you are to succeed with your PCOS-friendly diet. You might initially feel uncomfortable because you're just not used to being in the kitchen and preparing your food from scratch. But it's going to make such a huge difference in the way that you feel and your PCOS symptoms, that you will begin to love it. And the best way to do that is to just get into the kitchen and start doing it!
In this podcast, I offer advice about meal planning including:
- How to avoid being overwhelmed by the process
- Where I get recipes and inspiration
- My own planning process & tricks
- Why I only plan dinners (& snacks)
- How weeknight traditions take a lot of the planning out of meal planning
- “Game changer” tips
126 - Find Happiness for Healing and, Well, Happiness
Many women with PCOS put happiness on hold. “I will be happy when I lose the weight,” “when I have a baby,” “when I get a new job,” etc. The truth is, we cannot wait. Happiness has a metabolic effect. Our health literally depends upon choosing happiness now. Margie Bissinger is an expert in this area and explains how we can take steps every day to enhance our happiness.
125 - CBD for PCOS- Is It Right for You?
Is CBD effective for PCOS? Many believe that CBD can help with symptoms such as chronic pelvic pain, anxiety, inflammation, and some autoimmune issues. I asked Dr. Mary Clifton, a respected expert in CBD, cannabis, and medical marijuana for her thoughts. If you’ve considered CBD, but are having a hard time finding reliable information, you are not alone.
Listen in as we discuss:
- How long to try it before deciding if it works for you
- Best modes of delivery
- How to find a good product
- Difference between CBD and Marijuana
- Will it show up on a drug test?
124 - End Your Emotional Eating
Let’s talk about emotional eating. You've tried everything to get your cravings under control. You manage your blood sugar. You take supplements like berberine and Ovasitol. You are eating a clean, PCOS-friendly diet, and you're still struggling with binge eating or compulsive overeating. If you're really struggling with sugar cravings and having a hard time getting your eating under control, listen as I talk with Tricia Nelson, author of the book Heal Your Hunger. She has fantastic insight about the causes of emotional eating and offers practical strategies for getting it under control.
123 - Low-Dose Immunotherapy for PCOS
Gut health is central to many of our body’s critical functions such as hormone regulation and managing the immune system, as well as digestive and neurological systems. Dr. Meaghan Kirschling has had tremendous success in her practice using low-dose immunotherapy for treatment of certain symptoms of PCOS and much more. Listen in (or read the transcript) as we discuss:
- The connection between PCOS and autoimmune issues (such as Hashimoto’s)
- How immunotherapy works
- The differences between Low-Dose Immunotherapy (LDI), Low-Dose Allergen (LDA), & Low-Dose Naltrexone
- The connection between PCOS, endometriosis, yeast, and candida
- Gut Health and sugar cravings