The FIR Podcast Network is the premiere podcast network for PR, organizational communications, marketing, and internal communications content. Each of the FIR Podcast Network's shows can be accessed individually. This is the EVERYTHING Feed, which gets you the latest episodes of every show in the network.
IPR 547: Favorite Tools for Comms Experts
On this week’s episode of Inside PR, Joe Thornley, Martin Waxman, and I discuss our favorite tools and what has changed—and what has stayed the same—since COVID hit.
Before you get into the tools, though, we have an important reminder: it’s not about the tools. It’s about whether or not you’ll actually use them. It’s easy for us to discuss our favorites, but if you don’t love something about the tool or your brain works differently, you’ll hate the tools we love.
It’s more important that you and your team love the tools—that’s what will create collaboration and adoption.
With that out of the way, take a listen to the tools we all love. The tools we use for meetings, for collaboration, for project management, for discussions, for videos and podcasting, and for good, old-fashioned documents.
Subscribe to the Inside PR podcast
We’re trying to be wherever you want us to be. So, you can subscribe to Inside PR on the most popular podcast apps.
* Subscribe to Inside PR on Apple Podcasts
* Subscribe to Inside PR on Spotify
* Subscribe to Inside PR on Google Play
It’s your turn
We’d love to hear what you think and if you have any subjects you’d like us to cover in upcoming episodes.
Leave us a comment on the blog.
Send us an email or an audio comment to firstname.lastname@example.org,
Connect with us on Twitter. We’re @inside_pr or connect directly with Gini Dietrich, Joseph Thornley, and Martin Waxman.
Please rate us on Apple Podcasts
We hope you like the podcast as much as we like making it for you. If you do, we have a favor to ask: If you like this podcast, please rate us on Apple Podcasts.
Thank you to the people behind Inside PR
Our producer is Jacob Waxman, a talented musician, producer, and recording engineer. Jacob produced the episode and is also the composer of our new theme music. Roger Dey is our announcer.
Favorite Tools for Comms Experts – IPR 547 by Joseph Thornley, Gini Dietrich, Martin Waxman is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Spin Sucks 152: Results of the Ragan Comms Benchmark Report
Ragan has released its annual Communications Benchmark Report, which analyzes the major trends in the profession during the last year.
During that time, comms pros have been called on to develop and distribute messages on new policies that affect internal and external stakeholders alike. Our role has become more essential as we helped keep organizations focused and moving forward. We’ve seen access to the C-suite increase throughout 2020, and we’ve forged important new alliances with peers in other departments, including HR, finance, legal, and workplace wellness.
I mentioned on this very podcast a couple of weeks ago that communicators have an unprecedented opportunity in front of us—and the Ragan report provides data to back up that point.
On this week’s Spin Sucks podcast episode, we’ll talk about that and:
The outlook and priorities for the next three years
Technology trends and product rankings
Trends in communications planning and measurement
Crisis communications policies
Trends in both internal and external communications channels
And lots more.
* Communications Benchmark Report
* Unprecedented Opportunity for Communicators
* Values-based Marketing
* Crisis Ready Organization
* Spin Sucks Community
#695-697: Lau, Batista-Mollohan, Travis w/ Mitchell Levy on Thought Leader Life Credibility
#695: Joe Lau and Mitchell Levy on Thought Leader Life Credibility Episode
Live a quality balanced life with meaningful relationships, less work, and more income. This episode features #ThoughtLeader and #Expert Joe Lau (https://www.linkedin.com/in/therealjoelau/), the founder of the Lau Global Enterprise.
Joe Lau is a full-time family man and part-time entrepreneur who has successfully run and sold companies for six to seven figures. A successful speaker and coach, he offers group and one-on-one training. He believes that you could still live the best life while maximizing your time with work and personal happiness. Hence, he is keenly committed to helping individuals live a full life balancing their career and personal life.
If you are an entrepreneur who lacks personal time but seeks to live life to the optimum, reach out to Joe Lau by visiting his site at https://www.therealjoelau.com/ or his LinkedIn page at https://www.linkedin.com/in/therealjoelau/.
