Ashley Jordan Ferira, Ph.D., RDN: "I don't like to say EPA is for the heart and DHA is for the brain. EPA and DHA are pleiotropic, multitasking, awesome fats and they're both important to have together.*"
Ferira, mbg's Director of Scientific Affairs, joins mbg co-CEO, Jason Wachob, to discuss the new generation of fish oil supplements, plus:
- The "fishiest" myths about fish oil supplements (~15:56)
- The best ratio of EPA to DHA for optimal health* (~15:40)
- How to make sure your fish oil doesn't taste like fish (~26:33)
- How to tell if your omega-3 supplement has gone rancid (~27:23)
- How to know if your fish oil is working (~37:37)
Referenced in the episode:
- Research showing 90% of Americans are falling short on omega-3 intake.
- The FDA's new qualified health claims for EPA and DHA for coronary heart disease.*
- A study in the journal Lipids showing Americans consume 86 mg of EPA + DHA per day.
- Our 2022 Wellness Trend featuring new school vitamins.
- mbg Podcast episode #355, with Ferira on multivitamins.
Don't forget to use the code OMEGAPOD to get 25% off your first order of our omega-3 potency+ supplement. It delivers 1.5 grams of 100% sustainably sourced marine omega-3s EPA + DHA in just 2 gelcaps, without the fishy aftertaste. To learn more, visit mindbodygreen.com/omega.
Enjoy this episode! Whether it's an article or podcast, we want to know what we can do to help here at mindbodygreen. Let us know at: email@example.com.
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.