Ashley Jordan Ferira, Ph.D., RDN: "I don't like to say EPA is for the heart and DHA is for the brain. EPA and DHA are pleiotropic, multitasking, awesome fats and they're both important to have together.*"
Ferira, mbg's Director of Scientific Affairs, joins mbg co-CEO, Jason Wachob, to discuss the new generation of fish oil supplements, plus:
- The "fishiest" myths about fish oil supplements (~15:56)
- The best ratio of EPA to DHA for optimal health* (~15:40)
- How to make sure your fish oil doesn't taste like fish (~26:33)
- How to tell if your omega-3 supplement has gone rancid (~27:23)
- How to know if your fish oil is working (~37:37)
Referenced in the episode:
- Research showing 90% of Americans are falling short on omega-3 intake.
- The FDA's new qualified health claims for EPA and DHA for coronary heart disease.*
- A study in the journal Lipids showing Americans consume 86 mg of EPA + DHA per day.
- Our 2022 Wellness Trend featuring new school vitamins.
- mbg Podcast episode #355, with Ferira on multivitamins.
Don't forget to use the code OMEGAPOD to get 25% off your first order of our omega-3 potency+ supplement. It delivers 1.5 grams of 100% sustainably sourced marine omega-3s EPA + DHA in just 2 gelcaps, without the fishy aftertaste. To learn more, visit mindbodygreen.com/omega.
Enjoy this episode! Whether it's an article or podcast, we want to know what we can do to help here at mindbodygreen. Let us know at: email@example.com.
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
Learn more about your ad choices. Visit megaphone.fm/adchoices