The Road to Open Science Podcast is your guide on everything Open at Utrecht University and beyond. In our monthly podcast we discuss the latest developments in the fields of open acces, open data/software, public engagement and recognition and rewards.
R2OS - What motivates academics and is #leavingacademia really happening?
Caspar and Sicco talk academic careers and what motivates you to stay in academics with Alexandra Vennekens from the Rathenau Institute. Is #LeavingAcademia really happening and what do academics actually value in their own work? And does the university think about that the same way?
Some background reading:
- https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-022-01512-6 Has the great resignation wave hit academia? (Nature)
- https://www.mareonline.nl/opinie/waarom-ik-mijn-verloving-met-de-universiteit-verbreek/ - Suze Zijlstra (Mare)
- https://twitter.com/sanli/status/1534788435684347904?s=20&t=EBCxZkQpkrPB1LPY0Wcb3g - Young Academy Research (Tweet Sanli)
- https://decorrespondent.nl/13674/aan-de-universiteit-mag-een-onderzoeker-geen-mens-meer-zijn/41342173387218-787c5801 - Correspondent Article by Ilse Jozepha Lazaroms
And for the Newsynews:
- On the new Regieorgaan Open Science: https://www.nwo.nl/en/news/hans-de-jonge-quartermaster-director-new-open-science-regieorgaan
- On the new White House Open Access policy:https://www.whitehouse.gov/ostp/news-updates/2022/08/25/ostp-issues-guidance-to-make-federally-funded-research-freely-available-without-delay/
- National Science Communication Day: https://www.nationalewetenschapscommunicatiedag.nl/
R2OS - What does Elsevier know about you, and how? with Eiko Fried and Robin Kok
First, thanks to the great Bianca Kramer we now have a transcript! You can find it here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1zhpOk-yw8G-xLRCXDNad1zwUaxAe2Wgev77bwPUl5Y8/edit#heading=h.xvuiepf8k4aj
From the newsynews:
- HELIOS (Higher Education Leadership initiative on Open Scholarship): https://www.heliosopen.org/news/22/3/22
- Discussion series "Publishing in transition". In this edition, researchers will discuss the challenges of a transition to fully open access https://www.uu.nl/en/news/how-do-you-prepare-your-academic-journal-for-an-open-science-future
- Session ‘Wetenschappers in de publieke arena’ announcement - https://intranet.uu.nl/agenda/wetenschappers-in-de-publieke-arena-collegialiteit
- Royal Academy of Science, council of social sciences: ‘Wetenschap met de ramen wijd open’ publication, 10 lessons: https://www.knaw.nl/publicaties/wetenschap-met-de-ramen-wijd-open
- Open Science festival is coming, although the deadline for workshop proposals has closed, you can still register at https://opensciencefestival.nl/
- NRC Opinion piece by Juliette Schaafsma en Martijn van der Meer (Tilburg): https://www.nrc.nl/nieuws/2022/05/08/verdienmodel-van-grote-uitgevers-bedreigt-onbetaalbare-academische-vrijheid-a4123727
From the interview:
- Robin and Eiko's blog: https://eiko-fried.com/welcome-to-hotel-elsevier-you-can-check-out-any-time-you-like-not/utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing
- Elsevier rebuttal in nrc (via Tweet): https://twitter.com/vandermeer_rm/status/1526636197233233920?s=20&t=oCxmjjz802BqIpCCWvretA
- Article on research infrastructure by Bjorn Brembs et al. https://zenodo.org/record/5526635
- Zotero: https://www.zotero.org/
- How long would it take to buy Elsevier (blog) https://svpow.com/2018/08/15/__trashed/
R2OS - Utrecht University Open Science Platform
Sicco and Sanli talk to the new chair of the Utrecht University open science platform about her vision on promoting good scientific practices, collegiality, and the implementation of the university policy on recognition and rewards based on the TRIPLE criteria.
mentioned in this episode:
- Polution map of Utrecht measured by UU professors on their outreach trip https://knowyourair.net/prof/
- Dies Natalis 386 https://www.uu.nl/nieuws/dies-natalis-2022-curious-collaborations
- Open Science Community Utrecht looking for new ambassadors https://openscience-utrecht.com
- Call for open science proposals https://www.uu.nl/onderzoek/open-science/open-science-fund
R2OS - Open Science Monitor with Ruth van Veelen and Judith de Haan
This episode we talk 'Team Science' and how to really 'Open Up' your science with Ruth van Veelen and Judith de Haan. Together with colleagues they worked on the Utrecht University Open Science Monitor of 2020.
In this episode we mentioned:
> Sicco's thread on Royal Academy (KNAW) report on recognition and rewards https://twitter.com/SiccodeKnecht/status/1489195279677071360?s=20&t=CUhsBMlHK7YWmUiT4kODqg
> Sanli's thread on the Strategic Evaluation Protocol (SEP) https://twitter.com/sanli/status/1451839522053009410?s=20&t=ZJF87fLdRgvii5JAbRg0cQ
> Link to the SEP https://www.universiteitenvannederland.nl/files/documenten/Domeinen/Onderzoek/SEP_2021-2027.pdf
> More info on the Rewards and Recognition3 leadership course! https://www.uu.nl/nieuws/een-gesprek-met-stans-de-haas-de-nieuwe-trekker-van-erkennen-en-waarderen
> Paris call on Research Assessment https://osec2022.eu/paris-call/
> Preprints trustworthyness in Economist https://www.economist.com/science-and-technology/preprints-on-the-coronavirus-have-been-impressively-reliable/21807492 > OA article in Correspondent https://decorrespondent.nl/13091/iedereen-betaalt-mee-aan-wetenschappelijk-onderzoek-waarom-is-het-dan-niet-voor-iedereen-beschikbaar/814916635104-62278a3a
R2OS - "Faces of Open Science" with Susanna Bloem and Martijn van der Meer
“Who are these Open Science people, anyway?” In this special installment Felix and Sicco interview Susanna Bloem and Martijn van der Meer on their project called ‘Faces of Open Science’. These two young researchers in the field of the history and philosophy of science went out to find oral histories – as it happens – for which they spoke to a myriad of Open Science minded colleagues at Utrecht University. From that they distilled a number of typical persona’s, all with their own unique motivations and ideals drawing them into the movement. We find out that Open Science isn’t a monolith and why we need more internal debates on values.
R2OS - A closer look at Open Hardware with Jose Urra Llanusa and Santosh Ilamparuthi
We talk to Jose Urra Llanusa and Santosh Ilamparuthi, founders of the open hardware community at Delft Technical University, on promises and pitfalls of open hardware, and how to scale up good quality devices.
+ [Guide to preprints](https://zenodo.org/record/5600535)
+ [Book launch "Open Science, the Very Idea"](https://www.uu.nl/nieuws/onbeschaamd-activistisch-een-nieuw-boek-over-open-science)
+ [NWO Open Science fund](https://www.nwo.nl/onderzoeksprogrammas/open-science/open-science-fund)
+ [OSCU symposium, faculty of Science](https://osf.io/rfzy6/)