“Don’t be THAT Guy; Be Rich Towards God”
1) That guy who thinks material poverty is his greatest problem, 13-15
2) That guy who thinks maintaining wealth is his greatest challenge, 16-18
3) That guy who thinks many possessions are his greatest comfort, 19-21
1. Why is the timing of that guy in v.13 just as bad as his actual question? What has Jesus been talking about in Lk 12:1-12, the verse immediately before? Do you think that guy in v.13 understood and applied that previous sermon? Why or why not?
2. What are some things that the guy in vv. 16-18 didn’t say that he could have said? What might you expect that guy to say after he received a great deal of wealth? See Acts 20:35; 1 Timothy 5:8; James 1:27; 1 Timothy. 6:6-10, 17-19.
3. See the previous question and the references to 1 Timothy. Now read 2 Tim. 4:6-18, believed to be the final words of Scripture that Paul wrote. What did Paul have as his earthly life drew near? Money, possessions? Godliness, contentment, great gain? Should you be like that guy? See also 1 Corinthians 11:1.