A personal transformation podcast aimed mainly at GenX’rs who are burned out from the revved-up mindset that has driven them to where they are—both professionally and personally—and are searching for more fulfilling, authentic and meaningful ways to move forward. The show's format is set up as lively conversations, storytelling and sharing of advice between host, Jeff Smith and his various guests—all of whom have had a unique and distinct experience of metaphorically shifting from "vrooming" to "veering" in how they've approached certain aspects of their lives.
Caitlin Pyle – Work Anywhere (BOV)
Caitlin Pyle is a millennial entrepreneur who works entirely online. She has built a seven-figure blog and business that started in one of the tiniest niches on Earth: proofreading. Based in Orlando, Florida, she and her husband Ben are currently living in Uruguay... just because they can.
Caitlin Pyle (BOV) Vroom Veer Stories
* Big Nerd in High School in Languages (German) and Physics, smart girl group
* Went to College & traveled around Europe for fun, growth, and learning
* Got into proof reading for court reporters while working as a receptionist at a legal support office
* Put in early notice to quit her job, planned to attend Personal Trainer School
* Fired ugly:told not to breed, accused of theft, told she had a big butt
* Worked as a personal trainer for 3 years and continued proof reading on the side
* After some boldness and weirdness, starts making great money proof reading
* With the support of her husband, created an online course to teach proof reading
Caitlin Pyle BOV Connections
From Fired to Freedom - The whole story from Caitlin's Blog
Nina Sodin – Roaming Pencil (BOV)
Nina Sodin stares at Google Maps until she finds a place she wants to visit. She looks for a volunteering opportunity, a house sit, or a nice host. Then she hitchhikes there, meets new people (and new animals), talk to them, and makes cartoons about the them. Repeat.
I blog about my nomadic life on roamingpencil.com
Nina Sodin Vroom Veer Stories
* Born in Ukraine and moved around quite a bit; moved to Israel at age 8
* Grew up in Israel; in High School got into soap operas from Argentina; learned some Spanish
* Served her mandatory service in the Army; switch jobs to fix electronics instead of secretary work
* Went to college for a while; mostly learned about animation; liked the video editing, writing, drawing
* Decided she wanted to travel full time and write/blog/draw about her adventures
* She mostly hitchhikes as a way to meet people and make friends and have adventures
* Finds places to stay mostly for free by house sitting and coach surfing
Nina Sodin Connections
Vin Clancy – Ace the Game; Growth Hacks, getting off Welfare; Burnout (BOV)
Vin Clancy is an infamous growth hacker that went from being on social welfare in the UK to winning best speaker at SXSW V2V for his growth hacking talk, finishing a 100-date world tour, and earning six figures on his debut growth hacking book. Vin created one of the biggest marketing communities on Facebook, and moved to L.A., where he teaches companies how to rapidly grow their audiences and businesses. Vin is on a mission to speak truth to the many lies some internet marketers tell. He’s ready to debunk myths and share growth hacks for any industry related to your audience.
Vin Clancy Vroom Veer Stories
* What is a growth hack? How to companies grow some big without traditional advertising? Example: Lyft drivers give away $20 off your first ride...that's a growth hack
* How did you earn 6 figures on a book with a book publisher? With a viral queue! You drive traffic to a landing page and give them freebies for sharing on social; they were among the first folks to try this hack; the also did a thunderclap; got 100 people to post on Facebook at the same time
* Was both slammed by Wired and praised by Vice for his Tribute to Harambe. He raised 5K on Kickstarter to hold the "tribute" event which was poking fun at the viral meme instead of the tragic event.
* One night he met a girl and was late into work the next day; he was fired (sacked); he decided not to get another job; lived in a broken down house with water dripping from the roof; he had a roommate (flat mate) who get high and steal his food
* 2011 Lewisham riots'; Lived through looters banging on the doors
* Got the startup bug after watching The Social Network; met a 17 year old kid who he partnered with to start a business; read a ton of books on starting a business
* Guardianship scheme; you look after a place to protect it from squatters moving in; the mafia showed up and asked him to squat for pay instead of cheap rent; he didn't take that deal
* Was briefly homeless; found another place through the Guardianship scheme for very cheap rent but the place was cold and damp and the heating broke
* Had to buy an electric heater; which eats electricity; the flat had a coin-op meter for the electricity
* Had a dream and woke up and registered planetivy.com a global news site where the writers were the stats not musicians; offered university student writers the opportunity to write on their site
* Within 10 months the site had over a million views; they can a public talk and someone that had just left Facebook approached them about getting investors; shortly there after they were funded with a quarter of a million dollars and Vin got off Welfare
* The last day of his job; Justin Bieber was two hours late to the stage and he had to deal with the ticket holder complaints
* He started another spin off site that grew rapidly called ScreenRobot.com
* Accepted into the prestigious "Techstars" accelerator in 2014; and then launched a growth-hacking agency to help companies hack growth
* His friend had a no-parents allowed club house with a pool table, DJ Decks and they managed to find some beer to enjoy England defeat Germany 5-1
* Feels now like he did sign a deal with the devil; yes he has enjoyed success and some wealth but he now realizes he is burning himself out
Vin Clancy Connections
Travis Jennings – My Debt Reduction Blueprint (BOV)
Travis Jennings spent almost a decade educating the wealthy on better techniques and strategies to improve their personal finance, investments, and taxes. Over time, he learned that one of the key differences between those with wealth and those without, is the type of financial education they receive. The current system guides the brightest advisors to the wealthy...leaving the rest of us to own devices. Without a trained advisor to guide you through the process of debt elimination and then on to wealth creation, most of us live in financial peril with no real light at the end of the tunnel. Travis and his team created an easy to follow educational and implementation series that teaches you how to get completely out of debt, including your mortgage, without affecting your lifestyle or spending habits.