Here are several AHA messages from this episode:
* Entrepreneurs without a personal life should reach out to Joe Lau. #BalancedLife https://www.linkedin.com/in/therealjoelau/
* Through my group coaching and one-on-one coaching, they will acquire this skill to become an extremely productive machine, so that they can work through anything in life! #BalancedLife https://www.linkedin.com/in/therealjoelau/
* Instead of not being able to spend time with my family, I now spend so much time with my family. My kids are actually sick of me. Today, I’m proud to tell people that I’m a full-time family man and part-time entrepreneur. #BalancedLife https://www.linkedin.com/in/therealjoelau/
* I get this one-on-one interaction because I have to devise a framework that will work for everyone, but every person’s a little bit different. So I want to get as much interaction with them as possible. #BalancedLife https://www.linkedin.com/in/therealjoelau/
* My biggest and proudest achievement is instead of working 50 to 60 hours a week, I’ve been working 25 hours a week for the past decade while putting up these businesses. #BalancedLife https://www.linkedin.com/in/therealjoelau/
To view the video interview click here.
#696: Brenda Batista – Mollohan and Mitchell Levy on Thought Leader Life Credibility Episode
Unlock your team’s capacity and hit goals by realizing their potential. This episode features #ThoughtLeader and #Expert Brenda Batista – Mollohan (https://www.linkedin.com/in/brenda-batista-mollohan/), who is the President of Inspiring Company Culture. She helps business leaders unlock their team’s potential and boost business results with a customized roadmap to success.
Brenda helps leaders unlock their teams’ potential with a simple, low cost process that requires an investment of just an hour a week. This proven process works for teams of all sizes in every industry. She can help you catapult your team from average to invincible team performance. As a result-driven, process improvement expert, it was painful to watch a business unit miss its targets because people were wasting time and energy on drama amongst team members. Sometimes it was outright hostility and intentional undermining of...
We'll Zoom You on Webex
The June installment of The Hobson & Holtz Report includes reports on these stories:
* Half of U.S. adults consider who publishes it as the key factor in assessing a story’s trustworthiness
* Colgate launches its sonic logo
* How “Zoom” became the “Kleenex” of video calling
* Business leaders turn to internal podcasts to stay connected with employees
* An e-waste sculpture targeted the G7 goes viral
* Hosts are a hot commodity as live streaming goes mainstream
Our FIR recording sessions are now being streamed live, because why not? We already stream it in order to capture a backup recording on YouTube; we’ve just been making these restricted streams. We have decided to make them public so you can watch and comment. Our next recording is Saturday, June 12 at noon ET. You’ll see our pre-recording conversation as well as seeing how the sausage gets made. Watch live here.
(You can watch the video of the making of this episode, though it’s clearly too late to share comments we can read right into the show.)
We are hosting an FIR Communicators Zoom Chat each Thursday during the stay-at-home period at 1 p.m. ET. For credentials needed to participate, contact Shel or Neville directly or request the credentials in our Facebook group or send an email to email@example.com.
Special thanks to Jay Moonah for the opening and closing music.
You can find the stories from which Shel’s FIR content is selected at Shel’s Link Blog. Neville’s link blog, Outbox, is available, as well.
Links from This Month’s Episode
* What makes a news story trustworthy? Americans point to the outlet that publishes it, sources cited
* More Americans now see the media’s influence growing compared with a year ago
* What digital news can learn from readers’ love of newspapers
* Colgate launches sonic brand
* The Sound of Colgate (YouTube video)
* How ‘Zoom’ became the ‘Kleenex’ of video calling
* ‘You can’t show empathy over email’: Business leaders turn to internal podcasts to stay connected with workforces
* ‘Mount Recyclemore’ sculpture of G7 leaders highlights electrical waste problems
* Introducing Mount Recyclemore
* Andrew Bloch’s “PR Stunt of the Day” tweet on Mount Recyclemore
* Tweets with the #MountReyclemore hashtag
* As brands take livestreaming more seriously, hosts become a hot commodity
Links from Dan York’s Report
#693-694: Vaughn, Wallace w/ Mitchell Levy on Thought Leader Life Credibility
#693: Kent Vaughn and Mitchell Levy on Thought Leader Life Credibility Episode
Getting organizations to avoid making bad choices to create better results. This episode features #ThoughtLeader and #Expert Kent Vaughn (https://www.linkedin.com/in/kent-vaughn-a75a795/), who is the CEO of Blaze Performance Solutions. He is also an Entrepreneur, Critically Acclaimed Author and a Keynote speaker. He helps individuals and organizations bridge the gap between strategy and results.
