Five-time winner of Best Education Podcast in the Podcast Awards. Grammar Girl provides short, friendly tips to improve your writing and feed your love of the English language. Whether English is your first language or your second language, these grammar, punctuation, style, and business tips will make you a better and more successful writer. Grammar Girl is a Quick and Dirty Tips podcast.
Mood & Atmosphere in Fiction. An Interview with Joshua Essoe
894. Whether you're getting ready for National Novel Writing Month or just want to watch movies or read novels with more insight, this interview with fiction editor Joshua Essoe will help you about mood and atmosphere in ways you probably haven't considered before.
Split Infinitives. I Can't Even. Macken.
893. You may be surprised by the origin of the split infinitive "rule" and by the times they are OK...or even necessary! Also, we look at slang phrases that drop whole grammatical elements and how they reinforce that in-group/out-group feeling of slang.
Why Some People Say 'Might Could.' The Spanish Influence on English. Mickle Story.
892. We recently got a question about why people use a type of double-verb construction, such as "We might could go to the store." We have the answer! Plus, in honor of the upcoming National Hispanic Heritage Month, we look at the influence Spanish has had on English. You probably know more Spanish words than you realize!
Accent Hallucination. False Ranges. Thanks, Chris.
891. If you're like me, the first segment about accent hallucination will blow your mind. And then after we recover, we'll learn how to avoid false ranges.
'Skrrt,' 'Bottle Episode,' 'Skeuomorphs' and more. An Interview with John Kelly of Dictionary.com.
890. John Kelly, senior director of editorial at Dictionary.com, talks with Mignon about a bunch of fun new words and about how words get added to the dictionary in general.
What's up with Splooting? Capitalizing Titles. Momilltellya.
889. Splooting squirrels have taken the internet by storm. We look at where this fun word comes from and how far back it goes. Plus, I help you decide which title capitalization rules to follow.
Grammar girl has been one of my greatest tool for learning!
Listening in my bathroom in our house located in the middle of nowhere Central Philippines 😊
Worth subscribing! 😊