Travis Jennings Vroom/Veer Stories
* Became at father at age 17, started learning responsibility
* Worked at State Farm to pay the bills; attended college part time
* Joined the Air Force; thought maybe he would be a contractor
* Switched to part-time Air Force, and started a custom home building business
* A home client was a financial advisor, he seemed to have a nice life
* Found his calling in the world of finance; studied macro economics
* Worked as a financial advisor for old wealthy clients;
* Created a system to help the rest of us eliminate debt and create wealth.
Travis Jennings Links
Eric Zimmer 3 – Spiritual Habits
Eric Zimmer 3 is a behavior coach, podcast host, and author. He is endlessly inspired by the quest for a greater understanding of how our minds work and how to intentionally create the lives we want to live.
At the age of 24, Eric was homeless, addicted to heroin and facing long jail sentences. In the years since he has found a way to recover from addiction and build a life worth living for himself.
Eric works as a behavior coach and has done so for the past 20 years. He has coached hundreds of people from around the world on how to make significant life changes and create habits that serve them well in achieving the goals they’ve set for themselves.
In addition to his work as a behavior coach, he currently hosts the award-winning podcast, The One You Feed, based on an old parable about two wolves at battle within us. With over 300 episodes and over 13 million downloads, the show features conversations with experts across many fields of study about how to create a life that has less suffering and more fulfillment and meaning.
Guests on the show include scientists, authors, researchers, teachers, thought leaders, spiritual gurus, and public figures and all offer practical, actionable wisdom that listeners can readily apply to their daily lives in order to act their way into a better experience of living.
His story and his work have been featured in the media including TedX, Mind Body Green, Elephant Journal, the BBC and Brain Pickings.
Eric Zimmer 3 Vroom Vroom Veer Stories
* Principles that make it easy to build any habit; includes start small and linking triggers to events that already happen daily; when I get out of bed, I take a walk* What are the two surprising elements that drive all spiritual transformation? 1) Intention: What do you want to happen? What do you want to do? 2) Attention: Where is your attention? Are you attending to the person or the TV show?* What is resistance? Pain * resistance = suffering. I'm flying to Japan that is a 6 level of pain. My resistance is screaming in my head; I just want to be in bed now but I have more hours of traveling on the ground in front of me. * You can reduce the pain score by getting a hotel after the airport; you can also accept that traveling is hard and reduce your resistance by telling yourself that you are ok...tired but ok.* Permanent: nothing lasts forever. Personal: Most pain/resistance is not personal; it just is part of being human; Perfect --nothing is perfect; humans are flawed and messy and that's ok * The Middle path says theirs is a way between extremes; it's not always the center line; but there is a way to think be in between all and nothing.* Portal 2 is a great example of the middle way...you play with a partner and you need each other to 1) solve the puzzle 2) execute the solution; Jeff died fast and often and learned by doing; his partner analyzed the puzzle without killing his robot--two extremes created the middle way.
Spiritual Habits Program
Learn the no.1 daily spiritual habit to help you feel more peace in your life…
Donna Bond – Live like You are Writing the Story
Donna Bond “woke up” at the age of 45...she was at the top of her game. On the outside, it all looked perfect. She was working as a marketing executive, making great money, living in a beautiful home and was married to an incredible guy.
On the inside, she was exhausted, depressed, unhappy and unfulfilled. All leading to a decision which she now understands as divine intervention – enrolling in the University of Santa Monica and simultaneously beginning her journey of Personal Transformation
Everything changed from the inside out. Today, she is a Soul-Centered catalyst for personal transformation. She believes when we do the work individually to trust our higher self and love our human self, the ripple effect changes the world.
Donna holds a master’s degree in Spiritual Psychology with an emphasis on Consciousness, Health and Healing. She invites everyone to reclaim their authentic power with her illuminating memoir of personal transformation through the lens of Spiritual Psychology.
Donna Bond Vroom Vroom Veer Stories
* Grew up in Connecticut with parents who were Italian immigrants who valued college and a good job; she went to college and got a corporate marketing job * At age 22, Donna's father was diagnosed with lung cancer; he died 3 months later; Donna attended his death and shared chocolate cream cake with her dad before he went into a coma* Didn't really take time to grieve; woke up at age 45 in her corporate job; feeling sick, exhausted and spiritually disconnected and unfulfilled* Battled with frozen shoulder and was blaming everyone outside of herself for not fixing her; later learned to take responsibility for her own health journey* Had a prophetic dream; saw herself in the mirror with a giant fish hook in her breast; later when she was being treated for breast cancer her doctor told her that the tool used for the treatment was shaped like a fishhook* Realized at age 17 that she was writing her own story; she saw a picture of a dog breed called sharpe (the one with all the wrinkles); in the 80's there was no internet but she made a vision board; a sharpe showed up* Went to a retreat at the Chopra center and learned how to mediate; now she mediates like her life depends on it