Kent has helped businesses grow their talent and achieve their goals. His process is designed to empower you and your teams, giving you the professional tools needed to succeed. His methodology is about creating long-term success, creating the skills needed to exceed organizational objectives and giving proven structure that will change your business forever.
If you find people in your organization making bad choices, you should reach out to Kent Vaughn by visiting his website at https://blazeperformancesolutions.com/ or https://www.linkedin.com/in/kent-vaughn-a75a795/.
Here are a couple of AHA messages from this episode:
* Organizations allowing their people to make bad #Choices should reach out to Kent Vaughn by visiting his website at com or https://www.linkedin.com/in/kent-vaughn-a75a795/.
* We have two kinds of organizations that come to work with us: 1) Those that are already doing really well, but need to go to the next level and 2) those that are on a burning platform. #Choices https://www.linkedin.com/in/kent-vaughn-a75a795/ @BlazePerform
* Organizations that will probably not be around for much longer are where we focus. We either help them by strategically transforming the C-suite all the way through leadership teams, and those in the frontline. #Choices https://www.linkedin.com/in/kent-vaughn-a75a795/ @BlazePerform
* How do we help people make breakthrough #Choices every day on the job. It’s reminding them that “they didn’t start this job to be a failure.” https://www.linkedin.com/in/kent-vaughn-a75a795/ @BlazePerform
* In those 30 years that we’ve been operating, we have helped organizations exceed their expectations and also helped their people make better #Choices. https://www.linkedin.com/in/kent-vaughn-a75a795/ @BlazePerform
To view the video interview click here.
#694: Joe Wallace and Mitchell Levy on Thought Leader Life Credibility Episode
How to increase your revenue to recover from the pandemic. This episode features #ThoughtLeader and #Expert Joe Wallace (https://www.linkedin.com/in/joe-wallace-4646a24/). He is the CEO and Chief Innovation Officer of the Coachella Valley Economic Partnership that operates the Palm Springs Innovation Hub where he also serves as the founding Managing Director. Joe entered the world of mentoring entrepreneurs and businesses serving as the founding President and CEO of the Growth Alliance for Greater Evansville and Innovation Pointe where entrepreneurship was the prime focus.
Joe’s work has been honored with the CSU San Bernardino’s Spirit of the Entrepreneur Award, the R & D Top 100 Award, the Clean Air Award,
Episode 151: Protecting Your IP and Your Relationships
Last week, Sharon Toerek and I joined Chip Griffin for his weekly Small Agency Talk Show. Outside of being one of the foremost experts on how agency owners can protect themselves from a business perspective, she also is an expert on when and how to copyright your intellectual property. She also happens to be my attorney—and has helped me gain copyright and trademark rights for the PESO Model and all of its assets.
As part of the discussion, we touched on how to protect your IP and how to protect your ideas when speaking with prospects or in new business presentations. We want to showcase how smart we are by providing ideas, but (for the most part) those ideas aren’t protected if the prospect weren’t to hire us. That’s a topic for at least one podcast episode, but that’s not what we’re going to talk about today.
Today we are going to talk about why communicators are afraid to stick up for themselves, rock the boat, question authority, or ask fearless questions. Stay tuned for that on this week’s Spin Sucks Podcast episode.
* Small Agency Talk Show
* Agency Leadership podcast
* PESO Model program
* A More Beautiful Question
* Spin Sucks Community
I love PR Pros!
I love how insightful the conversations are and I always look forward to learning more about new tips and tricks that I can use daily.