Denise Shull is Founder and CEO of The ReThink Group (see https://therethinkgroup.net/). She developed the Shull method, which relies on the latest brain research on how humans perceive, judge and decide. Understanding this on a practical level routinely allows The ReThink Group to resolve the mysterious mental challenges of slumps, burnout, motivation and resilience. Denise’s distinctive approach produces results that are unmatched in the performance and risk-taking fields.
We start off jumping into the conversation. Denise learned from modern psychoanalysts. This conversation begins talking about anger, but it is more about managing emotions. Managing emotions is extremely important in life and investing. Yet, it is underdiscussed on many investment podcasts. Hence this interview.
While this a bit different, we think this podcast could meaningfully improve your results if you take it seriously.
We hope you enjoy the discussion.
Detailed show notes below the Stream by Mosiac sponsor copy and thank yous.
Please leave us a rating in your favorite podcast player!
This episode is brought to you by Stream by Mosaic, a product that is integral to any fundamental research process. Stream has developed an extensive library of expert interviews that cover a variety of industries. StreamRG.com features over 300 expert interviews. 70% of Stream's experts are found exclusively on StreamRG.com. Visit StreamRG.com and use promo code BREW for a 14 day trial.
Album art photo taken by Mike Ando. Please see https://www.mikeando.com/
Thank you to @mathewpassy (on Twitter) for the show production.
Detailed Show Notes
- The power of anger and why “positivity” can actually be toxic
– Why understanding who you are can help get the outcomes you are striving for
– Children’s tendency to blame themselves in order to protect themselves. This applies because some of us never lose this and the result can be self destructive.
– We make decisions based on emotions, not data. But really, it’s the emotions about the emotions we think we will feel.
– Perception is not always reality and how to deal with that.
– How emotions can create alternative realities in your memory
– Intuition vs Impulse
– The benefits of feeling what is going on within your body and how that can make you money
– The skill of emotion differentiation and how it can help you invest
– How positivity can be toxic
– The superpower of understanding emotions, where they come from, and what they might be doing to your ability to be present today
– Denise’s background
– Conviction is an emotion
– What FOMO is actually about.
– The market doesn’t care about your feelings